Lifting "heavy"

Options
I see this often around here. As a female what does that mean. I have increased my hand weights from 3, 5 and 8lbs to 8, 10 and 15s. I have 20s but haven't the strength to use them yet. 25lb weights are on my Christmas list.

Am I getting it right that this is "heavy". If not I would love someone to explain what it means. TIA

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    From a weight perspective it would be 85%+ of your one rep max for whatever exercise. In general though when people say it they are also referring to doing a routine focused on compound barbell exercises like deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, pullups\chinups.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    When I say lifting heavy...I mean only being able to push out 8-12 reps with good form. What do you do for legs?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Check out my stats...that is what I call heavy, but I have been lifting for a while : ) I can almost barbell row my body weight and I have passed bodyweight lifts on squats and deads a while back....bench is getting there, I can 1 rep max almost my body weight...overhead rows will be the slowest to get there.

Heavy is just that, ditching the dumbells and picking up the barbell and loading it. Start with just the olympic bar (45 lbs) and go from there. You will surprise yourself!

p.s. heavy with dumbells would be 10 kg (22 lbs) upwards...I guess? I bicep curl 10 I think, haven't used dumbells in a long while.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    From a weight perspective it would be 85%+ of your one rep max for whatever exercise. In general though when people say it they are also referring to doing a routine focused on compound barbell exercises like deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, pullups\chinups.

Ah I think I am in need of doing some research. I do squats and lunges with my 20s in hand. So I guess that is a 40lb total. But, it sounds ad though this is not what people are talking about.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Check out my stats...that is what I call heavy, but I have been lifting for a while : ) I can almost barbell row my body weight and I have passed bodyweight lifts on squats and deads a while back....bench is getting there, I can 1 rep max almost my body weight...overhead rows will be the slowest to get there.

Heavy is just that, ditching the dumbells and picking up the barbell and loading it. Start with just the olympic bar (45 lbs) and go from there. You will surprise yourself!

No place for barbell or weight bench in the condo. Not relly a gym person. I will figure something out. Thanks for all the good words. I really appreciate it.

Oh my goodness. You can overhead press over 80 lbs. This is what I was asking. Lifting heavy means heavy heavy. Whew. It is going to take me a long long time to get there.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

This. I would also add that the focus of the routine is "progressive overload," or continually seeking to lift more weight within your desired rep range.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Ah I think I am in need of doing some research. I do squats and lunges with my 20s in hand. So I guess that is a 40lb total. But, it sounds ad though this is not what people are talking about.

If you want some info on serious heavy lifting, check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

No place for barbell or weight bench in the condo. Not relly a gym person. I will figure something out. Thanks for all the good words. I really appreciate it.

Oh my goodness. You can overhead press over 80 lbs. This is what I was asking. Lifting heavy means heavy heavy. Whew. It is going to take me a long long time to get there.

But really it still just means "heavy for you". If 45 overhead is heavy for you that's heavy. I do agree that barbell compound lifts re better than dumbbells, but that doesn't mean dumbbells are useless. Just make sure you are using as heavy as you can for each move. You shouldn't be doing rows with the same weight as tricep curls for example. I'd recommend reading New Ruls of Weight Lifting for Women. The actual program is a little weird but the information in the first half of the book is great of women who've never lifted before.
  • Amberonamission
    Options

If you want some info on serious heavy lifting, check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
    Thanks so much :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I always thought of it as pretty subjective. To me lifting heavy means anything that I can lift 4 - 8 times in sets of 3 - 5 depending on my goal and that last one of each set is tough (I ususally crap out on the last one of the last set). I don't measure whether or not I'm lifting heavy based off of what someone else is lugging around, but instead based upon my own required exertion to get it done.
  • Amlisa1
    Options
    Hi Amber,
    I would think if you start lifting 25 pd. weights that you will start bulking up, and look muscular. I'm amazed you can do arm exercises with 15 pd's weights. I hope I never get in a fight with you!

Good luck,
    Amlisa
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I always thought of it as pretty subjective. To me lifting heavy means anything that I can lift 4 - 8 times in sets of 3 - 5 depending on my goal and that last one of each set is tough (I ususally crap out on the last one of the last set). I don't measure whether or not I'm lifting heavy based off of what someone else is lugging around, but instead based upon my own required exertion to get it done.

^This

It's relative to the individual. It's heavy until it no longer is - then pick up something heavier. Rinse/repeat
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Hi Amber,
    I would think if you start lifting 25 pd. weights that you will start bulking up, and look muscular. I'm amazed you can do arm exercises with 15 pd's weights. I hope I never get in a fight with you!

Good luck,
    Amlisa
    I'll assume this is a troll post. I have lost 1 1/2 inches off each arm since I started lifting. And yes I eat more than 1200 cal a day.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    You all have been such a help. Thanks. This is kind of what I have been doing. When it is too light I increase. Easy as that. Great to have the confirmation from people who have had success. TY TY
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

This. I would also add that the focus of the routine is "progressive overload," or continually seeking to lift more weight within your desired rep range.

Progressive overload, FTW.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

And when you get to the point that you CAN do the last rep, up the weight a little until you can't. As long as you are honestly pushing yourself each workout....you're doing it right regardless of weight or speed.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi Amber,

Good luck,
    Amlisa
    I'll assume this is a troll post. I have lost 1 1/2 inches off each arm since I started lifting. And yes I eat more than 1200 cal a day.

:flowerforyou: :heart: