calories per day

EmilyStrick
EmilyStrick Posts: 267
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
is it really that bad to go below 1200 calories per day? i want to do 1050 per day.........

Replies

• Going below 1200 calories can slow down your metabolism making it harder to burn calories at your current rate. You gain NOTHING by eating less than 1200 calories.
  • you may think it is a good idea but it isnt
    you are going to put your body in starvation mode and wont loose weigh
    google some more info on this but I think you should stick to 1200 or more
  • Im finding it almost impossible to eat 1200 calories a day!! Plus then when you exercise you get the extra calories. Everyone keeps saying that you should eat all the calories but its hard!
  • totally not hard for me to eat all the calories!!! so, if i exercise, should i definitely eat more calories to make up for those lost through exercise, or is it ok to eat 1200 calories per day, but work off some without replenishing them???
  • I asked that same question a few days ago and was told by more than one person that you should eat the extra calories.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I also find it very hard to eat back all my calories that I exercised off. But If I didn't I would go way below 1200 calories and I know I can't do that.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Some people with very small frames can go below 1200, but ALWAYS eat your exercise calories. If you don't, no matter what your calorie baseline is, you WILL go into starvation mode, because if you are burning more fuel than you have, your metabolism will slow down to compensate.

If you've done the guided goal plan MFP provides, you should have a pretty good picture of what you need to loose weight safely. If you want to loose faster, keep in mind that doing so is dangerous, especially on your own. Shows like the Biggest Loser are done with a full staff off nutritionists, doctors and trainers working behind the scenes, and that kind of crash dieting without such advisement can have you losing muscle, not fat, while your body tries to survive a perceived famine
This discussion has been closed.