Question: Protein requirement if not lifting weights?

Options
I recently switched my macros to 40-30-30. The protein requirement is really high and requires me drinking extra protein shakes, eating jerky and more chicken than I normally would. I know this is recommended to help with muscle growth, especially when weight lifting. But I currently don't have lifting in my routine. Is eating this much protein unecessary or even detrimental if I'm not lifting? Should I go back to MFP's auto macro level?

This post is not an invitation to tell me I need to lift - I have arthritis in my shoulders and have been losing losing weight fine with my current exercise routine. Thanks :)

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if you are not lifting weights or doing other exercise then i would drop it to .8g per lb of lean mass... so you have to figure out what ur bf% is... or you could do something like .6-7 of your current bodyweight.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    if you are not lifting weights or doing other exercise then i would drop it to .8g per lb of lean mass... so you have to figure out what ur bf% is... or you could do something like .6-7 of your current bodyweight.

Thanks! That's really helpful. Could eating too much protein cause me to plateau or gain weight, or will it not make a difference? Thanks :)

I am 5'7" tall and 167 pounds so MFP says my BMI is 26.2.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you were losing weight just fine, why did you change anything? Don't fix what ain't broke!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Thanks! That's really helpful. Could eating too much protein cause me to plateau or gain weight, or will it not make a difference? Thanks :)

no you can eat extra protein if you want... but if you arent exercising you can eat less. but if i were you id still eat around 1g per lb of weight just because i love protein and its benefits and it satiates you longer than a carbohydrate would... if by plateau u mean plateau weight loss then maybe if you dont get enough protein you have a greater chance of plateauing but its about calories in vs out in the end.
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    To divemunkey: Good point - I changed it because with the auto settings, I was always under carbs and over protein and I wanted to challenge myself to eat even better, and people on MFP kept saying the 40-30-30 ratio was ideal (zone diet ratio).
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys. I did the body fat % calculation you recommended, and I'm on track eating 30% of my calories from protein. It's just really hard for me to eat that much protein - I rarely meet my target.