Breakfast Help

Options
So breakfast is my nemesis!!! I try so hard to eat a low cal healthy breakfast but then I get lazy and end up eating something I know is horrible for me. To make matters worse I do not like the typical things most recommend - yogurt, smoothies, cereal, oatmeal and bananas (allergic). Does anyone have suggestions on a healthy but filling breakfast that is easy to make at work? Oh and something that will not wreck havoc on my cholesterol, I am at 256 (down from 289!!).

Replies

• olemissgal00als
    olemissgal00als Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can make a crustless quiche - using eggs, a little cheese, and veggies of your choice just bake in pie plate. Lately, I have been making pumpkin waffles - they are extremely easy to make and I make on Sundays and take two to work each day and just toast at work. Serve with sliced strawberries, walnuts and no sugar added syrup or peanut butter. These also freeze really well.

Each waffle contains:
    125 calories
    Carbohydrates: 21 grams
    Protein: 12 grams
    Fiber: 3 grams
    Less than 1 gram of fat and sugar

Pumpkin Protein Waffles
    Makes 3 waffles
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (like Optimum)
    1/2 cup organic canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup egg beaters or egg whites
    Dash of cinnamon or pumpkin spice
    Dash of salt
    Dash of baking soda
    Mix everything together in a blender. Spray your waffle iron with non-stick spray, like Pam. Set to medium-high heat. Fill 3/4 of the way full, close lid until light goes off or "Ready." Waffle comes out a beautiful, delicious orange color. Re-spray your waffle iron in between each waffle, or they will stick! (Because there is very little fat in the waffles.)
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I cook one egg and add 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup low-fat jack cheese, and some salsa. Put it all into a Tupperware container, and once I get to work, put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. I also drink a cup of skim milk. Egg whites would work as well if you're trying to cut back on cholesterol. Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So breakfast is my nemesis!!! I try so hard to eat a low cal healthy breakfast but then I get lazy and end up eating something I know is horrible for me. To make matters worse I do not like the typical things most recommend - yogurt, smoothies, cereal, oatmeal and bananas (allergic). Does anyone have suggestions on a healthy but filling breakfast that is easy to make at work? Oh and something that will not wreck havoc on my cholesterol, I am at 256 (down from 289!!).

Steak and eggs

Pumpkin pancakes

Lemon ricotta pancakes with blueberry compote

Belgian waffles with fresh fruit and whipped cream

Reeses Puffs

Breakfast burrito

Migas

Huevos Rancheros

Hash with poached eggs

Water

Nothing
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of liquid egg whites cooked with PAM with a 4oz tilapia filet. It's very filling and yummy. I have to avoid cereal because I go overboard!
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How about Healthy life english muffin (80 calories) and some canadian bacon. Land o frost has canadian bacon 5 slices for 60 calories. Whole sandwich is only 140 calories and tastes great!
  • AimeeCu
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

I was assuming the eggs, ham and cheese was bad for me but it looks like if I just sub egg whites I will be better off on calories and cholesterol?
  • Jannibananny
    Options
    I am not a big fan of breakfast and must be at work at 7:30 am. As such, my go to option is a bar (not a margarita!). My favorites are Nature's Valley's "Honey n' Oats", and Kashi's "Chewy Honey Almond Flax." Not quite a donut, but a nice treat! The Nature's Valley product has two bars, so I try to eat just one and save the other for later in the day. Like most things, sometime I am successful, sometimes not! Good luck! I hope you like!

BTW: 190 & 140 calories, respectively.
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    I eat four pieces of toast, (52 cals each), 50g of cheerios with soya milk and a yoghurt. BIG BREAKFASTS ARE THE BEST!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am a bacon lover...nom nom.. and eat 2 pieces of bacon every morning either with an egg or toast
  • Rickswife2010
    Options
    I eat an egg white omelet almost every morning. 4 egg whites and 1/8 cup of mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of salsa.... Less than 200 calories and it's filling. You can also make egg white omelet muffins. They are great for on the go. Just mix egg whites your choice of vegetables, fill muffin tins, sprinkle with cheese and bake till done. Top em off with salsa before you eat :)
  • gordycookie
    Options
    Eggwhites and veggies into an omelet!
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Correct. Egg whites have much less cholesterol and fewer calories. I scramble 3 egg whites and add turmeric to make them look yellow and normal. Usually add mozzarella, tomato and spinach, as well.