PCOS/Endometriosis

Options
Hi :)

Just wondering if there's anyone out there with PCOS or endometriosis? My doctor suspects I have one or the other but I have not been diagnosed as of yet. I started on orlistat/xenical on the 24th Oct - my doctor wants me to lose 5lbs within 3 months, which, when she told me, I thought she was being ridiculous; on those tablets I'd probably lose that in a week :laugh: . And I was right.. but now I've hit a plateau. Sucks big time. :frown:

I just hope that my scales say the same as hers when I see her in January.

What do you do to stay healthy, keep fit and keep the weight off? What have you found that works better? Have you tried orlistat to help with weightloss?

I just started this thread as wanted to see the opinions of others, give and recieve support, become friends and know that I'm not doing this alone! :smile:

Thanks,

Alana

Replies

• socialitebaby
    Options
    I have endometriosis and I've noticed that intense exercise increases inflammation of it and I spend a bit more time in pain so I usually do low impact like yoga, pilates, and walking/light jogging. I try to focus on diet more since there's an endometriosis diet that's supposed to keep inflammation low. It's basically no sugar, no alcohol, no wheat (gluten free is fine), no dairy, and hormone free animal products like chicken, beef, turkey, etc. If you can stay strict it really helps!

Not much help on PCOS, I do suffer from infertility though and a lot of my friends have had it and trouble keeping weight off. Has your doctor checked to see if you're insulin resistant? That's common with PCOS and the majority of women I know with it are on Metformin. Thyroid problems are also common with PCOS and endometriosis, I actually have mild hypothyroid, so if you haven't had TSH/Free T3/T4 ask to get those checked as well. I know I piled on a lot of weight when my thyroid was out of whack, but once I got it down to a normal level I started dropping pounds easier!
  • sissie2955
    Options
    I have PCOS, was diagnosed at the age of 16, fertility issues but had one blessing 3 yrs ago. I am on metformin. I was overweight all my life. But it does not matter if you have this. Truth is weight is one of teh issues with it but it is NOT something you cannot win the battle on. We just process sugars and insulins different because of teh PCOS and we have to eat healthier and exercise. I went from 389-214 and currently at 235, It is an up and down battle but mostly down once I stayed on track.

I can jump 15lbs in a week if I do not eat good and exercise. I have used weight watchers and it works even with PCOS, I have done a 1200 cal diet and watched EVERYTHING I put in my mouth and it worked, I used Body Bug and logged all my food an exerceise and it worked. Its just about doing. I did several things only to break up the program as I had alot to loose and over a period of years it helps to change it up a bit. You can do it PCOS is a simple vaginal ultrasound that will diagnosis that at your OB, insulin resistance that comes with most PCOS can be checked by blood work at any doctor
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    I have endometriosis and I've noticed that intense exercise increases inflammation of it and I spend a bit more time in pain so I usually do low impact like yoga, pilates, and walking/light jogging. I try to focus on diet more since there's an endometriosis diet that's supposed to keep inflammation low. It's basically no sugar, no alcohol, no wheat (gluten free is fine), no dairy, and hormone free animal products like chicken, beef, turkey, etc. If you can stay strict it really helps!

Not much help on PCOS, I do suffer from infertility though and a lot of my friends have had it and trouble keeping weight off. Has your doctor checked to see if you're insulin resistant? That's common with PCOS and the majority of women I know with it are on Metformin. Thyroid problems are also common with PCOS and endometriosis, I actually have mild hypothyroid, so if you haven't had TSH/Free T3/T4 ask to get those checked as well. I know I piled on a lot of weight when my thyroid was out of whack, but once I got it down to a normal level I started dropping pounds easier!

Thanks for the reply!

I've started doing the wii fit with the board, zumba for the wii and some of the dance games - can probably tell I'd prefer not to be seen exercising! lol. I also bought a skipping rope to use in the garden, or the conservatory when it's raining, as it often does in England! :laugh:

Ooh, never heard of the diet - although, I don't have a sweet tooth, I rarely drink, don't have a lot of wheat, but I do like my cheese! And only really eat chicken and beef.

Sorry to hear about the infertility. I went on a progesterone-only pill (mini pill) when I was 16 (over 5 years ago) and it stopped my periods completely, which I wasn't complaining about; they were always quite heavy although they only lasted about 3 days, 4 at the most. I came off it last November because there was no need to keep using it, if you catch my drift :laugh: . This is when the pain occurred - I'd be bent double, crippled with pain, even between periods, which were so irregular - I can count on one hand how many I've had this year. I went to the doctors, did scans and they said borderline PCOS or endometriosis but as I said above, I haven't been given a diagnosis as of yet. My doctor suggested the orlistat for help with my weightloss and to also go back on the pill - she thinks that the problem may have started before I came off the pill last year and that the pill was acting as pain killer which is why it only started when I came off it. Started the pill middle of September this year and the pain is virtually gone - only comes back if I forget to take it.

About the insulin resistance; my doctor said that after the 3 months is up with the orlistat, if I haven't lost the weight then she would test me for it and put me on metformin, so yeah, that's the next step after the tablet. I've also had my thyroid checked and it came back fine - typical! :laugh:

Things us females have to go through :noway: :wink:
  • dbtman
    dbtman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have PCOS. Was diagnosed in 2004. I have been on Metformin ever since. I could not figure out why I was gaining so much weight even when I was working out 3 days a week and watching what I ate. Once the doctor figured out the right amount of Metformin, I was able to lose weight. I was able to lose a little over 40 pounds with the medicine, working out and watching my diet. I did have some bumps in the road with learning what I could eat and could not eat while taking Metformin.

Currently I am working on losing that last 10 pounds. It is a little more difficult, but it can be done. With the help of family, friends and MFP, anything is possible! Feel free to add me to your friends if you would like. I would be more than happy to give you support. Also, MFP has a group for people who have PCOS. You might want to join the group and read all the valuable information that is there.

Good luck and I am routing for you.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad endometriosis. I've already had one round of laproscopic surgery to remove the build up. Then I was put on shots of Lupron Depot for 6 months. That treatment process really helped for about a year. However, I have noticed that it seems to be back. I haven't been in to the doctor yet, but I am pretty sure they will want to do another round of Lupron.
    My doctor suggests I eventually consider a hysterectomy. But, I'm only 29 and want to avoid that for a few years if I can. I basically don't do much different other than pain management with ibuprofen when necessary. It's one of those things I just learned to suffer through. Not much fun, but you get the hand you are dealt and learn to play it!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have Stage 3 endometriosis and do not have an issue with intense exercise. I have severe pain around the start of my cycle but I can manage it and power through. I've heard of the "diet" but my physician feels it has no effect on it and I have to agree with her. I workout 6 days a week; running, lifting and HIIT. My only issue with my Endo is infertility and pain!
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    I have PCOS, was diagnosed at the age of 16, fertility issues but had one blessing 3 yrs ago. I am on metformin. I was overweight all my life. But it does not matter if you have this. Truth is weight is one of teh issues with it but it is NOT something you cannot win the battle on. We just process sugars and insulins different because of teh PCOS and we have to eat healthier and exercise. I went from 389-214 and currently at 235, It is an up and down battle but mostly down once I stayed on track.

I can jump 15lbs in a week if I do not eat good and exercise. I have used weight watchers and it works even with PCOS, I have done a 1200 cal diet and watched EVERYTHING I put in my mouth and it worked, I used Body Bug and logged all my food an exerceise and it worked. Its just about doing. I did several things only to break up the program as I had alot to loose and over a period of years it helps to change it up a bit. You can do it PCOS is a simple vaginal ultrasound that will diagnosis that at your OB, insulin resistance that comes with most PCOS can be checked by blood work at any doctor

Thanks for the reply!

I am starting to wonder whether it's more PCOS than endometriosis because of the rapid weight gain over the years; obviously I would prefer neither but I wish that I could be diagnosed quicker so I know what it is and how to really get it all under control. Yeah, it definitely is up and down - for me, it's only ever a couple of lbs at the time; like at the moment, I've hit a plateau. Ugh :indifferent:

I have to wait 3 months to see if I can lose 5lbs - if not, then my doctor has said about the metformin; but was wondering if that can be done when I haven't yet been diagnosed? I had a scan which is how they came to the borderline PCOS/endometriosis decision. :grumble:

I usually eat quite well - obviously have a treat every now and again but I don't off the rails for obvious reasons. I can't do weightwatchers and the likes of because of money, which is why I use MFP so I can keep track of what I'm eating calorie wise and also my exercise.
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    Hello. I have PCOS. Was diagnosed in 2004. I have been on Metformin ever since. I could not figure out why I was gaining so much weight even when I was working out 3 days a week and watching what I ate. Once the doctor figured out the right amount of Metformin, I was able to lose weight. I was able to lose a little over 40 pounds with the medicine, working out and watching my diet. I did have some bumps in the road with learning what I could eat and could not eat while taking Metformin.

Currently I am working on losing that last 10 pounds. It is a little more difficult, but it can be done. With the help of family, friends and MFP, anything is possible! Feel free to add me to your friends if you would like. I would be more than happy to give you support. Also, MFP has a group for people who have PCOS. You might want to join the group and read all the valuable information that is there.

Good luck and I am routing for you.

Thanks for the reply!

Yep, I started off like you - the weight gain started at around 16/17 which is when I went on the pill; came off the pill and started getting pains which is why I went the to doctors. Yet, when I was on the pill and I went to the doctors because of the weight gain I was told it was what I was eating - which I knew it wasn't. I think I'm quite good. I just hope if the orlistat tablets don't work that they can give me a diagnosis as quickly as possible so I can get it all under control. I've lost 5lb in the past week of being on the orlistat and now hit a plateau. Hmmm.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Thanks, friend request on its way!
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24. I was never put on any medication (I have no idea why). After almost 2 years of trying I was blessed with my daughter....she is my one and only miracle baby! I have battled with my weight since then (over 11 years now). But just recently I decided it was time for a change. It's been 55 days and I'm down 17 lbs plus 18 inches all over. I started off just changing my diet. Then started walking, which turned into jogging, 2 miles a day. I just completed my 10th day of Insanity and I love it!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 11 years ago and had surgery to have it removed and since then I have been on the pill non stop(recently had the mirena inserted) so I do not have any effects of endometriosis. I exercise 5x week, weight training and running - 2 years ago I lost 50 pounds, still struggling to get the last 15-20 gone.

I do not take any medications aside from the pill, I do not have children.

Good luck to you.
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    I have pretty bad endometriosis. I've already had one round of laproscopic surgery to remove the build up. Then I was put on shots of Lupron Depot for 6 months. That treatment process really helped for about a year. However, I have noticed that it seems to be back. I haven't been in to the doctor yet, but I am pretty sure they will want to do another round of Lupron.
    My doctor suggests I eventually consider a hysterectomy. But, I'm only 29 and want to avoid that for a few years if I can. I basically don't do much different other than pain management with ibuprofen when necessary. It's one of those things I just learned to suffer through. Not much fun, but you get the hand you are dealt and learn to play it!

Thanks for the reply!

Oh wow, what does Lupron Depot do? Does it help with pain? Yeah, it scares me to think I may be diagnosed with endometriosis because of probably needing a hysterectomy; probably scares me more because my mum had it, she had a hysterectomy and just seeing what she went through at the time was horrible - she was 31 (41 now) and I'm 21, 22 in two weeks. She also had cysts on her ovaries too, which makes me wonder even more.

I can't take ibuprofen, so at the time, before going back on the pill, the only painkiller I could use was co-codamol, but obviously I was advised not too stay on it too long because codeine is addictive. But it worked wonders for the pain. After going back on the pill, the pain has gone and only returns if I forget to take it.
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    I have Stage 3 endometriosis and do not have an issue with intense exercise. I have severe pain around the start of my cycle but I can manage it and power through. I've heard of the "diet" but my physician feels it has no effect on it and I have to agree with her. I workout 6 days a week; running, lifting and HIIT. My only issue with my Endo is infertility and pain!

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't know there were stages?! Gosh. :noway: My pain is whenever - when I wasn't on the pill and when my periods decided to show up, it would be during the cycle and inbetween - just constant pain. I'm practically on the diet without even knowing it! haha :laugh: Wow, that's intense, 6 days a week. Does it work for you weight loss wise? Yes, the pain, is definitely an issue - but only if I forget the take the pill lol.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    PCOS diagnosis about 20 years ago. The only thing that has helped me lose weight is Metformin. Well, it didn't make me lose, it made it possible for me to lose when I tried. The biggest thing I have found that helps me is exercise. Low carb or GI diets never made a difference for me.
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24. I was never put on any medication (I have no idea why). After almost 2 years of trying I was blessed with my daughter....she is my one and only miracle baby! I have battled with my weight since then (over 11 years now). But just recently I decided it was time for a change. It's been 55 days and I'm down 17 lbs plus 18 inches all over. I started off just changing my diet. Then started walking, which turned into jogging, 2 miles a day. I just completed my 10th day of Insanity and I love it!

Thanks for the reply!

I suppose every doctor is different and unfortunately, people with the same condition get help in various ways. Congratulations on your daughter! and the weight loss! Oh wow, Insanity, that must be intense! How're you finding it?
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 11 years ago and had surgery to have it removed and since then I have been on the pill non stop(recently had the mirena inserted) so I do not have any effects of endometriosis. I exercise 5x week, weight training and running - 2 years ago I lost 50 pounds, still struggling to get the last 15-20 gone.

