How do bodybuilders eat 3000-4000 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I've easily eaten 4000 cals in a day and I'm not a body builder. I'm 5'3 135lbs. It wasn't junk food either. Healthy fats and nuts add up really fast.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that my goal is to lose weight and look better. In hopes of that, I usually lift weights 4 times a week and usually do 20-60 minutes of cardio after each weight lifting session.

I eat clean most of the time, lean white meats and fish, veggies like broccoli, try to stay under 20g of sugar each day.

I have a suspicion that I am not eating enough. I feel like I eat all the time (4-5 times a day) and have a hard time getting over 1200 calories a day without milk and protein shakes. I am 5'8 195 lbs. I have decent muscle on my frame and last I had a BF check done I was at 21.6% BF. My goal is to get to 10% by next summer.

For the last 5 months I have fluctuated between 205 and 195 and while my diet isn't 100% clean 100% of the time, I feel like
    I put in a clean diet 90% of the time and the times I don't are on the weekends and even then I am not eating that bad.
    I may be eating out, but I am eating like steak, grilled shrimp and veggies or a baked potato.

I really need help here trying to figure out what I need to do to get the best results.
    I have no problems with energy levels as it is and I have read that you should cut carb intake until you feel a lose of energy.
    But I am around 1200 calories a day an my workouts usually burn around 600 calories.
    Any help and advice is appreciated, I read a lot of stuff on the internet and am kind of lost on what my next step needs to be.

Eat more, stop worrying about eating 'clean' so much. Get adequate protein, fat and don't be afraid of carbs. I eat so called 'unclean' food often, it never impairs my progress while cutting.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of foods that are calorie-dense and healthy if cooked at home properly if you're concerned about getting too much salt or the other *kitten* in most out-to-eat food: steak, pork chops, ground beef, dark meat chicken and turkey with skin on, whole butter, whole milk, homemade breads, potatoes, etc. Start cooking with more oils like olive oil, canola oil, and vegetable oil. If you're comfortable cooking at home, the sky is the limit with that kind of calorie budget.

Enjoy yourself. Enjoy eating. You shouldn't be afraid of food. There's nothing wrong with things like ice cream and other processed foods either as long as it fits your calorie budget, your macros, and you're getting enough micronutrients (vitamins and minerals from things like veggies and fruit).

Also, I'm not ripping on you at all, just trying to offer some help as are most other people here. Don't take it personally. Most of us are just pretty shocked and concerned about your intake level.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Drop the obsession with eating clean. It sounds like you are on the fringe of orthorexia, and the need/desire/compulsion to "eat clean" is preventing you from eating enough. If I understand this correctly, your total intake is 1200 calories, with 600 calories burned, leaving you at a regular NET intake of 600 calories. You need to eat more, first and foremost.

How long have you been doing this? Frankly, I can't believe you haven't already burned out.

^^this.

Get your fruits and veggies in to make sure you get your micronutirents. After that, there is no reason to 'eat clean', especially as it is preventing you from eating enough. Make sure you get enough fats from different sources and protein to make sure you hit your macronutrients.

I agree with both of these. Additionaly, there are nutrient dense, calorie dense foods like greek yogurt, nuts and nut butters, whole milk and cheese, grilled beef, avocado and more. I call BS on not being able to get more calories. That "I can only eat so much chicken and veggies" is an excuse. I am about your size and eat more than double what you do just for maintenance. You are setting yourself up for long term issues if you don't eat more!
  • mmapags
    Options
    To get more cals you don't have to eat more food, just make different food choices.
    Avoid diet and lite foods
    eat/drink higher MF% milk products
    Each a *kitten* ton of nuts, seeds, nut butter, dehydrated fruit as snacks
    Drink more cals, juice, smoothie, shakes by replacing a couple glasses of water with these
    add olive oil to soups, sauces and salads
    add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    etc.

Thanks, this sounds like pretty sound advice.
    I didn't figure I'd get ripped so badly for trying to educate myself. It's obvious I don't know how to eat right or I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

Sorry that you feel you are getting ripped. What I see in the people posting in extreme concern because you are eating at a dangerously low level for a man your size. Think of it as tough love.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites when I need to add calories is a big-azz sweet potato baked or microwaved, topped with real butter, ~75 g plain 2% greek yogurt, and drizzled with honey. Sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon. "clean" carbs, fat, some protein, and around 600 calories, and DELICIOUS enough to subside dessert cravings.
  • briang1224
    Options
    Well when I signed up here, I just went by the guided goal calculator for what was recommended and put in my macros weighted
    more for 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carb. I said I wanted to lose 2 lb a week and the thing spit out 1300 calories a day with me working out 4 times a week for 90 minutes each.

