30 Minute Session vs (2) 15 Minute Sessions

Options
Does a straight 30 minute session of cardio burn more calories than doing 2 15 minute sessions? Or is it equal in the amount of calories burnt? I ask because some nights I just don't have it in me to go a straight 30 minutes where as I can usually go 15 take a quick 2 - 5 minute break and then go another 15.

Replies

• cegeland
    cegeland Posts: 25
    Options
    Does a straight 30 minute session of cardio burn more calories than doing 2 15 minute sessions? Or is it equal in the amount of calories burnt? I ask because some nights I just don't have it in me to go a straight 30 minutes where as I can usually go 15 take a quick 2 - 5 minute break and then go another 15.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the actual answer but I have heard many nutritionists say to get your exercise in anyway you can and if that means splitting it up, then do it. In your case, you are only taking a few minutes breaking... I know a lot of people who do 15-20 in the morning and then another 15-20 in the afternoon/evening.
  • DevilDog
    DevilDog Posts: 37
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. Experts say that maintaining you heart rate for a minimum of 20 minutes is the most effective. This may be true but you're talking about calorie burning........I would guess that it doesn't matter too much. Just remember, you continue to burn calories after you workout.....so this means you may be better off with the break that you're taking because you're burning for 15 minutes then break......still burning calories......then you do your second 15 minute workout.

Remember.....do what works for you.

Good luck.

DD
  • alyssa150
    alyssa150 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I not sure, but i alway do 2 15 minute session, one in the morning before my kids awake up and the the other when my husband get off work. I would love to know which is better.
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    While i agree that any thing is better than nothing. i have read several times over the years that to get the true benifits of a cardio work out you need to keep your heart rate up for at least 20 mins?

there is a cardio plan i read on http://www.ast-ss.com that calls for 16 mins workouts at your max out put. it is tough, i did it for a while. have recently started using the same principle but for 30 mins work outs 3 days a week. just did one and im smoked.

Tim
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Both are correct, depending on your ultimate goal: calories v. cardiovascular

If you are doing less than 20-30 min, you will not make great strides in your aerobic capacity. However, you will likely maintain higher intensity during two 15 min bouts as opposed to one 30 min bout; result = even MORE calories burned.

This is why interval training is so popular. Spend 5 min on an easy warm-up, do your 10-15 min interval, active rest (keep moving/walking/anything!), then another 10-15 min, followed by a cool down. You will combine the two and get some cardio benefits.

Good Luck! :drinker: