I feel disgusting

Options

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Everybody fails...those who succeed are the ones who pick themselves up and keep running.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Next time you will know to NOT buy that type of food in the first place. You're just setting yourself up for failure. If you truly cannot stop at one or two (even if you're not sure if you can), then don't even start. I'm the type of person that has to stay away from junk food altogether because the more I eat, the more I want.

You don't have to avoid all foods that you love forever, but you need to understand your vulnerabilities. When something as seemingly as inconsequential as candy assumes so much power over us, it can make us feel like we're less than capable adults. That leads to negative thinking, like 'I'm disgusting' or 'why can't I do this?'. Setbacks are inevitable. Keeping relapse at bay is not about being strong enough to beat the temptation of eating 'bad' food, but about being smart enough to deal with it.

You CAN do this. You just have to recommit yourself EVERY single day and don't put yourself in situations that are ripe with failure.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have days (and nights) where we eat and drink things that aren't the most healthful. It is simply part of being a fallible human.

The thing is, you need to stop beating yourself up when you consume something that you believe you *shouldn't*.

I know it is easier said than done, but I am learning to do this and no longer see every indulgence as a failure.

When it happens, I acknowledge it by logging it in my food diary (it isn't always easy to be honest there, but I force myself to do it), and then I move on.

One thing I've learned -- and sincerely believe - is that every day is a new opportunity to start again.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. But I don't beat myself up about it. I ate light all day, Halloween Candy ended up being my dinner and I've drunk lots and lots of water since then. Today, I'm eating extra light again and I'll be sure to get some exercise in. It will be fine. If we quit everytime we weren't perfect, I think none of us would get out of bed in the morning ever.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin up. One incident does not make you or break you. Jump back on track and you'll be fine. We are here to support you....
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    :huh:

i feel amazing :flowerforyou:

really .... just because you messed up once does not mean you have ruined everything. Standup and brush yourself off and get to it. Wishing for a before and after pic isn't going to happen magically. Get your *kitten* moving !! You got this !

this^^ we all do it, just pick yourself back up and keep going!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1. Food should not cause guilt. You ate some candy. It really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. You'll eat more candy and junk at some point. As long as your making better decisions the majority of the time, you'll be fine.

2. Never Give Up.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I literally just went on a two week total and complete failure of my diet (due to lots of financial stress). It's been horrible. I ate more than triple over my daily calorie goal for TWO weeks! The last four months has been GREAT. I got down below my goal weight and started to see abs for the first time in my life! Am I going to let this totally derail me for the rest of my life? HECK NO. I am waking up every single day with a positive attitude to do better than the day before. My ticker might say I have more weight to lose again but I'm not letting it get me down. The number on the scale is not going to control my whole life. I'm going to get back on track and you will too. ONE night, or two, or three, or a whole month should not give you a reason to totally give up. Pick your self up and start fresh. This is a life long journey.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Dust yourself off, and get back out there!!!

Everyone slips up, and thats ok, it happens its human nature. The important thing is that u recognized it, and you need to move on. Trust me, i have slipped and fallen and I am sure everyone here can relate.

So what you slipped up?

Are you going to let it stop you? please don't let it!!!! If i had given up every time i fell on my behind, I would still be at 243 not 179.6 (i lost weight before rejoining mfp because of the pregnancy. My before weight is based on after giving birth). Start fresh today, you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I am sure if you take the MFPer with the very best before and after pic and ask them even they will have had a few nights like yours!! Just because you had a night or 2 of a slip up doesn't mean you need to start all over. Take this feeling and keep it in your back pocket for the next time you feel like splurging. This probably won't be your last night like this either. I'm not saying that because I don;t think you have enough willpower or anything negative like that its just this journey never seems to be a linear one, People will **** up every now and again and you know what sometimes even these **** ups are good for you. Now that you have had what you are craving you should be okay without any for a while more (next time try to plan in some of what you want in moderation). Take this experience and learn from it. Use it to make yourself work a little harder at the gym or eat a little bit healthier out of it. Good luck and keep going!! You've got all of MFP behind you cheering you on!!
  • B7UTO
    B7UTO Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't feel that way, you know you can take control, you've done it before. Do not set yourself unrealistic, unsustainable goals, just change eating habits a little, it soon becomes second nature. You need to be in this for the long term, quick win is always short term win
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    WOW....you really are beating the CRAP out of yourself!.....How does that feel?

TODAY is a new day.....Be kind and gentle to yourself and revel in the fact that Today is a NEW DAY!
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite poems...

Don't Quit

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to give up just because you gave in,
    and forget all about being healthy and thin.
    So What! You went over your calories a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit!
    It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
    It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
    To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to get back in the race.
    But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
    And learn too late when the damage is done,
    that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.
    Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
    but facing each challenge will help you grow.
    Success is failure turned inside out,
    the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.
    When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
    If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
    - Author Unknown

Don't give up on yourself!
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Hey! What are you talking about? Quitting? No way!!!!! You are fearfully and wonderfully made--don't blow it! Next year, you may want to let someone else pass out candy. Keep moving! Continue logging! Get excited about where you're headed!

