Belly just won't go away

Options
2»

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I agree to add strength training & lots of protein too. I started New Rules of Lifting for Women in April, lift as heavy as I can with good form, and in 6 months, I've lost less than 10 lb., and I'm an apple-shape, but I've lost 3" off my waist (from 40" to 37") and dropped 2 jeans sizes (from 18 to 14). I'm hoping to lose another inch and maybe drop into size 12 jeans by the end of this year. :happy:

And it's definitely not spot-reduction from lots of crunches or anything like that. It's fun, whole-body lifting schedules.

ETA, I eat approx. 2000 calories on workout days, and always try for 100+ grams of protein/day.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Belly and hips are the last place for fat to generally disappear. There's nothing you can do aside from maintaining a deficit and giving it time.

this

plus make sure you are getting enough protein, like 100g per day.

100g of protein!? Holy Smokes! I think MFP has me at around 48g per day.

She's right. MFP is notoriously low for most everybody. Go for .8-1.2g per pound of LBM (lean body mass) depending on how much strength training you do -- which is around 90-120g for most of us.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Lift heavy. Eat clean. Do planks. Don't be afraid of heavy weights! Feel free to add me to look at my diary for workouts and what I eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's genetics.

For most women the only way to lose it is to have a body fat % about 18-20%

What?? If this is true then I am one lucky woman because my BF has never been that low (not even close really) and I've had a flat belly most of my life.

I think might be true for "apple" shaped women. But I don't think most women are apple shaped. There are plenty of bottom heavy ladies out there with flat bellies and WIDE hips and arses, sitting around 25% BF.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Make sure to engage your core in fullness when doing your workout...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Belly and hips are the last place for fat to generally disappear. There's nothing you can do aside from maintaining a deficit and giving it time.

THIS^

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • Ahoogesteyn
    Options
    Well.. I used to have huge HUGE thighs, butt and overall legs and hips, my belly not 'so' much, but still a lot too.. I started my 1200 calorie a day and also started the Insanity program... O... M... G... my legs are REALLY a lot more thin (they're skinnier now than they're been in my life! and toned) and so is my waist, hips and buyt, they work out a LOT on your legs, the "log jump", the "heisman" and the "1, 2, 3 Heisman" are AWESOME workouts to reduce your hips and thighs cause they make you work sideways.,.. might wanna take a look at those!! good luck
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for four months and my stomach was definitely the last to shrink (didn't happen until about a month ago). I saw the most inches lost after six weeks of very consistent strength training and some cardio. I've been consistently working out for four months, though. If you're apple shape like me then yours will take time, as well. I'm at my goal weight and still have some fat around my mid section. Hopefully by spring time I can get rid of it all together. Keep your diet high in protein and fiber. Watch the sugar and sodium.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating... I'm still waiting to get into smaller clothes :(((
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Might try this workout, I did it and lost 5 inches in 6 weeks and toned up nicely.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/summer-flat-belly-workout-weight-loss

Good luck :smile:
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i have one handful of fat on lower belly and a little bit on lower sides that wont go away no matter what i do....very disheartening....just do ur best
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of MFP for several months. I started the C25k program in July and will be finishing it this weekend at the San Diego Color RUn 5k. I have been very successful losing weight (down nearly 10 pounds), but I have been measuring as well and there is no change in the numbers of my belly and hips. I don't understand. I stay within my calorie, fat, carb, protein goal, I don't drink soda, or eat chips and sweets. I recently gave up meat (about a month ago) and there is still no change. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

If it's any consolation, I would have said the same thing until last week. Lost 22 pounds. 2" off waist, but hips the same and belly looked worse, because it was flabby instead of firm.

SINCE Sunday, I've dropped just 3 more pounds, but lost 3" on waist, an inch on my hips, and my belly and bottom are almost gone.

It's not a miracle, it's generally steady, it just showed up all at once.

I'd just stick with it and also exercise.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I found that when I eat wheat, even organic, I gain two inches in less than half a day, even if the calories are small: I can eat 2000 calories of nonwheat and stay much slimmer than even 1000 which contains wheat *shrug*. I simply react to it that way. Same can happen for some people who are sensitive to dairy or other things. Maybe it is worth trying to avoid certain foods that may bloat or inflame you. Other than that, no suggestions other than what you are hearing here. Good luck!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    keep strapping on those running shoes (great job on the C25K and weight loss so far!!!) and keep pounding the pavement. Losing those inches in the problem areas is a marathon endeavour, not a sprint!
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    mine went away when I cut out processed foods, cheese, breads, increased protein and lowered overall calorie intake to about 1000 cals a day. hard to do but I got that flat belly. mostly ate yogurt, mixed nuts, pure protein bars, salads and chicken. strength training helps tons as does running 5x a week. I gained it all back on vacation so I am back on the road running, stairmill and strength training. Just watch what you eat!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Same problem, i'm happy with my overall weight its just my belly that is the problem area....i have noticed however it is that bit smaller than it was back in january and i've only noticed that with the fit of my clothes lately.

Can only give the advice of everyone really....more protein, less sugary foods and try cut down on the sodium. I've only been doing cardio and kickboxing myself I think some strength training might be what I need to kickstart further loss from that area again. :)
  • beckyb0724
    beckyb0724 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i have one handful of fat on lower belly and a little bit on lower sides that wont go away no matter what i do....very disheartening....just do ur best

THank you for that. It's nice- well not nice- comforting to know I am not alone.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

THank you for that. It's nice- well not nice- comforting to know I am not alone.

This is m problem too. You've just got to keep at it and it will shift eventually
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that there are two kinds of fat. Your body will go after visceral fat too (fat that surrounds your organs), then the subcutaneous fat that is your belly, hips, love handles, etc. If your not really fat then you may not have that much visceral fat anyway. Just another variable to think about in terms of why you may not be noticing much reduction in those specific spots.

I may be mistaken but this is what my PT told me when we first started. Dont shoot the messenger:)