Plantar fasciitis (heel pain)

Options
2»

Replies

• GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    wow, there is so much advice on here... i have PF, and didnt realise thats what it was till i started reading these posts!!
    am gonna try steroid inj, as they helped my frozen shoulder.must say the pain is excruiating!!
    have shapers trainers, insert orthotics, and find nothing really has helped the pain. cant take anti infammatories, as on wafarin...
    guess need to reduce the weight by abt 40lb really.....:frown: :frown: :indifferent:
  • Foxywake
    Foxywake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I had this recently and ended up needing weekly physiotherapy. I still needed to exercise though to continue my weight loss and after my sessions could barely walk due to the pain. The Physio's suggestion was to use ice packs and also roll something (like a golf ball) under my foot. This proved rather tricky, so I got a can of soup, put it in the freezer and when totally frozen, using a thin towel (like a tea towel) to prevent skin burn, roll it under your foot for a good 20-30 minutes. It is uncomfortable to start with but with the cold and the continued pressure, it eventually feels great and really soothing. It really worked for me and now I am pain free.
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • Asprina
    Options
    I have been having a really bad flare up. I get pf but I also suffer from (easiest way to explain it) flat feet. The Muscle that supports the arch has loosened and dropped causing my feet to be flat. My podiatrist has made me special inserts for my shoes by casting my feet. They usually work well but lately they haven't been. The last time it flared up, he told me it's from the treadmill and I am NOT to ever get on one again... Not with how bad my feet are. When the podiatrist exams your foot moving it back and forth and just sits there and goes woooaaaa and wow and wants to show another Dr there the lack of elasticity I have in my feet, yeah I say they're not good. Some days I have no choice but to give in to what my feet say and not exercise but just try to get normal everyday things that must be done, done. Other days I say screw you to them, take one of my meloxicams and get on my eliptical anyways. usually after the first 20 mins of pain on there my feet go numb and I can really throw myself into a good workout. I have been seriously thinking of getting a cortizone shot. He offered the last time I was there but I told him no because at that point the meds were working so I didn't want it but now... My feet are interfering with everyday life no matter if I take my medicine or not. He also said shoes do play a huge part. A life of a shoe is only a few months. The only shoe I have found to work for me is new balance. My orthodic fits perfectly in them and they are very comfortable plus they come in a wide variety of widths

Ohhh and soo far losing weight has but hasn't helped. Since I have lost some weight I have been getting more active, and always going and always on my feet trying to stay busy and the more I'm on my feet, the more they hurt.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great thread and loads of good advice.

My PF started up after walking on treadmill for several months. After trying some generic inserts and such, I saw a podiatrist. I got customized inserts and a steriod shot, plus they showed me the stretches and icing you've seen mentioned here. I switched from treadmill to bike and elliptical, which helps a lot. Certain other exercises (walking lunges) cause it to flare up, though.

A friend of mine has had surgery on both feet to treat hers, and has had bad experiences with that. My take-away from that is to keep up the ice and stretches and try to avoid the surgery at all costs. (I think she had a trigger-happy surgeon, myself).
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete. I have finished my first olympic triathlon race two months ago. It did not all happen in one day - I am talking about 3 years now.
    There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other.
    I have found taping very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises.
    I found a very informative website in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com
    Take care & Good luck