Shingles?!

Options
Not diet related but maybe seeing if someone else has had an experience with shingles. Mind you I'm only 21 but I have a weak immune system and have previously had chicken pox. I've been feeling not so great the past few days and attributed it to being the week before I get my Depo shot. Yesterday morning i had one red dot on my chest, now I have about five more on my right arm and trunk area. Overall I just feel crappy and since the doctor doesn't open here for a while I wanted to know if anyone else got shingles at a young age or anyone's experience with it? I've seen it in the workplace but never in someone really young. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had my first shingles outbreak when I was only 18 and have had it recur many times. I would see the doctor, they have medication now that helps the shingles heal faster and when you are over your shingles outbreak I would suggest getting the shingles vaccine. It is expensive I've heard, but it is well worth not getting another outbreak. I felt wore out and the shingles are very painful. See the doctor as soon as you can.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've had shingles... Basically, the rash is very painful. and also, it will only be on one side of your body. It is very rare for someone young. I had it when I was 40, and even that was considered very young for shingles. The best thing to do is to get it checked out and if the doctor says you have it, they can give you Valtrex. Yeah, it's actually a form of herpes. Valtrex can shorten its life span. . I hope you don't have it because it hurts really bad.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had it, I had it young (in my 30's), and it is EXCRUTIATINGLY painful. Doesn't sound like shingles but if you're worried, see your doc.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you had chicken pox, you can get shingles so it doesn't matter what age. The doctor will give you an antibiotic to get rid of them. Its painful, I know. I had them in May and got them from a steroid I was taking for sciatica in my back.
  • SwitzerS
    Options
    I have actually had shingles 3 times. My first outbreak was when I was about 12. This is because I had chickenpox when I was 6 weeks old, I got shingles much sooner. Mine were on my right side, from under my breast and travelled onto my back. They always travel on a nerve. I had my next 2 outbreaks when I was pregnant. Just remember one thing if you do have shingles you can cause a person that has not had the chickenpox to be exposed and they could get the chickenpox. Shingles are very painful, mine also itched like crazy.
  • shannadewater
    shannadewater Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in Family Practice and just wanted you to know that shingles can occur at any age. It is less common with young people but can still happen. Shingles are typically very painful Most people will have an itchy painful area before they have the outbreak. It is not a form of herpes. It is from the chicken pox virus. Once you get the chicken pox, it can lay dormant in your system and later on in life, when under a lot of stress, you can have an outbreak. Because it is a virus, we do treat it with valtrex and steroids. However, please don't think you have a form of herpes as it is a completely different virus. You need to be checked. If it is shingles, I would highly recommend getting the shingles vaccine. You will have to wait until you have been off the medication for 3-4 weeks before getting the vaccine but will hopefully keep you from having another flare up. The vaccine typically runs around $60 depending from what part of the country you are in. One last thing, a shingles outbreak will follow a dermatome (which is usually linear in appearance). It does not cross the mid-line unless it is a very severe case. Hope this helps! See your doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment! :)
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it was a form of herpes. WebMD says it's a form of herpes. I didn't come up with that on my own. http://blogs.webmd.com/all-ears/2006/03/shingles-by-any-other-name-is-still-herpes.html
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    I've had shingles 3 times. First time I was 17 and I had it so bad I screamed in agony and cried constantly for about 3 months! I had a rash from the centre of my chest under my left boob, down my left side and round to my left shoulder blade. As a result I developed Post Herpetic Neuralgia and had the pain in my nervous system for over a year. The second incident was when I was 21 I had it on my right arm and it itched like crazy!!! But not that much pain at the time but a couple months later I developed Post Herpetic Neuralgia again and had tremendous pain in my left boob where I had my first shingles and it caused swellings inside and I was screened for breast cancer at 22 just in case (which wasn't nice). I've just recovered from my 3rd round of shingles 2 weeks ago which was across my stomach however again it triggered the nerve pain in my left side and boob I'm hoping, BEGGING! That the pain won't stay for long as shingles pain in winter really cripples me because cold makes me shiver and sends me off in a spasm fit down my side because my nerves are having a damn party in there! I can't have hot showers at all on my left side anymore only lukewarm as hot water feels like its burning like fire on my skin.

When I had it the first time I couldn't wear a bra for 6 months. Which at the time I was in college and was extremely embarrassing as I was (and still am) quite a large girl up top so yeah not pleasant. I couldn't stand clothes on my skin but I couldn't walk around starkers for the duration but you just have to bear it. The only comfortable position was to sit on the floor next to the sofa with my back on a cold radiator to sooth it and my arm in the air resting on the side of the sofa.

