• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I take issue with #15 and #22
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love this very good info here. Thanks for posting.:happy:
    Balance and eating throughout the day is the key and drink more water.:wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is very good. Except:

#15 - you need sufficient protein to build/maintain muscle and, unless you have a medical condition, the dosage of protein that would cause health issues is very high. Just make sure you stay hydrated enough.
    #22 - only relevant to some individuals and only relevant to any individual if they are not tracking food intake.

That being said, this is 200% better that the usual articles posted.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^agreed. Fasting is sometimes and excellent way to lose weight and spur fat loss.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Things like this would be much better if they sited research studies.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    This is a great article. Thank you for posting!
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Protein is very important but the myth is you need to overeat protein. Such as more than 70g for a female not working out is too much.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    "The only difference that exercise has been found to have on food was that food is reported to taste better after
    exercise."

Beer certainly does.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love this very good info here. Thanks for posting.:happy:
    Balance and eating throughout the day is the key and drink more water.:wink:
    8 glasses of water a day is a myth, I'm surprised that wasn't listed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Protein is very important but the myth is you need to overeat protein. Such as more than 70g for a female not working out is too much.

Overeating by definition is not necessary, but it will not do you harm. How is 70g for a female not working out too much? What is the basis for that assertion?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Overeating by definition is not necessary, but it will not do you harm. How is 70g for a female not working out too much? What is the basis for that assertion?

This is one blurb about protein requirements that I found:

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.

This is pretty consistently the answer you will get from most health authorities. People need WAY less protein than most people here seem to think, and you can indeed get too much. Like I said, the paragraph below is just one source. But if you look at a bunch of different sources, most of the recommendations are the same. Based on the research I have done, I need around 45 or so grams a day. I have done quite a bit of research because when most people here I am vegetarian, that is the first thing they worry about, how much protein I am getting.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Myth 13: Ketosis caused by high protein diets reduces hunger.
    FACT: Ketosis is the process of the body burning fat as its main energy source because there are not enough
    carbohydrates available to burn. It is not the Ketosis that causes the loss of appetite, but an adequate amount of
    protein intake will help reduce one’s hunger. Most of the weight lost on these diets is made up of water weight and
    lean muscle mass and is easily regained once the diet is stopped

lost me...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.

This is pretty consistently the answer you will get from most health authorities. People need WAY less protein than most people here seem to think, and you can indeed get too much. Like I said, the paragraph below is just one source. But if you look at a bunch of different sources, most of the recommendations are the same. Based on the research I have done, I need around 45 or so grams a day. I have done quite a bit of research because when most people here I am vegetarian, that is the first thing they worry about, how much protein I am getting.

Source please.

Also, I would like to add that people on a deficit usually require more protein. The above is probably about folks on maintenance (but I am assuming here as there is no source quoted) and as such are not running the risk of losing LBM while on CR.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    FACT: Ketosis is the process of the body burning fat as its main energy source because there are not enough
    carbohydrates available to burn. It is not the Ketosis that causes the loss of appetite, but an adequate amount of
    protein intake will help reduce one’s hunger. Most of the weight lost on these diets is made up of water weight and

lost me...

Good spot - I missed that last piece - water weight, yes, LBM,???
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

lost me...

I think the author is confused because technically LBM = anything that's not fat, which would include water. The author is lumping in LBM with muscle mass.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

"The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement"

Key word in that statement is minimum and I would dispute that! Minimum does not mean recomended. It means not to go below. If you are acitve with exercise at all these minimums would be ridiculously low and cause catabolism in my opinion.
  • n0ob
    Options

lost me...

I think the author is confused because technically LBM = anything that's not fat, which would include water. The author is lumping in LBM with muscle mass.

if they explicitely said that, then I would have no objection. Saying LBM gives the connotation to a lay person that you're talking muscle.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can we plaster #19 on every page of this site???
  • n0ob
    Options
    Can we plaster #19 on every page of this site???

25 as well.