Why does counting calories drive me up the wall?

Options
I get into a mind frame of wanting to losing weight. And get serious about it. I start counting my calories on here and after a few days I get anxiety about it. I want to rebel. And usually go off the deep end. Then the thought of counting almost makes me sick. It is so tedious and irriating I can't stand it. Then I see how well it works for so many people on this site. Then I want to try again and the same thing happens over and over. It drives me crazy when I make a recipe and you have to do all that work to figure out how many calories are in a serving, etc. Do you all count calories or what works better for you? I feel like I need to lose weight the way I would have to eat for the rest of my life. Since this is a lifestyle change. But I guess I can't or won't count calories for the rest of my life. I guess I need to find it with in myself just to eat healthier and exercise and not expect change overnight. Don't get me wrong I love this site. I love the success stories and message boards. I just don't love the counting part of it. Tell me what you do if you don't count calories.

Replies

• darleyschroeder
    Options
    The only thing that ever worked for me long term was counting calories. I lost 70 pounds counting calories. Then I decided I didn't wanna do it and would just portion control. I was eating whatever I wanted and working out, but it wasn't working for me. It's hard for me to gauge things without counting. That's how I put back on 15-20 pounds and found myfitnesspal.

If you have good willpower and judgement, then portion control and making smarter choices will work for you. But you gotta be careful because those pounds can easily sneak back up!
  • theyrmysun
    theyrmysun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know that it works for a lot of people. I just don't know why I get so aggravated with it. At the same time, I don't feel like I can trust myself not doing it either. Maybe it's the all or nothing mentality, I don't know. How do you make it work?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I actually like it - it gets into the data hungry part of me. I find it educational to figure out what is contributing to my overeating. I also find it empowering because I can decide what is worth eating and what isn't. Like tonight I decided to forgo the second glass of wine and have a piece of chocolate.

Some thoughts of why it might drive YOU crazy . . .

Do you find it fussy and tedious because you're worried you need to be super exact?
    Do you find it limiting because you feel like everything you put in restricts you?

I think your question sis a good one. If you figure out why you hate it, you may be able to figure out how to make it more tolerable for you.

Or join weight watchers. They don't count calories, they count points, and that works too. It's simpler and less detailed. There's no one right way to do anything.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I know that it works for a lot of people. I just don't know why I get so aggravated with it. At the same time, I don't feel like I can trust myself not doing it either. Maybe it's the all or nothing mentality, I don't know. How do you make it work?

I am consistent about my tracking and I try to be accurate - I really do write down everything and have logged every single meal and snack since I started last May. But it's just a tool. I feel comfortable making decisions based on it and do eat what I feel like eating.

That said, I eat pretty clean and have hit my calorie goals every single week and virtually every single day.

From what you said, I'm guessing you feel it is shackling/controlling/limiting you. Maybe you can think about just using it as a guideline?
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I calorie count, but I know what you mean about recipes. I tend to be a "guesstimater". I very rarely put recipes in. I kind of say, "That looks close to what it is." Which can go both ways for me. I used to be too lazy to go through the database and select french press coffee and milk separately, so I just put french press coffee with cream, even though I used lowfat milk. Now I'm a bit better about it, but I still tend to go, "Oh, there were two tomatoes in that salad... I'll say I had one." It has been working for me. I know there may come a time when I need to be more specific, but right now I'm having a lot of success without becoming miserable by counting calories.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    yeah, it might not be the best advice, but maybe just guesstimating might help ease you into it. maybe eventually you'll get excited and focused on logging exactly.. but, for now if you make lemon chicken at home, just search "lemon chicken", find the one you think matches appropriately and call it a day. i think the bigger picture here is just getting in touch with the types of things and the quantities that you are eating every day. most people, when they start logging might find that they eat more than they think, usually mindlessly. log to the best of your abilities right now, it's a start.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    When I track everything I have the best results, but an alternative is to eat the same healthy, low-calorie meals over and over. Or to do something like eliminate all sugar.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Why do you take one day off a week? Then you have a break to look forward to.
  • theyrmysun
    theyrmysun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Partly yes I think it's because I feel I need to be exact. And I will stare at my diary wondering if I forgot anything, kinda obsessing over it. Crazy I know, I Guess I need to lighten up and use it as a guideline.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What works for me, is making most of my food in bulk and storing it as single portions.Then I can put in the whole recipe (usually very easy because I mostly use frozen veg by the bag) so I just need to add one portion of that when I eat it. Because it's just me eating it it doesn't matter if each portion is exactly the same size, because over the course of the week I'll eat the lot so it balances out. I find that weighing food out at every meal time really puts me off, and stops me cooking if there's anyone else around.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING and weigh just about everything. Things I don't weigh/measure: my morning coffee (I checked it a few times and the way I like it is actually a few calories less than the one I use), some fruit if I feel a bit lazy (I know, a big banana can be significantly different to a small banana) and lately, things that are prepackaged and weighed already.

Do you have a smart phone? It makes like a TON easier and mostly just use that to scan items. And despite being so easy, I went through a phase where I hated every minute of it and couldn't wait for it to be "over". Nowadays I don't mind - if I calorie count for the rest of my life, then so be it. It's so easy actually... (you just have to keep on doing it over and over and eventually it will be second nature). For me, it's a bit like breathing now...