Whiting fish

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Has anyone ever heard of/tried a fish called "whiting" fish? I thought that it would be a "clean" fish but when I opened the bag, the smell just threw me! Is that normal for that kind of fish? Also, if you've tried it, what does it taste like? Cod, perch, tilapia? I HATE an oily tasting fish!

Replies

• Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hiya whiting isnt an oily fish its like a softer texture cod or haddock, very light (i think its a cheaper substitute) - no fish should smell bad tho if its fresh , hope that helps:smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Whiting is not a particularly oily fish, nor is it a fish with a strong smell. If you still have it, I would return it to the store. It sounds like you got a bad package.

If you have ever eaten fish sticks or preformed fish filets that didn't say they were made with another specific fish, you have probably eaten whiting. It tends to flake easily when cooked and does NOT have a strong "fishy" smell, nor does it have a strong taste. The tast comparison to tilapia is probably a pretty good one, except the texture is a little different.