I just customized my goals with 2400 calories a day with 2400 calories burned a week for a deficit of .3 lbs per week.
    I guess I will adjust up or down from there.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I didn't figure I'd get ripped so badly for trying to educate myself. It's obvious I don't know how to eat right or I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

Rule number one, Don't ask for bulking/gaining advice on this site, people get extremely assy about it...Apparently if you don't get extreme enjoyment out of stuffing vast amounts of food into your self you are not welcome on MFP, and yes this comes from a gainer...been there done that
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    To get more cals you don't have to eat more food, just make different food choices.
    Avoid diet and lite foods
    eat/drink higher MF% milk products
    Each a *kitten* ton of nuts, seeds, nut butter, dehydrated fruit as snacks
    Drink more cals, juice, smoothie, shakes by replacing a couple glasses of water with these
    add olive oil to soups, sauces and salads
    add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    etc.

I was also VERY nervous about adding calories back on - though I know I needed to bulk up to start seeing some muscle/strength gains. I followed advice from many of the same folks on this thread advising you and have added about a pound a week over the past three weeks. There will be some anxiety at first, but you should start noticing improvements in the gym and that helps. Check out my diary if you want - nothing special, I ensure I get my protein/fats in and then just shoot for calories. Good luck!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    its because they have high bodyweights off season.. when i was dirty bulking around 215ish i was around 3500-4k a day.. someone around 240 is like at 5-6k a day
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Remember, when you set up your numbers, your exercise is NOT included in those calculations, it is just a goal for you to hit. You need to eat back your exercise calories. The calories are set by your stated activity level.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Well when I signed up here, I just went by the guided goal calculator for what was recommended and put in my macros weighted
    more for 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carb. I said I wanted to lose 2 lb a week and the thing spit out 1300 calories a day with me working out 4 times a week for 90 minutes each.

I just customized my goals with 2400 calories a day with 2400 calories burned a week for a deficit of .3 lbs per week.

sounds like you have it figured out then!
    That is the best way to do it IMO
    Estimate your TDEE and readjust in a few weeks. Give it time before you adjust though
  • mmapags
    Options

Understood. To lose at 2 lbs per week for anything but a short period of time in not particularly effective. Good adjustment on the loss rate. Also, adjust your macros to where you are getting about 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35 grams of fat per lb of body weight and the balance in carbs. The default macros are not very good, especially for someone doing strength training.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that my goal is to lose weight and look better. In hopes of that, I usually lift weights 4 times a week and usually do 20-60 minutes of cardio after each weight lifting session.

I eat clean most of the time, lean white meats and fish, veggies like broccoli, try to stay under 20g of sugar each day.

I have a suspicion that I am not eating enough. I feel like I eat all the time (4-5 times a day) and have a hard time getting over 1200 calories a day without milk and protein shakes. I am 5'8 195 lbs. I have decent muscle on my frame and last I had a BF check done I was at 21.6% BF. My goal is to get to 10% by next summer.

For the last 5 months I have fluctuated between 205 and 195 and while my diet isn't 100% clean 100% of the time, I feel like
    I put in a clean diet 90% of the time and the times I don't are on the weekends and even then I am not eating that bad.
    I may be eating out, but I am eating like steak, grilled shrimp and veggies or a baked potato.

I really need help here trying to figure out what I need to do to get the best results.
    I have no problems with energy levels as it is and I have read that you should cut carb intake until you feel a lose of energy.
    But I am around 1200 calories a day an my workouts usually burn around 600 calories.
    Any help and advice is appreciated, I read a lot of stuff on the internet and am kind of lost on what my next step needs to be.

You need to eat the right amount for YOU. Don't compare to what others eat unless they are close to your height and body type and body fat percentage. Many body builders can eat more because they take steroids, or hormones and don't want to admit it, not all but some. Guys will build muscle faster than girls. You don't need "extra" food, you just need enough food.

Brad Pilon just posted a good article on his blog about this today.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yea, the more you eat, the hungrier you will get and the better you will feel...And your body will thank you.

DO not go by MFP's calculations. Not sure if you have many pals on here, but I would suggest adding some of the people who have commented. Most pals will help to keep you accountable and give good info that will help you attain your goals.

Wish you the best. You seem really nice and genuinely just needed some direction.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Exercise calories don't get figured in to the calorie count at all. You can set it to zero and all your numbers will remain the same- because you're expected to log the exercise calories and eat them back. It's just there as a personal goal for you.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you need to eat more. I'm a female, 4 inches shorter, 60 pounds lighter, and I STARVE on 1,200 calories. On my long run days when I have high burns, I easily eat 2,000 calories minimum. Up your calories slowly, focus on macros (carb/protein/fat ratio) and check out the EM2WL (Eat More to Weigh Less) group for some interesting info.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    When I was bodybuilding I would eat 3500-4000 a day....that is a ton of food if your eating nothing but rice and tuna fish but the good thing is, ya never ever get hungry, lol. Its pretty easy eating enough even at that level with nothing but health foods... pretty damn easy if your eating pizza though:) Either way, I ate about every 2-3 hours from the time I woke up until about 7 or 8 at night- usually about 5-6 meals a day. Usually ate 2 cans of tuna and 2 cups of rice with each meal... fun times, lol.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Exercise calories don't get figured in to the calorie count at all. You can set it to zero and all your numbers will remain the same- because you're expected to log the exercise calories and eat them back. It's just there as a personal goal for you.

Thank you! Glad someone said it.