Broken toe and a half marathon coming up

Options
Yesterday a kid broke my toe. The break is very small and hardly showed up on the x-ray but it's my big toe. It's pretty painful and swollen right now. I'm scheduled to run a half marathon on the 17th (two and a half weeks from now). I asked my doctor when I can run again and he said "not for 2-3 weeks at least".

So my question is this: Am I crazy if I try to run the half in 2.5 weeks? I've been training since August and I will be gutted if I cannot. I need to hear some success stories about toes healing. Thoughts?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would definitely play this one by ear.

If you've done the training you're not going to lose a lot of fitness over the next couple of weeks but if it's painful to run on I'd save it for another race (maybe you could walk it if that wasn't too painful) It's heartbreaking to put in all the sweat and tears building up to a race but there's always another race. Is there another coming up in the next month or two that you could run in?
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well I was mentoring people so my goal was to run it with them. It will be a huge disappointment not to. In the Spring I start Marathon training.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    can you wrap it good and do it???
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I agree - play it by ear. See how it feels and make sure to tape it up when before you run to keep it more stable.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'd play it by year. Have you done a half marathon before?

If not, I wouldn't attempt it, you'll injure something else because you will adjust your stride
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How's your time in training? Think you can go 2.5 weeks without running and still nail 13.1? If it were me, I'd stop running and do everything to get that toe to heal. I'd try a short <5 mile run two days before the half... gauge the pain (or lack thereof) and make a decision from there.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I feel your pain! I have a half in 9 days and I can't imagine getting injured and not being able to do it after all the training... I say wrap it well and take a serious painkiller before and after. I'm a little crazy though. Definitely sit out from running until then. Yuo will not lose anything (speed, training) over 2.5 weeks. Just keep stretching!

My daughter broke her big toe a few years ago and it really was entirely healed in 3 weeks, so you should be WELL on the way to healed by the time of the run. I would try a 1 mile test run/walk a couple of days before and if it is so painful you can't do it, don't do it, but if you can gut it out then why not?

I would tell my doc I was doing it though and ask for advice on taping/wrapping and make sure he foresees no complications. Although with a toe, I can se eit getting more painful after the race, but really, what kind of serious damage can you do.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say good luck with decision and with race if you decide to do it!!

Also, ice, ice, ice, ice, ice, and elevation, and NSAIDs to get the swelling to go away as quickly as possible.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'd play it by year. Have you done a half marathon before? If not, I wouldn't attempt it, you'll injure something else because you will adjust your stride

I agree with this. If you're a regular half marathon runner, you may be okay. If not, I wouldn't . Just rest, let it heal, then start training for the full when it's better.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've run a half before and just completed the Army Ten Miler. I am not too concerned about the time off because I will do some spin classes to stay in cardio shape. However, I worry about damage to the toe and pain.

Good advice from all. I appreciate it! I will stay off it and baby it!