Halloween Etiquette

Options

Replies

• spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    We'd just be happy to see some kids. We had exactly ONE little witch tonight--she didn't say Trick or Treat, she said Happy Halloween!!! twice :) Every year it seems like there are fewer. Granted, we didn't decorate this year, but I put some candles near the door so you could see them through the window.

We'll turn the light off in a few minutes here. I think in a city suburb like we live in, the kids are increasingly going to organized events to trick or treat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just blew out the jack o'lantern candle and turned off the light. No kids this year. Second time since we moved here. :-(

Oh well.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Tonight, a lot of creatures may visit your door. Be open minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" might be painfully shy, non-verbal, or selectively mute. If you cannot understand their words, they may struggle with developmental apraxia of speech. They are thankful in their hearts and minds. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have a life-threatening allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have Sensory Processing Disorder or autism. And as we all know, the child who is rolling their eyes at you may have Tourette's Syndrome. Be kind, be patient, smile. It's everyone's Halloween. Make a parent feel good by making a big deal of their special child. Please share and remind others

This is my opinion. other than that be nice. Its a kids day.

While I respect those possibilities, 99% of the time they are not the case.... I'm not some scrooge who throws the candy at the kids and slams the door. I just think kids are never to young to start learning to be polite.

I agree with the polite but not your 99%. You would be surprised
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to see them that if they aren't busting out the TOTs... I am.... while shoveling the candy in their bags.... like handfuls... big ones......and we took our daughter to the four houses on our street and called it night... she still got over 20 pieces of candy cause people were shoveling it in her pumpkin.... le sigh,,,,,,,
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    If they don't say trick or treat, I say "no solicitors" and use my hatchet to point to the "no trespassing" sign.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't make a big deal about it because quite frankly it's not a big deal. I don't expect anyone to say trick or treat. I appreciate a thank you but dont demand it. And I don't pull any of that "Don't you think you're a little old for this?" crap. Hell I've even given adults candy. If buying candy is such a strain on you that you need to be uptight about who you give it to, then don't participate in Halloween. It's supposed to be a fun night, not a night about rules.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What do you say when all your lights are off and the cutest llittle batman baby knocks on your door and you don't have candy?! :sad:
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I think I'd probably get out the checkbook!

"No need to thank me, citizen..."
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    What do you say when all your lights are off and the cutest llittle batman baby knocks on your door and you don't have candy?! :sad:

"want some pennies?"
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think I'd probably get out the checkbook!

"No need to thank me, citizen..."

*starts writing check now!*
    invisible-million-dollar-check-excitement.jpg
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I just give them the candy cuz I want them to go away as fast as possible.

This. I do appreciate when they say thank you. To me that is far more important than saying "Trick or treat." Oh, and orderly behavior, I had six kids rush me earlier, grabbing at me, making demands about what they wanted. That bothered me.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I just posted this response to another Halloween topic:

(Obviously this is on the parents' shoulders to teach their kids or go with them to the doors, can't expect 4 year olds to know this stuff.)

1. Teach your kids to take one piece, unless the candy-giver specifies otherwise. It's so rude to take whole handful.

2. Say Thank You! The candy might be free to you but someone paid for it. People who have busier TOT neighborhoods may spend upwards of $20 on candy!

3. In my town there is a two hour time frame for TOT. Don't come an hour early or late. Not cool.

4. One knock or doorbell ring is sufficient. Trust me, I hear you.

5. Never ever ever EVER say "Ew I don't like this candy." This needs no further explanation.

I really do love Halloween and passing out candy, I just wish parents would take the time to teach their kids a few manners before sending them out. Obviously kids will be kids, but it's still important to be polite.

....And as for older kids/teenagers/college kids trick or treating: Give 'em a break. Who doesn't like free candy? As long as they're dressed up and polite, who cares? I went trick or treating last year in full costume at 19. Most people were humored and cut me some slack. Happy Halloween!

$20? In a busy neighborhood? I don't know what Halloween candy costs where you live, but it starts around $6 a bag here, $20 would be nothing.

And I've never heard of an official time frame for Trick or Treating.

I'd also, don't clamor for what you want, especially if I just gave you what you asked for.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I just give it. I don't stand on ceremony.

^ Exactly. I"m open for business till I run out of candy or go out for my own fun. I live in a place where some people are still suffering post-Sandy power loss and if Trick or Treating is a way for kids to experience some stability and normalcy I'm okay if some of kids seem rude or don't have costumes. We're all alive today for pete's sake and not in a shelter. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Tonight, a lot of creatures may visit your door. Be open minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" might be painfully shy, non-verbal, or selectively mute. If you cannot understand their words, they may struggle with developmental apraxia of speech. They are thankful in their hearts and minds. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have a life-threatening allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have Sensory Processing Disorder or autism. And as we all know, the child who is rolling their eyes at you may have Tourette's Syndrome. Be kind, be patient, smile. It's everyone's Halloween. Make a parent feel good by making a big deal of their special child. Please share and remind others

I'm a former special education teacher and a friend shared the above post with me today--it may not be the case for all "silent" kids who come to your door, but you never know someone else's story. If you don't feel like you have the patience to open the door and deal with the kids, you could always do what my mom used to do if I wasn't around to hand out candy--she simply turned off all the front lights in the house and didn't answer the door (she doesn't like holidays).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just put the bowl on the front porch and let them help themselves. It avoids the awkwardness, and I'm not tempted to eat it. Its a win-win situation :P

This. I have very noisy pugs and I don't have a fenced backyard. Seems cruel to banish them for the entire evening so the bowl on the porch is best solution, if a little impersonal.
  • Bentley2718
    Options

That happened once when I was little with an older widower who lived next door to us. He gave me a little ceramic chicken that belonged to his wife. I still have that chicken. Way better than candy.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    We went to the mall and took the kids and I kept on saying to my 9yr old and 2yr old who doesn't talk much I might add "Say trick or treat" and had one lady say "No kids ever say that anymore." I said "Most want to stick their bags out and look at you" lol. I also told my son who took his mask off "You are the trick put your mask on so you can get your treat" lol.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

All true. . but more likely he just wasn't raised right.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, it let me see how other people are doing it.

And, I did it because I enjoy doing it, just wanted to know how some of you would handle a say nothing and stare at me look.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If they say nothing I give them last year's stale crappy leftover candy! lol