How do you guys deal with emotional eating/ non-eating?

Options
I've been a reck for about a week now, both eating wise and emotionally. For example, yesterday I basically ate everything in sight, while on other days I had about 1000-1500 cals or not eating much (less than 500 cals).

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Just got out of that one myself. Alas I have no real suggestions, it was just a case of time healing and a willingness to sort it. Track, track and track.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this time around I come to the forums and read the success columns - before I cave into the emotional eating/noneating thing.

I am experiencing the non eating thing - breakfast since 11 days ago I got on a complex civil trial jury. So I stopped at the downtown Phonecian market in downtown Houston and got bananas and almonds and greek yogurts for the jury room. They have a refrigerator and also brought some non fat half and half for the coffee. The baliff and I are both trying to eat healthy and let's face it, it's hard to stay awake in the afternoons if we eat a heavy carb lunch.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I would suggest journaling your feelings every day and every time you feel like eating or not eating. It helps you see why you are eating the way you are. It is also an outlet to rant and rave, so you don't turn to food for comfort. I am an emotional eater and have found that journaling really helps. This site is also really helpful in seeing what you really eat and where you are lacking or had too much of something. Having a group of friends on here really helps. They can motivate and encourage you. They even let you rant and rave sometimes. Feel free to add me. You really can do this.
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    cry about it
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Smoke a little pot. 1 puff will set you right. Then you can just eat and feel good, instead of eat and cry.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    *wreck
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing two things:

First: What do you do for fun? Think back to your childhood. What did you enjoy doing? If you were a dancer, go out to the local club and dance! If you liked skipping rope, get one out and do a few! If you liked biking, hop on and go! If you played an instrument, brush off the dust on the case and pull out the music. My point is that you need to find the joy in living well. When crap is thrown your way, there are better ways to balance it out than with food.

Second: Work on the problem causing you trouble. (after you do something fun!) Write down possible solutions, ways to respond. Take back control of what you can and let go of the things that are beyond your control. Just be sure to do something fun first...doing something fun has a way of making the worst situations seem a bit more manageable!

Remember that you are 19. You are not supposed to have all the answers. There are people who love you and you can turn to them for support!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Smoke a little pot. 1 puff will set you right. Then you can just eat and feel good, instead of eat and cry.

Hungry, happy, sleepy :laugh:

My favorite side effect is happiness!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

First: What do you do for fun? Think back to your childhood. What did you enjoy doing? If you were a dancer, go out to the local club and dance! If you liked skipping rope, get one out and do a few! If you liked biking, hop on and go! If you played an instrument, brush off the dust on the case and pull out the music. My point is that you need to find the joy in living well. When crap is thrown your way, there are better ways to balance it out than with food.

Second: Work on the problem causing you trouble. (after you do something fun!) Write down possible solutions, ways to respond. Take back control of what you can and let go of the things that are beyond your control. Just be sure to do something fun first...doing something fun has a way of making the worst situations seem a bit more manageable!

Remember that you are 19. You are not supposed to have all the answers. There are people who love you and you can turn to them for support!

^^ This is actually a good response

Seriously, happiness is a choice, not a set of circumstances. A little herb can help make you happy in the short term, but for the long term, you gotta *decide* to be happy. (Watch "Pollyanna" if it helps.) Eff *all* the crap that has your emotions jacked up and just do what makes you happy. Find out what that is and do it!
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I only emotionally eat when I go home from college on the weekends. My family isn't all that nice, and they sort of enable it. So I tend to avoid going home as much as possible. I always lose more when I've stayed on campus because I don't feel the need to sit and eat three bowls of chips. If it's something situational, see if you can do something to change it. And good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    There's a binge eating support group on here that you might want to look into. When it comes to emotional eating, sometimes finding a way to distract yourself can help. Playing a video game, sewing, crossword puzzles. Anything that keeps your hands busy. Crocheting and drawing help me since I don't want to get food on them.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater. It's a hard habit to stop. The best thing I can suggest is what you have already done...acknowledge that you are an emotional eater/non eater. Once you are aware of what you are doing it may be easier to stop or avoid doing it all together. I know that when I get upset I am more likely to eat the entire contents of my fridge. It's just a work in progress for me. Sometimes I can stop it and sometimes I can't. Good luck on this journey!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I emotionally gnawed my weight up to 207 and have been fighting it since 2009 with increased exercise, since August 2012 with a change in eating habits. Right now I cry more. It seems that stress never ever goes away, but it does ebb and flow. Oh how I love the ebbs! Looking forward to the next one.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Book recommendation: End Emotional Eating by Jennifer L. Taitz, PsyD. I'm reading it now and I think it is useful. I got it from the library.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options