Breastfeeding and Calories

Hi! I'm currently breastfeeding and am wondering how many additional calories I need to keep up my milk supply. For my current weight, My Fitness Pal is suggesting I eat 1750 cals. Thoughts?

Replies

• morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Last I heard it was about 400 calories extra that was needed, but if you've got weight to lose you don't need all of that extra. Fluid is far more important to your milk supply than the calories.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    I added an extra 500 when my baby was small, then dropped to 300 once she started on solids. It is all variable so maybe start at 500 and go up or down depending how you go.
  • You don't need to increase cals if you are trying to lose weight, but you do need to drink at least 64 oz of water a day!
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Im pretty sure theres an option in the food diary for breastfeeding. It gives you back negative calories. There are entries for newborns up to toddlers.
  • Hi, I'm a mommy to a newborn (she's 3 weeks old) and I have 3 other older children. You need at least 500 additional calories on top of the calories you're already eating to lose weight. Breastfeeding on demand, at about 8-12 times in 24 hours, can burn 650+ calories and fluids do NOT make up the difference. Liquids do not = a steady supply of breast-milk. You need actual nourishment, along with plenty of water, for your body to produce prolactin (the milk producing hormone). Also, if you're exercising, as a BF mother, you need to eat back your exercise calories. Losing weight while breastfeeding/maintaining a good supply is slow but steady. Otherwise you'll hurt your supply and baby will not get the fatty hind-milk it needs to grow/gain weight.
  • motherpenguin
    motherpenguin Posts: 17 Member
    Hi, I'm a mommy to a newborn (she's 3 weeks old) and I have 3 other older children. You need at least 500 additional calories on top of the calories you're already eating to lose weight. Breastfeeding on demand, at about 8-12 times in 24 hours, can burn 650+ calories and fluids do NOT make up the difference. Liquids do not = a steady supply of breast-milk. You need actual nourishment, along with plenty of water, for your body to produce prolactin (the milk producing hormone). Also, if you're exercising, as a BF mother, you need to eat back your exercise calories. Losing weight while breastfeeding/maintaining a good supply is slow but steady. Otherwise you'll hurt your supply and baby will not get the fatty hind-milk it needs to grow/gain weight.

Agree with this and I add eat wise... some foods can give bub an upset tummy you want to eat a healthy diet more than anything and not let yourself go hungry. a handful of nuts is good with plenty of water.

Also don't eat too much salt and sugary things it can dry you up
  • lauryn0392
    lauryn0392 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi, im a student nurse and have just finished studying this. It is 450-500 cals extra.