hungry! (but not)

Options
I just started myfitnesspal recently, and I was wondering what you do when you FEEL hungry, but your NOT really hungry.

Sometimes I feel like going on a rampage through my kitchen because I'm hungry and want to eat everything in site. But I know I'm not really hungry. My stomach isn't growling, and my stomach feels full (or at least not empty) from eating earlier. I just want to eat.

So what do you do to stop thinking about food and stop wanting to eat?

Replies

• annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me like sugar withdrawal. At least that's how I felt when I was trying to break my addiction to sugar, for me it usually takes 1 week until it calms down and 2 until it's for the most part gone. Try sugar free gum, and by all means don't give into it, try doing something else
  • chrisd0201
    chrisd0201 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also just started myfitnesspal, but have been a Weight Watcher for many years. They suggest drinking some water, going for a walk, reading a book and just plain getting your mind off of food. Now I know how easy that sounds, it really isn't. I usually try a small porton of chocolate. That usually stops the craving for whatever....but everybody is different. I have also heard eating a piece of fruit or something with some fiber in it works. I think you wll need to find what works better for you. There are some low calorie bites of food that would fix the urge to eat and not damage all of the good you have done for the day. Hope this helps, Chris
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Drink TONS of water & treat yourself to a pack of gum. Just 1 stick can be your best friend. My favorite brand is 5 Gum. I love their Zing & Solstice flavors :)
    Zing has saved me plenty of times from binging on sweet things, and Solstice is great for after a meal to help keep any post-meal cravings (ie: dessert) in check.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing a lot of hunger later in the day at work and sabotaged all my weight loss efforts with lots of junk food that sits around the office. But then I saw my dietitian, and I read a book called the Snack Factor. Both my dietitian and the Snack Factor book advocate eating 6 small "meals" a day instead of 3 larger ones. I have found that I am really not very hungry at all on a small amount of food if I eat every 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Even if my snack is just a handful of nuts, or a small apple and a piece of string cheese, I end up eating much less during lunch and dinner and I don't feel hungry.
  • ladybug220
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I'm going to try these next time I'm "hungry"