Beer / Ale calories

M0TZO
M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
Seems that a well know beer listings site with calorie listings might be using 12 fl oz as a reference instead of pints.

I'm waiting to hear back, but is anyone else a Real Ale drinker & noticed their weight loss has plateaued?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I'm in Canada. We go by ml. here. So, pretty easy to get it right. Most of the breweries publish this.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I've always been a healthy weight. We brew our own wine & beer at home. :) As long as it fits into your daily calorie goals for the day you should be fine. Like any of your loves it is easy to overdo it...
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    i had to completely give up ale and beer in order to keep losing weight. Every time I would have anything that was brewed with wheat I would gain two lbs and it would stick around for abt three days. To make things easier on myself I just gave it up. Normally will only have a beer once every other month. I used to drink two a week.
  • I see no problem with drinking beer and counting the calories and continuing my weight loss goals to date. I guess if I get within the last 5 lbs of my goal, I may need to assess my situation to see if my beer consumption will make the difference for me. If anything I find I can put in an extra mile or so on my long run just to enjoy that extra beer or two on that day. I hope this makes sense in response to your question.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Well, since 1 pint is 16 ounces, it should be simple math if all you can find is 12 ounce references, right?

I still enjoy a frosty barley pop or three. I don't drink anything with the words "Mich," "Bud," "Coors" or "Light" in the name (you can find my list of "favorites" in the similarly named topic from yesterday on the Chit Chat board). Usually I'll save my beer consumption for days I run (burned 600 calories? Drink them back!) or "special" days like today (being Halloween and all). I will state that I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, so sticking with high-gravity, "sipping" beers is OK by me.
  • FuzzyDicePHL
    FuzzyDicePHL Posts: 51 Member
    Craft beer is a hobby for me and I've been VERY pleasantly surprised at finding even some of the less popular selections in the MFP database. Even if you enter it yourself and all you can find is the info on calories/12oz serving, you can still enter that and just note that you had 16 serving at 1oz each.

Obviously, the lower the ABV, the fewer the calories. Just my luck that I'm not a fan of pales or pilsners. Gimme a double IPA or a bourbon-barrel-aged stout any day. :P
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    There is ALWAYS room for beer.:drinker:
  • Now that I am watching my intake closely, I see that fact that it is alcohol matters much more than the caloric intake. I think it does something to my metabolism and my momentum goes completely the other way, even if I am not overdoing it. I lose weight all week, and then Monday it is bad news. I plan an alcohol free weekend this weekend and see what happens.
  • dustinbattistone
    dustinbattistone Posts: 2 Member
    I am a HUGE IPA fan (Stone IPA, Lagunitas Maximus, etc.) and Real Ale fan, and those are simply on the high end for carbs and calories. The hard part is realizing a couple heavy IPAs is like a eating a big bowl of pasta...you really need to watch it.

I simply drink less of those heavy ones nowadays, or at all for that matter, but if I know I'll be drinking I alternate between an IPA and a pee pee beer like Michelob Ultra. Stone IPA, then Michelob Ultra, then do it again...then again. :) It's a big difference though, 95 calories and 3 carbs for the Ultra vs 200 calories and 35 carbs for the Stone IPA.

12oz = 355ml
    1 pint = 16oz = 473ml

Beer is not evil (and if it is I still want it), but it sure isn't going to help our bodies in most cases.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    You didn't mention the site you were referencing but I assume ratebeer? If so, then yes, all of their caloric estimates are in 12 ounce servings which is typical.

Oh, and I've entered around 700 craft beers into the database so far. So if you find what you're looking for - you're welcome! :)

As far as it slowing down your weight loss, no. I've lost 74lbs and had probably close to 1000 beers in that time.
  • rozeltf
    rozeltf Posts: 23 Member
    I added a generic 12 ounce and 16 ounce beer to My Foods section and just use that instead of worrying about finding every beer I drink. I use 180 and 235 respectively. If I drink something I know is significantly less/more I'll punch it in. I've gone from 246 to 206 since January and I drink a LOT of craft beer.
    Cheers!
  • FuzzyDicePHL
    FuzzyDicePHL Posts: 51 Member
    I hope it's not against MFP rules to post this link here, but here it goes:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • M0TZO
    M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
    Also don't forget there is two pint measures.

In USA it's 16 fl oz to pint

Here in UK it's 19.21 fl oz to a pint.