Confused. Soda and Weight Loss

Options
I drink (drank) a ton of soda. We are talking 3-4 dr peppers a day. Sometimes more. Not to mention the one or two green monsters i would drink a day (i know they are bad for you). I always hear "oh when i came off sodas i dropped 20 pounds just like that). I haven't had one single regular soda or monster in 2.5 weeks and i have NOT seen the dramatic weight loss i expected. I know it's only been two weeks but going from so much a day to nothing for two weeks i should see SOMETHING..wouldn't you think?? I have only drank diet and water. No sweet tea, no chocolate milk, nothing like that. Only diet and water.

Anyone have any inspiring words? I'm getting bummed out about it and am really starting to think I should just go ahead and drink a regular Dr. Pepper. I wouldn't do that...bc i've gotten used to diet now so it would just be a dumb health decision, but you get the point.

Words of encouragement please??? I just don't understand why nothing is fallling off :(

Replies

• BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    that's just it you are still drinking the sodas. Diet soda or regular soda it doesn't matter, it's soda.... If you replace EVERYTHING you drink with water you will lose the weight...
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Kill the diet sodas. They may say 0 calories but think about all the crap that is put into them to make them still taste like soda. It isn't good for you.

And drink MORE water. I drink a little over a gallon a day. It keeps my body hydrated and functioning properly.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No soda doesn't mean weight loss, calories in vs calories out will lead to weight loss.

Make sure you're have a reasonable calorie goal based on BMR & TDEE, measuring food accurately, and have a lot of patience. You didn't gain the weight in 2.5 weeks, why would you expect to lose it in that manner?

Good luck!
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    you're still drinking soda right? there's your problem. stop buying it, stop drinking it.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    From reading others' experiences on this subject, some people can drink soda (diet or reg) and still lose weight. For others, it can stall their losses. Just try to cut it out totally and see what happens to you. I'm cutting out the soda for the next couple of months to see what happens. Good luck!
  • westerncaroline
    Options
    When I stopped drinking soda, I didn't lose much weight, but I lost inches. It's definitely frustrating, but it took a few weeks for me to see it, maybe just a little more time?
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A womans cycle can have a lot to do with how and when we lose weight. Stay your course and stay away from the sugar. You will lose weight as long as you are not eating more calories.

Congrats, by the way.

Add on edit:
    By the way, you don't see many skinny people drinking diet soda do you? They are usually fat. I believe diet soda contributes to a large stomach.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    While I agree that reg. & diet sodas aren't good for you, I've continued to drink diet coke through my weight loss and I've lost damn near 30 lbs.

Diet and exercise result in weight loss, not drinking water until you drown. While diet sodas aren't helping the cause, they aren't the only culprit.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its only been 2.5 weeks. You aren't going to see a difference in that short of a time. It comes down to about 15 pounds a YEAR. Its still a great loss and quitting the regular soda is a good thing. I haven't had a Coke since I started in May. I do drink an occasional diet ginger ale...haven't had any problems with weight loss.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When I don't drink soda, I end up eating more to make up for an unsatisfied sweet tooth and lack of caffeine to keep me alert.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is not causing the problem.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Give it a little more time...that is a lot of calories to be cutting out (600+ cals a day I'm guessing), you will reap te benefits as long as you are not consuming those calories somewhere else like eating more. Everyone is going to say to not drink any soda, but you may not be able to go that cold turkey....try flavored selzer, when I need bubbles I drink Giant brand raspberry lime selzer and it does the trick!

Drinking water is the best thing you can do. I will say that if you normally do not drink water you are likely dehydrated so once you start hydrating yourself regularly you may notice an increase on the scale initially.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    that's just it you are still drinking the sodas. Diet soda or regular soda it doesn't matter, it's soda.... If you replace EVERYTHING you drink with water you will lose the weight...

Diet soda does not have calories and is a far better choice than regular soda if the user wishes to lose weight.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Diet soda does not have calories and is a far better choice than regular soda if the user wishes to lose weight.
    I lost 60lbs drinking more soda than the OP
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your calories? Did they decrease? Also, weight loss is not linear and can be impacted by water weight fluctuations, especially for women.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    A womans cycle can have a lot to do with how and when we lose weight. Stay your course and stay away from the sugar. You will lose weight as long as you are not eating more calories.

Congrats, by the way.

Add on edit:
    By the way, you don't see many skinny people drinking diet soda do you? They are usually fat. I believe diet soda contributes to a large stomach.

To the edit: Say what?
  • mommy2ans
    mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Soda doesn't cause weight loss or weight gain. Calories do.

There are calories in soda...alot of them.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have actually been eating better and less too, so i'm not replacing the lack of soda in that aspect. And even though im drinking diet im still not having as many as i would regular, but i do plan to stop them all eventually and drink nothing but water with a diet on occasion :)

It sound's like with everything i am doing i just need to give it more time. And maybe the person who said they lost inches instead of weight is on to something.

Thanks!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Is the soda the only change you made?
  • mommy2ans
    mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your calories? Did they decrease? Also, weight loss is not linear and can be impacted by water weight fluctuations, especially for women.

Yes, and they have. I started the dukan but wasn't seeing great results so i stopped. But since i stopped i have still been much more cautious of my sugar, fat and carb intake. My calories daily have dramatically decreased. :) I think my impatience is probably what's hurting me. ;)

That is another puzzling thing though...i ate carbs like CRAZY. Several servings of bread daily, bread with pasta, etc. That has dramatically decreased as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes, and they have. I started the dukan but wasn't seeing great results so i stopped. But since i stopped i have still been much more cautious of my sugar, fat and carb intake. My calories daily have dramatically decreased. :) I think my impatience is probably what's hurting me. ;)

That is another puzzling thing though...i ate carbs like CRAZY. Several servings of bread daily, bread with pasta, etc. That has dramatically decreased as well.

Give it more time. As I mentioned, water weight can mask underlying weight loss, especially in women. Its best to wait at least 4 - 6 weeks before coming to conclusions as to whether something is helping/working or not. Some people are more susceptible to carb water weight that others - I know I do not fluctuate that much due to them but others do. Just stick with the plan and hang in there.