Rule number one do not use a heat press on it as it will severly damage your nerves and will cause constant pain. I speak from the experience of my grandmother who has had post herpetic neuralgia for 11 years! She developed severe shingles like me in 2001 when her mother died and the stress really crippled her with the pain. She put a heat press on because she had the pain first rather than the rash and thought she'd pulled a muscle at keep fit. But it was the beginning of shingles and she severly damaged the nerves. She has to use an electric shock pen to draw the pain to another area of her body. :cry:
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    My doctor said it was a form of herpes. WebMD says it's a form of herpes. I didn't come up with that on my own. http://blogs.webmd.com/all-ears/2006/03/shingles-by-any-other-name-is-still-herpes.html

It is indeed its the same virus that causes chicken pox, bells palsy and cold sores. Shingles is contagious until the rash crusts over. You can't give shingles to people however you can give them chicken pox if they're not immune but can only be contracted if they actually touch the rash. You can keep it covered so they won't get it.

The people that are at high risk are the elderly, young and pregnant women so avoid them as much as possible until your rash has healed.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've had shingles 3 times. First time I was 17 and I had it so bad I screamed in agony and cried constantly for about 3 months! I had a rash from the centre of my chest under my left boob, down my left side and round to my left shoulder blade. As a result I developed Post Herpetic Neuralgia and had the pain in my nervous system for over a year. The second incident was when I was 21 I had it on my right arm and it itched like crazy!!! But not that much pain at the time but a couple months later I developed Post Herpetic Neuralgia again and had tremendous pain in my left boob where I had my first shingles and it caused swellings inside and I was screened for breast cancer at 22 just in case (which wasn't nice). I've just recovered from my 3rd round of shingles 2 weeks ago which was across my stomach however again it triggered the nerve pain in my left side and boob I'm hoping, BEGGING! That the pain won't stay for long as shingles pain in winter really cripples me because cold makes me shiver and sends me off in a spasm fit down my side because my nerves are having a damn party in there! I can't have hot showers at all on my left side anymore only lukewarm as hot water feels like its burning like fire on my skin.

When I had it the first time I couldn't wear a bra for 6 months. Which at the time I was in college and was extremely embarrassing as I was (and still am) quite a large girl up top so yeah not pleasant. I couldn't stand clothes on my skin but I couldn't walk around starkers for the duration but you just have to bear it. The only comfortable position was to sit on the floor next to the sofa with my back on a cold radiator to sooth it and my arm in the air resting on the side of the sofa.

Rule number one do not use a heat press on it as it will severly damage your nerves and will cause constant pain. I speak from the experience of my grandmother who has had post herpetic neuralgia for 11 years! She developed severe shingles like me in 2001 when her mother died and the stress really crippled her with the pain. She put a heat press on because she had the pain first rather than the rash and thought she'd pulled a muscle at keep fit. But it was the beginning of shingles and she severly damaged the nerves. She has to use an electric shock pen to draw the pain to another area of her body. :cry:

OMG! So sorry! that's awful

Thank you all so much for your reply. Luckily I work in healthcare and can get looked at later today, just wanted some other's experiences with it! I didn't think anything of feeling itchy the past few days since I have horrible allergies, this however is no where near what my hives usually look like. Plus I've had a horrible headache for the past 24hrs and just insane burning and weird sensations on my back. Crossing my fingers that it isn't in fact shingles but I'm thinking they are! Thank you all so much for your response!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options

Thank you all so much for your reply. Luckily I work in healthcare and can get looked at later today, just wanted some other's experiences with it! I didn't think anything of feeling itchy the past few days since I have horrible allergies, this however is no where near what my hives usually look like. Plus I've had a horrible headache for the past 24hrs and just insane burning and weird sensations on my back. Crossing my fingers that it isn't in fact shingles but I'm thinking they are! Thank you all so much for your response!

Thats good that you can get it checked as soon as possible. Shingles can cause headaches and fatigue I had those with my last bout. I'm 24 now so I'm not looking forward to old age, haha put it that way. As it's a lot more common. My problem is I worry and stress all the time. The last 6 months have been difficult as my husband has been really ill and trying to look after him and everything else got on top of me.

