Top excuses for avoiding exercise?

Options

Replies

• beandawgy
    Options
    No excuses, ever!

But I'll agree....too tired and not enough time are probably the most common. I do my best to get my *kitten* to the gym regardless...I just make it part of my routine, like going to work.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend who weighed upwards of 250 lbs, and at 5'1", is pretty darn heavy. I've tried to get her to watch her diet, exercise, even go for walks. She said she couldn't exercise because it hurt her knees. I said, no, you knees hurt because you are huge. I hated being mean, but I think it woke her up a bit. She started weight watchers and walked regularly. Lost some weight, but has a long way to go.
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i'm annoyed right now because my workout-buddy has a "sore wrist" so he won't go to the gym with me. you can do so much without even utilizing your wrist in the slightest! extra annoyed because i'm paying for his membership. :|
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For about 10 months, mine was an injury. Now, for some of that time, that was a valid excuse - but for a lot of that time, I could have certainly been doing SOMETHING! Paying now...

These days, I'll take a day or two off if I'm really feeling run down. Otherwise, I usually get to the gym for 4 -5 hours a week. Now, with the shorter days and crummy weather, I have sort of let myself get away with not doing my doubles (Monday & Thursday). Once it's dark all the damned time, I'll adjust again and be right back on it with 6 - 7 (or more) hours.

No matter what, though, the dog gets his half hour walk every morning - even with hurricanes threatening... lol
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My excuse is after a long day at work is, it is the last thing I want to do. (Doing it in the morning doesn't work for me, I wake up to congested to breath well enough)

My compromise has been running at weekends, and while at work, unless the conversation is only going to take 10 seconds I will get up and walk to whoever I need to just to keep myself mobile rather than use the phone. As as rule I take the long way round too.
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    the kids....(the biggest excuse for everything in the world)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    the small people that insist on calling me mom are typically the excuse I have used - Football practice etc - this year I made it a point while they were practicing to walk/run or squeeze in a quickie at the gym
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My biggest excuse is that my studies are more important at the moment and need to be my number 1 priority.

I used to use my workouts as another form of procrastination during Grad School "Hey, I really should go to the Library to write the next 5 pages of my thesis...but I want to log 5 miles first " :-)

My biggest excuse is having no energy (wanting nothing more than to pass out after work). I can't say time because it seems like on my busiest days is when I want to run the most and will squeeze something in between appointments or before leaving for the day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My best (or worst) excuse is "not enough time." Once I was too lazy to kick my daughter off my laptop in order to do my 30DS workout. :ohwell:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I used to say that I dont have the time bc I dont get home until late then eat dinner late and just dont have the time. Its all BS. Im just lazy right now. No need to jump me about it. I know and Im working on it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hmmm my kids are grown and out of the house. No husband. I haven't got any excuses. I work long days and I'm tired when I get home but I power through it. There are excuses!!!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I have a sinus infection coming on, so that's the excuse I'm going with today...

...probably shouldn't have lifted yesterday either...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    There are 2 big ones I hear:

Not having time - Yes you do: Park farther away at work, take the stairs, do squats or lunges during the commercials, take a walk at lunch, (you should be able to fit something in somewhere)

I can't exercise - EVERYONE can exercise. Even if you have medical problems, there is something that you can do. It may not be much (walking to the mailbox and back to start, 10 arms curls a day with half filled water bottles), but everyone can do a little something.

For me I don't even bother to make excuses. I hate to exercise plain and simple. If I didn't do it, its because I didn't want to. Let's just be honest about it! :tongue:

Jillian Michaels says "just take the stairs" is a "false message of lethargy." :wink: Every time I take the stairs I run up them, unless it's too crowded. I used to avoid stairs at all costs, but now I enjoy running up them!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    1. I hurt my knee (legit excuse)
    2. I hurt my hip (legit excuse)
    3. I hurt my back (legit excuse)
    4. I'm too tired (I work 64 hours a week so I think it's legit but others disagree)
    5. Headache (legit excuse - I think anyway)
    6. I started working out and ended up puking (legit excuse)
    7. I twisted my ankle (legit excuse)

:P Those are all my excuses!

Edited to Add the ankle, forgot about that injury.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My biggest excuse is the kids. Like last week..every intention of going running..but got home..daughter dropped a bomshell saying the school has not given her "track" for graduation..meaning they arent sure if she will graduate. We sat down..and spent an hour going over the classes she took and what she needs.

This is very different...but my children will always come first..but mind you ..I did work out the day before and the day after. I get one rest day a week.

I do wish I could get up in the AM..but doc is still working on my thyroid..so still a bit tired in the morning...
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sigh, time. Realistically lack of motivation as well. I've come to the point where I'm honest with myself about it- gotta make time, and just freakin go, with the understanding that I am always glad I worked out.

The time excuse is half way valid- I work full time and attend school full time, plus I'm a single parent, plus I'm in love with a man who I will NOT lose for lack of giving time and attention to him... making time for exercise is not easy!

I like the comment on here that said "I hate working out, but do I hate it more than being fat?" I may replace the words "being fat" with "risking my health" and post it on the fridge...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My typical excuse tends to be with time. For a while, trying to catch up on sleep combined with my commute and work, left me with very little time. Now that I am caught up, I naturally wake up perfectly in time for the gym! Yay me.

Another excuse I use has been simply being too sore. I prefer full body work outs, so if I overdo it (like I did yesterday) I do not think it reasonable to go to the gym (tomorrow for example) if by then I am still waddling around like a little old man. Definitely should have eased my way back into the gym! If not Friday, then I am going Monday (starting Strong Lifts 5X5... read the whole thing this time! lol).

Apart from me the most often excuses I see are...

1. Not enough time - This one has varying levels of validity and deals more with time management than simple time. It is also a case of priorities, where many will go ahead and place driving little Timmy to Soccer practice above getting their own exercise.

2. Money - Valid. Gyms cause money. Home weights cost money. There are exercises you can do at home for strength, but they can only go so far. Cardio though, is free and BETTER outside of the gym.

3. I HATE cardio - do strength training.

4. I HATE lifting weights - do cardio.

5. I HATE lifting weights and cardio - Do you hate them more than being fat? :P

There are tons of excuses, but I tend to prefer to look at the reasoning behind it. I will NEVER EVER place exercise over personal health and safety.

I just gotta say I enjoy your posts.

Money is *NOT* a valid excuse. I'm broke as a joke and started off doing calisthenics and jogging in place because I didn't know what else to do. You are your own gym! There's no need to buy fancy equipment to get in shape.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My 2 biggest excuses: 1) Time and 2) I'm beyond tired ALL the time. I really just need to suck it up. I'll never have time and I'll always be tired. Those two things will probably never change.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I don't have time.... that seems to be the one I heare the most. Of course, it is also the one I used for a LONG time. But when I decided it was time for a change, I MADE the time. It's all about how bad you want it.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    PMT and Hangover!