Back from the brink

Options
Phew! That was a close one. I let myself get wayyyyy too hungry today, so by the time I hit Trader Joe's at 4pm I was STARVING and dangerously close to stuffing myself. I know the pattern now -- stuffing myself with healthy food (or pseudo-healthy stuff, like bananas with peanut butter, turkey on whole wheat, raisins, carrots with hummus, etc.) is still stuffing myself.. It's not like I'm cramming down cheese fries

(mmmmm...cheeeeeeese fries)

...but it's still eating until I'm past full and I am DETERMINED not to do that.

So, I had some sushi, followed by one serving of excellent dark chocolate with a few raisins, some of those outstanding freeze-dried rambutan, and then I stopped even though I was still hungry and could have eaten the whole candy bar and all of the raisins. I decided to see if it's really true, that it can take 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full once it's digested. I got up, brushed my teeth, picked up a magazine, and whaddaya know, in a few minutes I realized that I really was full.

Anyhoo. Just thought I would share my little mini-success for today. The accountability of logging every bite I put in my mouth is SUCH a great deterrent for me.

It feels really good to stay strong!

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Phew! That was a close one. I let myself get wayyyyy too hungry today, so by the time I hit Trader Joe's at 4pm I was STARVING and dangerously close to stuffing myself. I know the pattern now -- stuffing myself with healthy food (or pseudo-healthy stuff, like bananas with peanut butter, turkey on whole wheat, raisins, carrots with hummus, etc.) is still stuffing myself.. It's not like I'm cramming down cheese fries

(mmmmm...cheeeeeeese fries)

...but it's still eating until I'm past full and I am DETERMINED not to do that.

So, I had some sushi, followed by one serving of excellent dark chocolate with a few raisins, some of those outstanding freeze-dried rambutan, and then I stopped even though I was still hungry and could have eaten the whole candy bar and all of the raisins. I decided to see if it's really true, that it can take 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full once it's digested. I got up, brushed my teeth, picked up a magazine, and whaddaya know, in a few minutes I realized that I really was full.

Anyhoo. Just thought I would share my little mini-success for today. The accountability of logging every bite I put in my mouth is SUCH a great deterrent for me.

It feels really good to stay strong!
  • rhondababy
    rhondababy Posts: 119
    Options
    Good for you!
    I didn't have such good luck today. Feeling lonely, and bogged down by deadlines, I succumbed to pizza!
    Probably the worst thing I could have done!
    But, I did decide to log on, and record it; I was tempted to just wait until tomorrow and start over. I went over by 650 calories, and now way to uncomfortable to exercise!
    Your post is inspiring!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Always go for a short walk after stuffing. It will make you feel better.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Rhondababy...thanks for the note. Good job on logging the pizza regardless. That's been a huge step for me -- admitting on (virtual) paper when I mess up instead of scrapping the whole day.

I agree with Mary -- a walk, even if it's just 10 or 20 minutes, always makes me feel just the tiniest bit better.

Today is a new day, let's forge ahead together! One day at a time, as they say. We can do it.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    You did great!! Sometimes you do have to incorporate "real life" into this plan. Every day can't be perfection, that's for sure!!

It really is amazing to find out how much less we can eat and still end up feeling satisfied in the end. Sometimes even just a cup of yogurt will do the trick for me.

I love Trader Joes. It is hard to not buy the snacky things they have. Even though a lot of it is healthier (not ALL but a lot), it is easy to over-do it! Something I LOVE and have a hard time eating small portions of is granola or trail-mix. I am trying to find some lower fat recipes!

Take care!
    Tami
  • rhondababy
    rhondababy Posts: 119
    Options
    Rhondababy...thanks for the note. Good job on logging the pizza regardless. That's been a huge step for me -- admitting on (virtual) paper when I mess up instead of scrapping the whole day.
    I agree with Mary -- a walk, even if it's just 10 or 20 minutes, always makes me feel just the tiniest bit better.
    Today is a new day, let's forge ahead together! One day at a time, as they say. We can do it.

Thanks for your note, too! This site is so supportive- I never feel judged, and always feel better after talking about a problem.

Thanks for the walking reminder Mary- I often sabotage myself, so once I have over-eaten I have trouble doing something positive.
    :smile: