cravings that are psychological rather than due to hunger

Options
Ok so i'm 60lb down, i eat reasonably well (gradual change in diet to more healthy foods) and keep within my calorie limit no problem. I've never hungry but with chocolate, i can't open a pack of bars and eat one, i'm not hungry just damn chocolate!

I chuck them in the freezer to stop myself but i want to be able to have 5 bars in the flat and not feel the urge to eat them all.

any tips?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most people don't crave food due to hunger, it's all in our heads. You can be stomach growling hungry standing in front of the frig thinking there's nothing to eat or stuffed to the gills full and eyeing up a chocolate bar. Most of our eating is done by our minds, not our stomachs.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    One of the main things I have learned since starting to lose weight is that you think you want things more than you do and you remember them tasting way better than they actually do. I have allowed myself rewards as I go, so McDonalds, real chips (not cracker chips etc) and even chocolate and I have really found that I remember them tasting much better than they actually do.

I also think that by allowing yourself a treat every once in a while it may help to satisfy that mental craving. But iwith those rewards you must be able to limit yourself and not go overboard. But it really comes down to will power and self talk. I ask myself all the time if I really want it because I am hungry or I just think I really want it and 99.99% of the time is because I think I want it and not because I am hungry. Commercials are the worst!! LOL

Good luck.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also love chocolate- a solution that has helped me is that instead of eating chocolate candy, I eat a half a cup of chocolate ice cream. My personal favorite is Breyers Oreo chocolate ice cream. It's only 120 calories for a serving! I even sometimes eat it with a cone, which is only 20 calories. The main reason I like ice cream is because it takes longer to eat, especially with the cone. It gives my brain time to realize that I am eating chocolate and I am psychologically satisfied! BTW- if you find the right ice cream it usually has a lot less calories than a chocolate candy bar anyway!