I am new to this site. And this is my story.

Options
I am 43 years old. I have faught with my weight on and off all my life, well not really I guess, but since High school. I have my own In Home Daycare. My first marriage broke up many years ago because of my weight. My husband of 17 years couldn't care less what I weigh. Just 7 years ago I was a size 6, but lost the weight (Over 100 pounds) ALL the wrong ways. Now it is more like an 18+. I have tried every diet out there that I could afford (None of those packaged foods programs). I lived on shakes, starvation diets, WW, went to TOPS, books, etc, etc.. Each time I lost my motivation. I need to get that back and stick to it. I also know that I need helpful ideas and supportive people. I am NOT an exerciser at all. I used to love it and now I can't even get myself to do it.

I have a low self esteem because of my appearance. I have three children and would love to run around with them without being winded. I do play with them, like voleyball and badmitton as long at it is hit to me and I dont have to move much. I have a Daycare and want to be able to keep up with the young ones. I owe all the children that. But I also want to look and feel better. It is discourageing to have to buy larger size clothing.

My most recent eating plan/Diet was a few months ago and it was the "Fitness shake" plan. I got the shakes at GNC, not just Slim fast, but drank those in a Hurry. I lasted about a month and got tired of shakes. I have a close friend that her and her husband have lost a lot of weight through changing what they eat, going Organic and special shakes as well, through a company. I know this sounds like just another excuse, but I am too busy to make special foods for myself, and my family would not eat what I would make. I need something quick as I am always running myself or one of my children some where. The slim fast worked for that, but quickly stopped filling me up. The other shakes I had required a belnder and fruits and powder plus milk. They tasted really good, and did fill me up for the most part, but got tired of them and with the Daycare couldn't always run the blender when I thought of making a shake.

SO, here I am starting over again. This time I don't even know where to start. How to begin a new eating plan/life style. Food that is good for you is so expensive too. And I hate fish, I wish I liked it but I have tried and can't make myself.

Okay, I have gone on long enough. Wish me luck!!! And please help me with your support and advise..

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating doesn't have to be expensive and you don't have to make two meals. You have to watch your portions and plan your day. The site here is so supportive it has been pretty easy the last 20 days. You came to the right place.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wecome! :)

I agree with tekwriter. My Hubs isn't into dieting and there is no way I'll make two meals so I change a few things (leaner meats, more veg, less pasta/rice/potatoes) in recipes to make them lighter and watch my portion sizes. And the rest of the day I try to keep it light and/or get my exercise in so I can earn the calories to make up the difference.

LIke I tell most people in your position, take it one day at a time for a while. Set small goals and don't worry about being perfect from day one or you'll get overwhelmed. And if something is getting boring, don't give up, just change that one thing. I'm not a fan of shakes either but I'll sometimes put protein powder in my coffee to get that extra boost in the morning.

Try to plan your meals for the week if you can. Grab your recipe book and come up with breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner and make your grocery list based on that so there's no guesswork. It takes some organization and a bit of time but it's worth it in the end!

Not sure if you know this yet but there is a recipe section under Foods where you can add some of your favorites to get started.

Good luck! :)
  • larabell69
    Options
    I agree you are at the right place, 1st thing forget the past!! forgive yourself, and start anew today!! I have a simlar story to yours! I

have two children 24 and 18 and just found myself back to the baby weight of the 2nd one after 18 years of yo yo diteing.... that s

another thing..." not a dite" no loner a dite! its a new way of life and eating. a few things that has helped me is to make ahead, grill meat that I can use the next day as well, crock pot soups and then frez the left overs.

eat what I like but try to find the

healthier choice of that fav dish, food, and staying in the portion size, what ever it says on the box is what I log... and # 1 thing log

everything, keep a lil note book handy and log once a day if you need too, this will help you see where the calories are coming from

and how to make them changes... I search the community bords when I have free time to help with stuff that comes up, lots of great info there too. need info on something, just type in the search box and you be amazed what you will find!

These things have helped me lose and get me into better habits of life........ Hugs to you!