ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
This is my new favorite recipe so I thought I'd share:

Shrimp Fried Quinoa, serves 1

4.5 oz shrimp, weighed after boiling without tails, each cut into 4 pieces
1 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp shallot, sliced thin
3 oz baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup cooked quinoa (I like to make the quinoa in larger batches all at once and then use it as needed from the fridge)
1 egg white
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce

Cut up shrimp into small pieces and set aside. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat, add garlic and shallot and cook until fragrant. Add mushrooms, toss with garlic/shallot, cover and simmer, stirring often, until mushrooms are soft. Add shrimp and toss until hot. Add quinoa and toast, stirring often. Create a well in the center of the pan and add egg white. Immediately begin stirring constantly and cook until egg white is thoroughly cooked/incorporated. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, chives, and soy sauce. Serve.

Calories: 432, Protein: 30, Fat: 17, Carbs: 29

The original recipe called for a whole egg. I cut it to just the white because it was too filling and I kept going over on protein. I've also made it with chicken and it was still good, but I like the shrimp better. Disclaimer- the recipe isn't mine originally. I got it from practicalcookingforone.com

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious ...... you're making me hungry ...... thanks for sharing :drinker:
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've never had quinoa. Think this is a good starter recipe? Hmm...
  • GIFINA
    Options
    Did the Quinoa made the meal thick? Did you like the flavor?:smile:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump! Yum!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It was my first experience with quinoa and I am hooked. I love it-- so much more flavorful than rice and the texture was awesome. I made a cup of it in advance (which actually expands to about 2 1/2 cups) and put it in a tupperware container in the fridge.

If you're not keen on quinoa I tried it the first time with rice and it was also good, but not as good. :)
  • mssoulrebel_77
    Options
    That looks great! Can't wait to try it!
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing, thank you for the recipe.
  • lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump