Quark-- who knew

Options
Corjogo
Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
Just made made Quark (which was so easy in the dehydrator.) All thanks to MFP members. I looked in local stores and could not find it.

I've made yogurt for years, so it was not too big of a stretch. I was very pleased with the results, the "cheese" is quite fine (like ricotta but somewhat lighter in texture.)

Placed 1 quart of buttermilk in a sterilized glass 9x9 Pyrex dish and covered it with foil. Placed a metal cooling rack in the bottom of the dehydrator and put the Pyrex dish on the rack. Turned the dial on the dehydrator to the Yogurt setting (115-145 degrees F) and let it "cure" 8-10 hours (depends on the room temperature). Then line a fine sieve with cheesecloth pour in the "cheese and whey" - drain for about 2 hours or until cheese is consistency you are looking for. Add a bit of salt (or not) and refrigerate until you are ready to use. Keeps about 1 week - but probably won't last that long.

Check on line for recipes from salads to desserts! Thanks MFP members.

Replies

• Corjogo
    Options
    Here's an update:

Quark Cheesecake About 100 calories per serving.
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups quark
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    2 tblsps whole milk
    2 tsp vanilla
    Whisk eggs. Using a spoon, mix in Quark, sugar and vanilla.
    Pour mixture into small baking dishes (about 1 cup each)
    Bake in water bath at 375 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool. Serve chilled.
    (You can use a crust -but who needs the added calories.)

Topped with Lime or lemon curd.
    1 large egg
    2 large egg whites
    3/4 cup sugar (i used Splenda sugar substitute)
    1 tablespoon freshly grated zest
    2/3 cup lemon (1/2 cup lime) juice
    1 tablespoon butter

Whisk together eggs, egg whites, sugar, zest and juice in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add butter and cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a simmer. Transfer to small bowl , let cool slightly. Can be served warm. 39 calories per tablespoon if you use regular sugar.
  • Corjogo
    Options
    Here's an update:

Quark Cheesecake About 100 calories per serving.
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups quark
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    2 tblsps whole milk
    2 tsp vanilla
    Whisk eggs. Using a spoon, mix in Quark, sugar and vanilla.
    Pour mixture into small baking dishes (about 1 cup each)
    Bake in water bath at 375 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool. Serve chilled.
    (You can use a crust -but who needs the added calories.)

Topped with Lime or lemon curd.
    1 large egg
    2 large egg whites
    3/4 cup sugar (i used Splenda sugar substitute)
    1 tablespoon freshly grated zest
    2/3 cup lemon (1/2 cup lime) juice
    1 tablespoon butter

Whisk together eggs, egg whites, sugar, zest and juice in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add butter and cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a simmer. Transfer to small bowl , let cool slightly. Can be served warm. 39 calories per tablespoon if you use regular sugar.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Or as a simple snack One low fat digestive biscuit, mix quark with sweetner and spread on biscuit, top with fresh strawberry or fruit of your choice. Speedy, snack size, low cal cheese cakes.

Well almost :ohwell:
  • Dstrand1
    Dstrand1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this- i never knew there was such a food. It was so easy to make ( i used an over night oven method) and the finished product is so good. Definitely will be adding this to my secret weapon foods!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting how to make Quark and the recipe for cheesecake. I grew up in Germany and Quark is a staple.......mix it with a little honey or fruit for a sweet dessert, add onions and chives for a savory dip/spread or topping for potatoes or spread it on bread or a roll and top with some jam or a drizzle of honey.....yum. And of course cheesecake. The only way to make 'real' cheesecake in my opinion!!!! I rarely find Quark anywhere here and if I do it it outrageously expensive. I never figured out why...... :cry:
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this- i never knew there was such a food. It was so easy to make ( i used an over night oven method) and the finished product is so good. Definitely will be adding this to my secret weapon foods!

Can you tell me how you did it?
    I LOVE Quark and miss it a lot (ate it often in Germany).