I lost 40 pounds, using this website and lots of exercise. It feels great! I can do so much more! I'm free!!!!! I no longer want to puke when I see myself in the mirror. I even like some of my recent photos.

I saved a few items of clothing from earlier, slimmer times, and, occasionally, tried them on to check my progress. It was exciting when they finally fit. If you don't have saved clothing, buy a cute dress or pair of jeans in your goal size, then work to get into them!

If you don't have the willpower to resist candy, spend next Halloween doing something else. If you're like me, your body will adapt to healthy foods, and you'll eventually reach a point where you can't eat many sweets without feeling sick at your stomach.

Hop back on or, better yet, chase the fitness wagon! Many others have succeeded in reaching their goals, and there's no reason you can't reach your goal. Get excited about it! Have fun with it! Try new activities and meet new people--slim people or people, like you, who are actively improving their fitness. Whatever you do, don't look around you and tell yourself, "I must be okay, because I'm not that big." Don't settle for "not as bad." Shoot for being the best you can be!

God bless you. Now keep moving! :flowerforyou:
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to restart this whole trying to lose weight thing. Going to have to change my ticker from 5 lbs lost to 0 lbs lost.
    I have been doing so good saying NO to junk food for the past 2 weeks...but then last night happened.

As Im sitting on my front step waiting for trick or treaters...holding a giant bowl of candy and choolate...(my weakness) I snuck a starrt burst. That star burst turned into a few mini chocolate bars, a couple of mini bags of chips and a bag of popcorn with dill pickle powder while watching a movie with hubby last night. Pretty much the same thing today. I feel gross and repulsive. Starting to think you know what....maybe Im just supposed to be fat. I have been trying for a year to lose weight but Im just stuck at the same weight and Im not blaming anyone but myself. Im so lazy, tired and exsausted. I wanna keep going but I just wanna give up and accept the reality that itll never happen.

All I ever wanted was a before and after photo like all you wonderful people on here. But I just dont think I can do it.

So......last night you were walking down the steps on a leisurely stroll and not paying attention.......and ya tripped on that damn 2nd step (piece of loose carpet ya know).and you stumbled......but ya CAUGHT YOURSELF. Now you have 2 options...

#1) You can be more careful the rest of the way and make it safely the rest of the way on your journey

..................or

#2) You can just throw your goofy *kitten* down the other 30 steps and land at the bottom in a heap.

Hmmmm. ....::::::pondering which choice is better:::::......

I suspect most of us.......YOU included would opt to be more careful and WALK the rest of the way down the steps. (it IS less painful)

It is almost literally quite that simple. Now......get yer *kitten* up and walk til ya run where ya wanna go. We cant get there for ya hun.....but you sure as hell can.

COME ON NOW!!!!!!!!! GO!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>

catexercisetodaymovetolefttommovetoright.jpg
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I had to change my ticker from 8 lbs lost to 0 lbs lost.

Just keep swimming. Do what you can TODAY. Don't worry about yesterday or last week or last month or last year. Worry only about RIGHT NOW.

I'm using the MFP blog as a journal and it's really helping me out.

I'm also going to start the Eat More to Weigh Less thing. I like food and I like being strong. So it seems right for me. It takes a long time for it to work, but in the grand scheme of things, I think it's for the best. Maybe you should look at your methods too? See if there's something you should change?

Most of all, don't settle. No one was "meant" to be fat. You were "meant" to live a life full of joy, laughter, excitement, wonder, love and awe.

You can be a person of inspiration too. YOU CAN. It's just a matter of when. When these things happen, it feels like failure. But if you wake up the next day and get out of bed and TRY AGAIN..... then it is NOT FAILURE - it is only a setback in your overall goal.

You can do it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For most, a lifestyle includes some indulgences ... some meals out, a christmas dinner and mince pies, a chocolate bar here and there, an ice cream cone or two over summer, a random urge for a cappuccino and a slice of cake...that is part of life. Sure, some choose to eliminate that stuff entirely and some succeed, but not many. It is a balancing act and remembering that everyone's weight fluctuates, only many are unaware of it because they naturally balance things out and so remain within a certain range. Try and think like a person who has never been on a 'diet' and who simply follows a natural rhythm. You will find, usually, that when you indulge in junk one day, you will gravitate towards healthier foods the next day.

Just accept it as one of those days and move on.
    It will happen again, and it serves no possible good purpose to give up or to get angry at yourself everytime you do something human.
    I would not even class it as a mistake. You had some candy on Halloween, as will the majority of people, and that day is gone now.
    Just slip back into your normal eating pattern and the weight will sort itself out.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been trying since January to lose 32 pounds. I have lost and then regained some of the weight many times over. I got to 5 pounds from my goal and gained 8 pounds back:(

So here I am, refocusing..... but not giving up. Weight loss is not a linear thing. There are ups and downs, moments that make us want to hide our head in shame and feelings of utter defeat. I have been eating so much freaking candy it is a damn travesty!! I haven't logged that crap because my diary is open to my friends and I don't want anyone to see just how much I have fallen off the wagon. I finally became honest enough with myself to update my weight, and that's a start. So you see, you are so not in the minority here!!! We all slip and even binge on large quantities of crap from time to time. Just refocus and keep your eye on the prize.