I do not take any medications aside from the pill, I do not have children.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the reply!

I went back on the pill in September and it seems to be acting like a painkiller for the moment! I'm not familiar with the mirena, what is it - like the coil? Congratulations on the weight loss!
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    PCOS diagnosis about 20 years ago. The only thing that has helped me lose weight is Metformin. Well, it didn't make me lose, it made it possible for me to lose when I tried. The biggest thing I have found that helps me is exercise. Low carb or GI diets never made a difference for me.

Thanks for the reply!

My doctor also suggested the low card and GI diets and I'm the same, nothing has really worked for me. I just hope, after using the orlistat, that I can get a diagnosis so I can eventually control or at least help whatever is going on with my body!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

My doctor also suggested the low card and GI diets and I'm the same, nothing has really worked for me. I just hope, after using the orlistat, that I can get a diagnosis so I can eventually control or at least help whatever is going on with my body!

What kind of testing have they done or are considering doing? You likely should have an ovarian ultrasound to look for cysts and an insulin-glucose tolerance test to confirm if you are insulin resistant (most women with PCOS are, but not all). If you are IR, you should be on a minimum of 1500 mg of Metformin a day. Some people can control it with diet and exercise, but many cannot. I personally think the difference is that some people gained weight because they were IR (and they are the ones that need the Metformin) and others became IR because they gained weight (and they are the ones that can control it with diet/exercise/weight loss). Just my opinion - I haven't seen any studies on it.

They also should do a hormone panel and look for elevated testosterone, and other things (but for the life of me I can't remember what those other things are right now!)
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Doctor's generally push pills & surgical remedies :huh:
    Example: my sister has been having bad anxiety & has been hyperventilating recently (selling a house, moving 1500 miles, 2 kids and 1 on the way) Because she is pregnant they have to go old school - breathing techniques and breathing into a bag or mask
    If she hadn't been pregnant they would have pushed pills and unneccesary tests on her

Personally, I refuse to take any of the pills they want to push on me and I have endometriosis. However I did some research into diet changes and have felt TONS better. http://www.endo-resolved.com/ is one link I'd suggest. Cutting out the majority of dairy, gluten, especially SOY, and red meat has helped a ton. Usually I would feel like DEATH during my periods and this last one, I actually had energy. I have been able to resume working out like I want with only mild pain the week before my period.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have endometrosis, and I have found that exercise and eating clean/right have really helped with the chronic pain. I don't eat foods with hormones. I eat a lot of leafy green veggies. And I don't eat any fast-food or pre-packaged meals. I also take evening primrose oil, which has helped as well. There's no medical data to back up taking evening primrose oil, but my aunt who had endometriosis as well, recommended it.

Sometimes intense exercise does cause more pain, and if that happens I just take a break and I stretch a lot. Stretching my hips and low back really helps. Around my period, when I know that my cramps will be intense, I take a complete break from exercise (apart from veryyy slow walking or stretching). Knowing your body has helped the most though. If something doesn't feel right: stop and re-evaluate. If high-intensity aerobics bring you pain, try swimming or brisk walking. And go at your body's pace. Weight loss does not need to be done quickly.

I have lost 25lbs so far by eating clean and right, doing what's right for my body, and exercising. I'm hoping to lose 25lbs more. It'll be slow going sometimes, but that's ok. I'll get there eventually.
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    What kind of testing have they done or are considering doing? You likely should have an ovarian ultrasound to look for cysts and an insulin-glucose tolerance test to confirm if you are insulin resistant (most women with PCOS are, but not all). If you are IR, you should be on a minimum of 1500 mg of Metformin a day. Some people can control it with diet and exercise, but many cannot. I personally think the difference is that some people gained weight because they were IR (and they are the ones that need the Metformin) and others became IR because they gained weight (and they are the ones that can control it with diet/exercise/weight loss). Just my opinion - I haven't seen any studies on it.

They also should do a hormone panel and look for elevated testosterone, and other things (but for the life of me I can't remember what those other things are right now!)

So far, I've had an ultrasound scan of my ovaries and uterus which is when they said about borderline PCOS. My doctor seems to be swaying more towards endometriosis because of the pain and my mum also had it, resulting in an hysterectomy, although she's not ruling out the PCOS. I also had a blood test to check my cholesterol [which was normal], thyroid [which was normal] and for the elevated hormones, which were present.

She did say that once I'd done this 3 months on the orlistat, that she would try me on the metformin to see if that helps it. I totally understand what you mean about the exercise and diet - I certainly can't which is why I went on the orlistat.