Alternative to bench press due to labral tear?

Options
All,

I have a repaired labrum in my right shoulder and a torn one along with a a slight rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder. I can't bench press without signifcant pain in my left shoulder unless it is with weights that I could easily do 50 or more reps. I have been advised not to bench any futher until I have the left shoulder repaired and get cleared but the shoulder doesn't bother me with 95% or more of daily life so I am not going to get it repaired yet and need to figure out good chest exercises that I can do.

Here are some of the things I do now:
1) Bosu Pushup Wide grip (normal way black side facing up, round part on the ground)
2) Bosu pushup triangle grip (normal way black side facing up, round part on the ground)
3) Bosu pushup waks - round side up - start in a pushup positon to the left of the bosu, move your right hand to the middle of the bosu ball, do a pushup, move the left hand to the top of the bosu ball then move your right hand to the floor and do a pushup, move your right hand back to the top of the ball and then move your left hand down to the floor and do a push up then bring your right hand to the floor - 1 rep - no repeat - it is a modified version of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsmPQ1G0jg
4) A version of cable cross overs with bands.

Those cause some discomfort in the left shoulder but nothing like the bench press and they should strengthen it over time.
I am going to try flys but am concerned that they will create issues like the bench press.

Any other ideas for chest exercises that might be a bit untraditional or that you have done with labral tears or bicep tendon issues? Note - i am limited to 90 degree weight bearing.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    had the same tear in the same shoulder from playing baseball... couldnt bench 135 in high school then i knew i had to get surgery... now my shoulders are my strongest body part!!! get surgery man! especially if its just arthoscopic like mine was it doesnt take too long to heal.