Starvation Mode?

Options
Okay....So I have been dieting for a few weeks and have lost 18 pounds all together. Since joining MyFitnessPal I lost 7 but it keeps telling me I need to eat more. If I'm not hungry doesn't it seem weird to force yourself to eat more. Is Starvation Mode even real? I'm no purposely trying to eat less....

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I read that there's no such thing as starvation mode unless you have something like 10% body fat. Watch out though. You will get hell on here for eating low cals. I'm doing the same though and it's working for me and I'm never hungry. Just be sure to exercise or your metabolism will slow down on you. At some point, you will have to start eating more to keep losing, but if lower cals (hopefully we're not talking under 1000) is working for you now and you're not hungry, then don't worry about until you have to.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The only thing is when you don't take in enough calories your body eventually does hold on to all your weight so your weight loss will stall for sure. It's a ridiculous concept but sometimes eating a little more is better for weight loss then eating less...
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    What Vevvie said, except that when I was doing less calories, I found myself not able to lift as heavy as I could when I eat more (by more, I mean 1700-2000. I also find that I am tired, less able to tolerate heat and cold, and have less energy all together if I'm not eating enough. I have a friend that has been doing low cal for so long that she didn't even realize that those same effects aren't normal! I don't find a huge weight loss difference between 1300 and 1700 calories. If anything, yes, I do loose more weight at 1700, but is it starvation mode? Absolutely not! I have more energy, so I burn more calories!

Physics.... Calories aren't evil, they are a unit of energy. The human body, like any other machine, needs fuel to function. If your car runs out of gas, it stops running, when a fire burns low on wood, it cools. When you don't eat enough calories, you get sluggish!