The hurricane messed up my diet, need some quick advice

Options
So I was without power for days and all my healthy food went bad. It was hard to even get take-out anywhere either (I live in SE PA). So my options were limited. I don't eat dairy or gluten but got stuck eating those things because beggers literally can't be choosers. So anyway, I bloated up a bit maybe like 3 or 4 lbs over the last week (couldn't get to my gym either). My point is I was already pretty much at my goal weight. I have this big black tie gala next Saturday (11/10) for my job. I have a gown and it is SO tight especially around my abdomen. I have no other option for a dress as I had to borrow this one. So I need to drop a little bit of this bloat/water water so I can at least breathe and zip up the dress. I have done all of my weight loss healthily and just need some quick tips for dropping a couple of lbs (water weight only even) especially in the tummy. I am doing my regular grocery shopping and re-stocking my fridge tonight. Any tips? Please help! Thank you!

Replies

• Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If the extra weight is simply from an intolerance to dairy and gluten and not because of increased calories, the pounds should come off fast when you go back to your usual diet. Drink lots of water and you should be fine in a week :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Get back to it.

Not sure what you want to hear
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Go back to eating properly and exercising, you have plenty of time for the bloat to come off.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Isn't it great your alive to complain, and this is your biggest worry?
    It will come off, as this is not a result of gorging but just of bloating from intolerance.

tumblr_m5czc2xkvy1rnvlqy.gif
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I live on the coast of NJ. We lost our cars. We are on the second floor of our apartment building, our downstairs neighbors and across the road neighbors lost everything on their first floors. We still don't have power. Not having power for a couple of days (it's only Thursday--you lost it Monday??), is not an excuse.

But it happens, I know it does. Just get back on track. That's the only thing you can do. You have to get back to normal. We all do.
  • kalimay2
    kalimay2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you have access to now, but limiting starches and high carb foods works for me. Good to hear you survived the storm!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    1st world problem. Get over it, get back on your diet and carry on.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track with eating. Drink LOTS of water and exercise. No need to stress.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sorry I asked. I have never once been rude to anyone in a forum. I'm sorry to all those who lost things in the hurricane. Isn't weight loss and all of that a first world problem? Aren't we all just then a bunch of complainers? Not that it is ANY of anyone's business but I have plenty of family and friends who were adversely affected and are still suffering. I just wanted a little advice about a stupid work event that I have to go to that I can't even afford to go to but is mandatory. I'm not rich and can't buy a gown so I have to wear what I have and it needs to fit. Oh yeah and I lost hundreds of dollars worth of food in my home as I'm sure lots of other people did too. I was in no way looking for sympathy and don't think I posed the question I had that way at all. This isn't a competition about who is suffering most from a natural disaster. I THOUGHT this was a diet and weight loss forum.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much, get back to our regular diet. I don't know what it's like where you are, but if you have to squeeze into the dress, you can do a couple of hot yoga sessions, hot body wrap, or infrared sauna. I have used them n the past, just so I could breath. It's short term.
  • man_dee_gee
    man_dee_gee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, girl. I was a little surprised by some of the responses but perhaps we just read them wrong... or didn't... but don't let it affect you.

You came here with good intentions. I wish I could give you advice, but I'm not close enough to a maintaining weight to be able to offer much. I would suggest continuing to drink as much water as your can (that's clean!!) and try to sweat as much as possible. That helps me a lot, but like I said... I weigh a lot more so weight tends to come off more easily.

If all else fails... SPANX!!! Maybe you can find a place that has some on the shelf.

Good luck and I'm sure you will look wonderful.

By the way... my husband is a linemen and has been in New Jersey since Wednesday (we are from central Ohio). Everyone be patient, they are working as hard as possible to restore electricity to help everyone, while being away from their families. I know often it is easier said than done, but keep the faith! You are all still alive :-)
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    Okay, I don't necessarily recommend this but I've been in a similar situation in the past (I'm gluten free, had gluten and unusual food a week before an event, wanted to shed the bloat) and to get myself ready for the day I did a juice cleanse like Blue Print or Organic Avenue, one that has all the nutrients you need in a day and "cleanses" your body. I've since decided that I'd rather eat food than cleanse and while it is a quick fix for an event you gain in all back literally two days after you're off of it and if your not careful it can screw up your digestion (as it did for me the third time I did it when I wasn't too careful) so I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a believer in juice cleanses and are careful with prepping before and after the cleanse.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You have a week, I would just try to go as low carb as possible (carbs being veggies and low glycemic index fruits only), and drink nothing but water and tea. It will be a sucky week but it will work for a short term fix.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I think if you drink a bunch of water and go back to your regular diet the bloat will come off quickly. My abdomen changes inches daily it drives me nuts lol
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained 3-4 lbs of fat in 3 days. It's probably excess water from the sodium from the processed foods you ate (or it's your time of the month). Also, weigh yourself at the same time each time as one's weight will fluctuate throughout the day.

Get back to your routine, drink some extra water to flush out the sodium, and the weight you gained will come off.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice (and also the kind private message I received). I will lay off carbs and drink a ton of water! My gym has a sauna so I might try that. Thanks to everyone that provided me with helpful advice. I appreciate it immensely. I normally don't care about events like this or "squeezing into a dress" but unfortunately it is a work function that is unavoidable!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You have a week, I would just try to go as low carb as possible (carbs being veggies and low glycemic index fruits only), and drink nothing but water and tea. It will be a sucky week but it will work for a short term fix.

Yeah this is what I was going to say too. It's how my friend and my brother make weight for tae kwon do and wrestling.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Next time your food choices are limited, you can keep the weight off by simply not eating as many calories. A 300 calorie burger is the same as 300 calories of veggies when it comes to weight maintenance. So any weight gain (that isn't purely water weight) isn't because you had to eat "crappy" food or from not being able to make it to the gym. It's from eating too much food.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    (I have never been able to figure out why people react so crazily when some anonymous person snarks at them from the wonderful impersonal internet. Why do you care? Why are you suprised? Is no one ever rude to you in person??? You are asking a question that, while valid to you, seems trite and superficial to people who have been DEVASTATED by a natural disaster.)

Put on trash bags. Run around your neighborhood til you feel like passing out. Then take a few laxatives.

OOOOOR....
    Drink water. Eat healthy. Get plenty of fiber to clean your system. Keep on.