Anyone have GERDS or stomach problems?

Options
My doctor (who I don't agree with) is taking me off Protonix. I have a family history of stomach problems and have found for me Protonix and Nexium are the only two things that control my pain. I don't have acid, but I have pain. So I agreed to cut it down (so that I can show him he's wrong). I did this before when he wanted to change me to prilosec. He feels I've been on medicine too long.

My question for you is, if you have any GERDS type problems, what foods do you steer clear of. I know everyone is different and I know for me tomatos, processed sugar, and citrus fruit are bad choices, but what else should I watch?

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Fried foods make me wish I had never been born, lol. Seriously I do get a lot of pain with fried or greasy foods.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have just literally come out of a bad acid reflux episode at the weekend and it was horrible so I feel your pain. I have IBS too so sometimes u can tell where the acid begins and the IBS ends! I take Omeprazole for my acid, but only when I have had a bad time of it.

At the mo i am just eating honey on toast, rice cakes and smooth peanut butter, and plain soya yog. I dont want to eat anything else to set it off again until im better.

All I can say is that I just tend to stick to plain bland boring stuff for a while and then my symptoms, along with the pills, go away.

good luck
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have always drank lots of water and before I started filtering it, too much would flare up an acid reflux.
    It seemed to be from the municipal chlorine or chloramine additives...
  • iluvhockey987
    iluvhockey987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I stay away from large quantities of tomatoes (i.e. spaghetti sauce). Anything greasy usually does me in. Also, if you don't eat anything, that usually makes my acid churn (forcing me to drink lots of water or eat something to absorb the acid). I also am lactose intolerant and I have digestive issues...
  • coppercat25
    coppercat25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed with GERDS but I suspect I have it! I also have IBS. Since I've lost 20lbs my heartburn has improved but these foods/drinks trigger it off at times still:

-Alcohol
    -Milk
    -In fact anything dairy based
    -Anything very fatty (if I have bacon and egg sandwich that;s a definite!)
    -Coffee

I was on omeprazole but it made me projectile vomit so I stopped taking it! Since my condition has improved I haven't visited the docs again, but fear I might need to, as when I get an attack it can last for days. I also get a lot of phlegm production which I'm pretty sure is not normal!?
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    About the phlegm thing, I feel like I have some now to be honest. This only happened for me on Saturday, that nite I stayed up all nite as it was so painful, but the days after it had slowed down, but my stomach had felt like I had been punched and hurt when I walked. It feels much better now, nearly healed, but I do feel a bit phlegmy
  • coppercat25
    coppercat25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Strange! Must be a symptom I suppose. Not nice as when I exercise I get a really painful cough and productive phlegm after. This only happens if I have had heartburn though so it must be connected! And I don't smoke in case anyone asks.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'll have to watch for the phlem. I don't really like fried foods, so that won't be a problem and the doctor told me no coffee. I don't drink any soda or drink alcohol. I'll have to watch the milk products though. I eat yogurt and string cheese.

You know as I go through the list of food, I've turned into a pretty boring person food wise. Oh well.
  • RavenHershey0107
    Options
    I have had stomach problems most of my life. My doctor diagnosed me with peptic ulcer disease and GERD. My list of trigger foods is pretty long.

Coffee
    Alcohol
    Milk
    Spicy food
    Citrus fruits
    Tomato
    Raw veggies (I have to steam them)
    Artificial sweateners (I can tolerate splenda)
    Sugary foods
    Salty food
    Fried foods
    Red meat
    Pork sausages

I am sure I am forgetting some things. I do take zegrid daily for it to help keep it under control.