I hope you get sorted and I hope it's not shingles but it sounds possible. Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options

Thats good that you can get it checked as soon as possible. Shingles can cause headaches and fatigue I had those with my last bout. I'm 24 now so I'm not looking forward to old age, haha put it that way. As it's a lot more common. My problem is I worry and stress all the time. The last 6 months have been difficult as my husband has been really ill and trying to look after him and everything else got on top of me.

I hope you get sorted and I hope it's not shingles but it sounds possible. Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:

thank you :) I just had hip surgery a little over 3 weeks ago and am FINALLY back to work! Talk about feeling super old! haha Ive had a headache the past 24hours or so and am sensitive to light and noise....also could NOT get my but out of bed yesterday and was overly tired...here's to hoping I just have some weird allergy!
  • Elaen
    Elaen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had shingles at 13, after car accident so it can get you at any age.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    I do realize it can happen to anyone at any age, it is just much more common in those who are older.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I had them when I was about 30. It was on the left side of my back right above my waist. It was excruciatingly painful and I felt like hammered dog crap. What made it worse is we were in the process of moving onto a little 10 acre place and I had to build a covered horse pen. That sucked. I didn't know there was anything they could do for it. My dad was helping me build the pen and I told him we were putting a tin roof on the pen but if we wanted to we could change that plan because I had also "brought some shingles" as I lifted my shirt. He confirmed that it was in fact shingles - he had had them 20 years prior - and informed me there was nothing that could be done for it so I sucked it up and we built the freakin pen.

Anywho. Antibiotics don't do anything for viral infections. If there is something to be taken to actually get rid of shingles it will be some antiviral something. I took ibuprofen and drank beer. That helped a little.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I had them when I was in my early 30's. IT SUCKS. No I dont think you understand what I'm saying. Its the absolutely most intense deep incredible pain I've ever felt.

There are some meds they can prescribe to ease the sensation a little but not much. Pray you dont have it. GET TO A DOCTOR...

I would add I dont think this is what you have. Shingles is nothing at all like chicken pox. Oh and to those of you who have had chicken pox or shingles, there is a shot you can get to prevent shingles from resurfacing.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I had them when I was in my early 30's. IT SUCKS. No I dont think you understand what Im saying. ITs the absolutely most intense deep incredible pain I've ever felt.

There are some meds they can prescribe to ease the sensation a little but not much. Pray you dont have it. GET TO A DOCTOR...

I would add I dont think this is what you have. Shingles is nothing at all liek chicken pox. Oh and to those of you who have had chicken pox or shingles, there is a shot you can get to prevent shingles from resurfacing.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    I had them when I was about 30. It was on the left side of my back right above my waist. It was excruciatingly painful and I felt like hammered dog crap. What made it worse is we were in the process of moving onto a little 10 acre place and I had to build a covered horse pen. That sucked. I didn't know there was anything they could do for it. My dad was helping me build the pen and I told him we were putting a tin roof on the pen but if we wanted to we could change that plan because I had also "brought some shingles" as I lifted my shirt. He confirmed that it was in fact shingles - he had had them 20 years prior - and informed me there was nothing that could be done for it so I sucked it up and we built the freakin pen.

Anywho. Antibiotics don't do anything for viral infections. If there is something to be taken to actually get rid of shingles it will be some antiviral something. I took ibuprofen and drank beer. That helped a little.

HAHAHA, ok your story isn't funny...but I can't help but bust a gut at the way you wrote it. Mostly because of your narrative about building the horse pen.

I cannot get the shingles shot because of my immune system and family history of immune disorders. Pretty much any vaccine I am unable to get unfortunately.

I actually don't remember having chicken pox much, I just know that I did have them. the only reason I thought shingles is my crazy headache, awful burning sensation on my back and the weird spots which look similar to what a client of mine had a few years ago. He was super stoic about it though...I feel awful for those of you who have had it! I can't imagine what untreated shingles would feel like...
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    I had them in my early 20s. I only got them on one side of my scalp. My hair fell out, it was the worst pain I'd experienced up until that point in my life. I hope you find that it's something else! Luckily, I had them a few times, close together, then not again since.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in Family Practice and just wanted you to know that shingles can occur at any age. It is less common with young people but can still happen. Shingles are typically very painful Most people will have an itchy painful area before they have the outbreak. It is not a form of herpes. It is from the chicken pox virus. Once you get the chicken pox, it can lay dormant in your system and later on in life, when under a lot of stress, you can have an outbreak. Because it is a virus, we do treat it with valtrex and steroids. However, please don't think you have a form of herpes as it is a completely different virus....
    It is herpes zoster...