Heart rate monitor training?

Options
I have a heart rate monitor. I use it for my calorie count, but haven't really been using it to train in specific zones for fat burning or general good treatment of my ticker.

Yesterday, I decided to run only in zones one and two, instead of zone three where my heart usually jumps the minute I start to run. It was a good day to run slow because I have a bit of a cough and it was raining out, but man was it slow. The difference in pace was 2:30.

I am not sure if I am going to stay with it. I know that it is supposed to be better in the long run for building endurance, but I don't feel bad at the faster pace. I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't still get better at the faster pace too.

Anyone have any thought on this they would like to share? Would love to hear your experience!

Replies

• snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I knew I should have put something about boobies in the title!!!! :smile:

bump!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor. I use it for my calorie count, but haven't really been using it to train in specific zones for fat burning or general good treatment of my ticker.

Yesterday, I decided to run only in zones one and two, instead of zone three where my heart usually jumps the minute I start to run. It was a good day to run slow because I have a bit of a cough and it was raining out, but man was it slow. The difference in pace was 2:30.

I am not sure if I am going to stay with it. I know that it is supposed to be better in the long run for building endurance, but I don't feel bad at the faster pace. I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't still get better at the faster pace too.

Anyone have any thought on this they would like to share? Would love to hear your experience!

The whole zone training thing is pretty much useless. Your body will utilze different energy sources at different heart rates but in the big picture it's not really relavant. You assumption is correct that your would still get a similar burn at a faster pace. The HRM is great to give you in run data on heart rate, pace, spilts etc and afterward, total burn.

Now let's get to the fun stuff and talk about boobies!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to improve your running fitness (aerobic capacity) then the number one factor for maximizing gains is running volume. If you are running high volume, 1.5 to 2 hrs per day, then some runs need to be at the lower heart rate to allow for recovery.

If you are running lower volume and taking days off then there is no reason to run in the lower zones if you don't want to.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to run every run with my heart rate around 170, and I definitely improved. This year, I've tried hard to keep my heart rate under 145 for most of my runs and close to tripled the amount of miles, and I've improved even faster. Now, my "easy" pace (heart rate around 145) is as fast as my 170 pace was for most distances less than a year ago.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ignore the zones and just work on improving your run. Your heart rate will come down as your fitness improves but your fitness won't improve if you don't push yourself. I turned all the zone stuff off on my HRM.
  • Mandie1120
    Mandie1120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I am in the same boat. I take spinning classes and my hear rate is typically 170. I like it there and feel good pushing myself. Now I am told i am burning calories and not fat and that is why i am not loosing weight ?!?! Seriously? I dont get it. I want some advice too!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising your body is burning whatever it can get for fuel. There's no magic to which zone you're in for calorie burn. If you like to workout at 170 bpm then carry on.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I was thinking that mixing it up might be the way to go. Right now I run 3 days a week, but at the slower pace I don't think it would be difficult to add an additional day or take one day that I push myself to run farther.

Thanks again!