Muffin Top

Options
Ok, I am hoping I am not the only one out here that has had this problem. Any body have a muffin top?? :laugh: Get my jeans zipped and there it is right over the top of my pants. Will it go away with weight loss?? Any tips on exercises to get rid of this thing???

Replies

• marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yes it will go away. It's just there because your pants are too small.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Mine improved with weight loss and exercise. I downloaded to my ipod Absolute abs and did those exercises for a while. I am now doing 30DS. All are hard, still hard, but easier than they were at first. I will keep on doing each lot of exercises until I find them too easy, which is likely to be a while away. dare I say it that they are actually fun in a masochistic way haha.

The main thing is to keep on working at it, it does work!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Muffin tops happen due to people wearing the wrong cut of jeans for their bodies (and yes, jeans that are too small, too.) Try on some different pairs of jeans and you'll be sure to find some that don't cut you in half like that, but aren't mom-jeans, either. I'm hourglass shaped, for example, and absolutely can't wear low-rise jeans for that same reason. Getting jeans that hit an inch or so below my navel solves that problem. :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your jeans are too small. You could try a higher-waisted variety of pants too, they are typically more slimming and will eliminate the muffin top.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've just bought a pair of higher cut jeans. They don't look mumsie but are so much more comfortable and now no muffin top. I am not super tall (5 ft7) but have normal size legs but am long between my legs and waist so this cut if jeans is so much better.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to! Just get your overall body fat down. Focus on strength and cardio and have a clean diet. Give it time. It will start going down. Get jeans that are more high waist. More at your belly button for now until you lose the belly. Heck, I lived in sweat pants/yoga pants until I could fit back into my pre baby jeans. No shame in that.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am hoping I am not the only one out here that has had this problem. Any body have a muffin top?? :laugh: Get my jeans zipped and there it is right over the top of my pants. Will it go away with weight loss?? Any tips on exercises to get rid of this thing???

Agree with everyone else - you have a muffin top because your jeans are too small or the wrong style for your body (or a combination of both).

Your waist will get smaller as you lose weight. However, you may or may not lose weight around your waist at the same rate you lose everywhere else. It all depends on how you are genetically programmed to carry/store fat.

You can't spot reduce fat. The only thing you can do is continue to lose weight and reduce your body fat percentage. And buy jeans that fit :)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I will always have a muffin top, it has NOTHING to do with size of pants for me.
    I had twins and I have alot of extra skin. If I wear an 8 I have a small one, if I wear a 10 I can't keep my pants up and I look like an idiot in way to big of pants.
    Some cuts help better than others.

So to say all you need is bigger pants isn't true 100%.

ETA.. for me I spend more time finding tops that hide it.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I will always have a muffin top, it has NOTHING to do with size of pants for me.
    I had twins and I have alot of extra skin. If I wear an 8 I have a small one, if I wear a 10 I can't keep my pants up and I look like an idiot in way to big of pants.

Yes, the extra skin will get you. Spanx and tight tank tops under your shirts may help smooth things out...
  • cathyc71
    cathyc71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I heard this the other day and thought I'd share..... I don't mean any offense, just thought it was funny....

Putting on a cute shirt over your muffin top does not make you a cupcake. :laugh:
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Size and cut definitely helps for me, and I'm noticing that I'm losing my butt and thighs WAY faster than I'm losing my tummy. Oddly, I found a pair of juniors jeans this weekend that look better on me than any of the misses jeans that I've worn recently. At least my nieces think I'm cool now. :laugh:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

Yes, the extra skin will get you. Spanx and tight tank tops under your shirts may help smooth things out...

True! Never really worried about it.. I am a mom :) if I had to wear something like a dress I would care more. I just spend more time finding the right cuts in the right size!

haha as a lady at the gym says, we are mom's, we have mom bums LOL ewww
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    mine got smaller as I lost weight. But weight training (squats, superman) really helped!
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Here's the song I sing when I see my muffin top in the mirror:tongue:

Everyone knows the most delicious part of the muffin is the top.

My muffin top is all that.
    Whole-grain, low-fat.
    I know you wanna piece of that,
    But I just wanna dance.

Ch-checkin' out my sweet hips,
    My sugar-coated berry lips.
    I know you wanna get with this,
    But I'm just here to dance.

So back up off of me,
    You're weirding me out.

I'm an independent lady.
    So do not try to play me.
    I run a tidy bakery.
    The boys all want my cake for free,
    But if you can't shake your fakery
    Then kiss my muffin top.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your pants don't your body correctly. either they are too small or the wrong cut
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    yes it will go away. It's just there because your pants are too small.

this...i have it when i try to go down a size to soon. Mind u, as long as i can zip it i still call it good but it will go away
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Well, duh. Don't wear pants then.
    C'mon, people. Do I have to help you with everything?
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Here's the song I sing when I see my muffin top in the mirror:tongue:

Everyone knows the most delicious part of the muffin is the top.

My muffin top is all that.
    Whole-grain, low-fat.
    I know you wanna piece of that,
    But I just wanna dance.

Ch-checkin' out my sweet hips,
    My sugar-coated berry lips.
    I know you wanna get with this,
    But I'm just here to dance.

So back up off of me,
    You're weirding me out.

I'm an independent lady.
    So do not try to play me.
    I run a tidy bakery.
    The boys all want my cake for free,
    But if you can't shake your fakery
    Then kiss my muffin top.

Love that song! haha, I can see Jenna now...
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am there with the terrible muffin top (from baby skin & belly fat).

Supersize muffin top at 150+ pounds & size 12
    Medium muffin top at 145+ pounds and size 10
    No muffin top at 135 and size 8/10

Spanx and other shapewear work. But, you got to buy alot to figure out which one is the best.
    - Heavy duty needed for Holiday party type event? Try a "Squeem", but not under light fabric as the hook line (in front) will show.