Women, Weight Gain and "Aunt Flo"

Options
So I gained anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds today (depending on which scale you believe.) This was after last week reaching a weight low enough to weigh at home. I know, the little victories.

I really had no business stepping on a scale because "Aunt Flo" is still in town, but since she's barely making her presence known, I decided to risk the frustration.

And then I remembered the time I weighed myself just before my vacation. About how my cycle persisted through most of the trip. About how I rarely logged food or exercise, and how I had made some horrendous choices. And how I stepped on the scale upon my return and had GAINED 4 pounds.

And then 3 days later I stepped on the scale and had LOST 8 pounds. In 3 days. Yeah, I know.

Now the scale says I'm back at that weight, which would undo every bit of progress from the past month. And yet, every pair of pants I own is droopy, more so than last month.

I am convinced that I gain at least 8 pounds every month, and don't shed it until at least a week after my cycle is complete.

I plan to start avoiding a scale during this time in the future, or at least start viewing it with a healthy sense of skepticism.

Replies

• alliet12
    alliet12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!! A few years ago I was doing Jenny Craig (way to expensive and you don't learn how to eat the right portions) I gained weight being that aunt flo was in town and i was sooo frustrated. My "coach" told me it is mostly water weight. So the next month I took her advice, stay away from super salty things and drink LOTS of water during that time of the month. That way you won't retain water as much or get that huge bloated feeling. I tried it, and instead of going up a few pounds during aunt flows visit I either went up a few onces or maintained.
  • MrsTre
    MrsTre Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude. If the scale will discourage you stay away from it. If you can cut way back on the sodium, that's even better.
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    I added sodium to my macros. I'm not really restricting it, just curious as to how much I consume. I was shocked that 2 biscuits had more than 1,000 miligrams of sodium, more than twice the sodium in the gravy that went on them!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Aunt Flo doesn't come visiting any more but I still retain fluid on a 4-6 week basis.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hmmm second Aunt Flo commentary of the day....apparently it is that TOM for all of us......
  • kullyg
    kullyg Posts: 17
    Options
    I have the implant and so dont have Aunt Flo but get all the symptons...crraving junk, spots and getting bloated. Last 2 months though have had a bit of spotting and felt worse. If I go by the scales, it would seem I have put on 8lb in a week, and my total weight loss is 9lbs! Obviously that isnt right as my smaller clothes still fit, but still very disheartening. chin up and look forward to being back to normal next week. x
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    About how my cycle persisted through most of the trip.

boo, hiss!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    on a side note, ladies whats with the 'aunty flo' and 'TOM' (dont even know what that stands for'.

lets call it our periods, or menstruation etc.!

men are freaking proud of every single thing they do - even burping and their ability to fart when prompted. we need to take our bodies back and be proud too.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    Time of Month and I just use it because it is funny. (I can tell "Aunt Flo" to pack her bags and go home!) This morning I dropped 2 lbs of water weight. Fiber will do that for ya. Apparently I lose weight by flushing it away.
  • live2love2012
    Options
    Hmmm second Aunt Flo commentary of the day....apparently it is that TOM for all of us......

Haha!! It totally is that time.....however I get symptoms a week before and during.....so irritating! But I know that it will be over..it's nice to know it only last a few days, but seems forever.....