Why Can Some Dieters Eat More?

Options
I see such a variety of calorie intakes here with people who are losing weight. For those of you who are eating 2,000 or more calories a day and still losing weight, what's your secret? What do you think you're doing that allows you to eat so much more than other dieters?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    One way is if you are very large and don't choose the most drastic approach that you can find. Most people immediately jump on either choosing 2 lbs per week loss or manually set their budget to 1200 because they think it will make it all happen faster. A large, young man will have a calorie intake of well over 2,000 calories a day even at a deficit.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I see such a variety of calorie intakes here with people who are losing weight. For those of you who are eating 2,000 or more calories a day and still losing weight, what's your secret? What do you think you're doing that allows you to eat so much more than other dieters?

Our secret is that we calculated our TDEE and took a 20% cut from that, instead of just relying on MFP numbers.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    They have likely/are likely doing 1 or more of the following:

1. Researched the numbers, know their TDEE / BMRs
    2. Have a lot to lose
    3. Work out hard

I have #1 & #2 - I'm at 1800, if I added #3 I would be well over 2k.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of factors. Some people have higher metabolisms. Some have more weight to lose. Some are just naturally more active, and tend to move more and sit less. There are a ton of factors that effect how many calories. Oh, and age does as well!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Exercising! I lost most of my weight eating 3,000 cals per day.

That said, don't assume that someone you see pigging out and losing weight is always eating the same way. That skinny guy you see stuffing his face at cheesecake factory may have only eaten broccoli and lettuce all day up until dinner time.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat 2200 calories a day just to lose weight
    I'm 5ft3 and about 120 lbs

There is no secret, I am just active.
    I am a full time student, I walk to class everyday, I have physical training in the am, and work after class.

I don't sit in front of the TV or computer for hours, I am constantly moving or doing something.
    Only workouts I do are PT and lifting
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Our secret is that we calculated our TDEE and took a 20% cut from that, instead of just relying on MFP numbers.

And exactly this.
    Mfp says my TDEE is around 2k calories, when it is really 2700 most days.
    Not even close
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just got my metabolism tested. So some info: I'm a 21 year old female who is 5'11'' and I have another 102lbs to lose. To lose 2lbs a week I can NET 1916 according to the testing I had done.

I'm doing fairly well. I have mfp set to 1800 net for the day because I struggle to eat 1900 and I want to eat healthy, not eat just for the sake of eating. I struggle with finding the correct food still, but it's not an instant change. It's for the rest of my life so I'm not concerned with bad days or food that is considered wrong or unhealthy. Balance is the key.

I'd say I'm doing well. In 50 days I've lost 25lbs.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take a lot of calories to fuel sitting at a computer all day every day; that's why I don't get many calories at baseline. I get a few more by exercising.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    - It helps to not sit around all day doing nothing. Lots of exercise allows you to eat a lot more.

- Not having overly aggressive goals. Not everyone has or should have a ZOMG MUST LOOZ NOW!!!! 2 lb/wk goal.

- People who understand the value of full diet breaks and now allowing your metabolism to downward adapt.

- People who strenght train hard. Low rep hard strength training has a significant calorie cost for recovery.

- People who can calculate what their real calorie needs are and make rational calorie target decisions based on those needs.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I eat 2200 calories a day just to lose weight
    I'm 5ft3 and about 120 lbs

There is no secret, I am just active.
    I am a full time student, I walk to class everyday, I have physical training in the am, and work after class.

I don't sit in front of the TV or computer for hours, I am constantly moving or doing something.
    Only workouts I do are PT and lifting

I adore you SUNSHINE! :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I just got my metabolism tested. So some info: I'm a 21 year old female who is 5'11'' and I have another 102lbs to lose. To lose 2lbs a week I can NET 1916 according to the testing I had done.

I'm doing fairly well. I have mfp set to 1800 net for the day because I struggle to eat 1900 and I want to eat healthy, not eat just for the sake of eating. I struggle with finding the correct food still, but it's not an instant change. It's for the rest of my life so I'm not concerned with bad days or food that is considered wrong or unhealthy. Balance is the key.

I'd say I'm doing well. In 50 days I've lost 25lbs.

According to your data though you are netting a 1750 cal/day deficit on average (25 lbs in 50 days).

You aren't doing as well as you think, when you have your calorie targets right, you should lose at exactly the rate you beleive you have set. With a deficit that big you'll stall out and plateau sooner rather than later and lose a lot of LBM in the process.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I stalled out at 1320 calories after losing about 40ish pounds. I researched the roadmap that some on here have had great success with. Now Im up at 1690 and the scale has started to move again. It took about 2ish weeks to adjust.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight and activity level accounts for most of it
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wizardry.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    They probably have more muscle mass = faster metabolisms. OR they're more active on a day to day basis, like they have a job that requires lots of walking or lifting. OR they just weigh more & are taller so they have higher calorie requirements.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Wizardry.
    ^^^^^^^This. All this.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Exercise. I lose at 3100. Or Wizardry whichever.
  • mreuvers
    mreuvers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Because I'm 6'1" and a man. Short women definitely get the short end of the stick.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight while training for endurance running events... so I would eat net 1600, which was about 2100 calories/day after my calorie burns were factored in. Now I'm running WAY less and pretty much maintaining on 2200 calories... but I'm still burning a little fat that's left. I'm getting leaner but the scale isn't changing. I'm 37 years old, 5'7" and weigh 160 lbs at about 25% BF.