what actually is the best excercise for weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't really believe in target training for weight loss, so training arms seems pointless for total body loss. If you want to tone your arms moving heavy things will get you there!

This is interesting because targeting my arms is one of my goals. Personally, I am a pear shape, so I would like to increase my arms and shoulders while burning the fat off my lower body.

To the OP, any combo of strength training and cardio is optimal for fat burning. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Also, +1 to the post on 30 Day Shred. For only 20 minutes, it is an awesome workout that has made a huge difference in my arms especially. Free weights are good too, but I don't have access to weights.
  • whytewytch
    Options
    i am having issues with my lower abs, does anyone have any helpful exercise ideas that would help me shrink my lower abs?

I am TOTALLY out of shape, and my son, who is in a Naval ROTC program, recommends flutter kicks. They did a TON of them at one of his trainings--recommended by his COs, all Navy men. Two websites I found with good answers on the "how to".

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-4849-0,00.html

http://www.navyseals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158040 (This one even helps with things like how to change things up if they are hurting your back.)

I've been doing them for a few weeks now and I have definitely improved in how many I can do (from about 2-3 up to 10-15) and I also feel it working on my lower abs. I am having an easier time with sit-ups, too, although I haven't dared try crunches yet. :tongue: Just a side note--I've been doing them like the one fellow says, as a 1-2-3-1, 1-2-3-2, 1-2-3-3, etc.

Good luck! Hope this is what you were asking. :smile:
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The ones that you like. The ones you will do.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Push aways... As in push away from the dinner table.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for weight loss is one you enjoy doing.

This is the correct answer. And, like alf(?) just mentioned, the one(s) you *will* do.

As long as you are eating properly and doing *something* - you will lose weight. Don't just do any particular exercises because someone said so. Do it/them because you like it. It's easier to stay on track doing what you like. Sure, go ahead and try new things, but find and do what you like.
  • Spensery
    Options
    Lots and lots of furious dancing!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Running.

It'll burn the most calories per hour.

Swimming is a close 2nd, but most people can't open their front door and swim for an hour.

I burn the most biking though. I'll burn 500-800 calories per run (30-45 min @ 7:30 miles), but 1500+ on the bike (90+ minutes @ 18mph). And on the bike, you can get some nicer scenery, but can lead to some funky tan lines!
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    I find mixing it up is the best way!

High intensity classes, swimming, low intensity cross-trainer workout, weights, running, pilates - keeps your metabolism guessing. Your body can get too used to routine so I find it good to do lots of different exercise (and you don't get demotivated!)
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how much you have to lose. Very high intensity may be too much for some people especially the very over weight.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns and walking.

Walking is hands down the king of weight loss exercises. Sure other exercise burns more calories, but unlike pretty much all exercise, there is no limit to how much walking you can do, there is very little in the way of recovery costs from walking. And it really doesn't interfere with other exercises.

You can add more walking to all parts of your day.

The calorie burn from walking is highly partitioned to fat. You body will not usually burn up your more valuable carbohydrate stores when you walk, especailly if you do a lot of it often and you do more intense exercise frequently as well.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. You can't out exercise a bad diet. That said running is my go to exercise for fitness.