Gastric Sleeve

Options
2»

Replies

• Movinsue
    Options
    I had a gastric plication in Dec 2011 which is very similar to a gastric sleeve. The difference is the stomach is not cut. It is, instead, folded into a "taco" and then double sutured. The result is a tiny tummy--and it has been the best money I ever spent!

My insurance would have payed 100% for a band, but when I read about the plication, I decided to spend my own money and have that done instead. I did not like the idea of a foreign device residing in my body.

I lost nearly 30 lbs in the first 6 weeks and stabilized to a weight that has not varied by 2 lbs over the last year--despite a cruise to Alaska!

Now, I am still too heavy for my height at 172 lbs on small 5'3" frame. However, the original problem of carrying too much weight on my hip replacement hardware was solved with the procedure. Now, it is time to clean up my nutritional act! One of the unanticipated complications of the tiny tummy is I can eat anything I want and all I want. Though this is psychologically-freeing, I have become complacent about the food I eat and am over-calorie-ing.

So, I decided to lose the "last 10" and this app was well-recommended. It helps to keep me focused on my goals: better food choices and awareness of calories, rather than food volume.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I got my sleeve on 11/21/12 after trying to lose it on my own ( and failing) several times.
    So excited to have this tool and finally have the outside match how I feel on the inside
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved July 2011. I'm part of 3 groups here. The 2 for gastric sleeve I belong to are VSGs and Sleevers. There might be more, but those are the 2 I know of. I also belong to a West Michigan Bariatric Group, which may or may not apply to you. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are interested. And good luck to everyone!!
  • Peazwithin
    Peazwithin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Like Pawoodhull, I was sleeved October 2012! Best decision I ever made for myself. I do belong to the VSGers but got great support and information from www.verticalsleevetalk.com and www.obesityhelp.com. Just remember ~ this is a weightloss tool in your tool box, not a magic wand. That's why MFP works so well. You can and do get the support you need. There is lot of support and really good information out there but you have to read it all for yourself (and discard whatever doesn't benefit you!) ! I wish you all the best and you can add me if your interested.
  • jeanettemj9
    Options
    HI Everyone:
    I am getting sleeved January 30th - I'm so excited and nervous. I was hoping to add a few of you as friends to help with some nutritional questions. (Any advice on the pre-op liquid diet?) Hope to talk to you all soon and good luck!
  • Fair2bslimLady
    Fair2bslimLady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me Im due for mine Jan 28