Hip Bursitis anyone?

Options
Anybody have any experience with this lovely pain in the *kitten*.... & hips? :grumble: :bigsmile: :sad:

My hips are hurting pretty good & from what I'm reading, it may take up to 6 weeks to heal?!
Ice & rest are recommended for healing....... then start slowly back into stretching & exercise.

I'm really missing my aerobic classes..... No Can Do for awhile. :noway: :cry: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
I realized too late that my workout shoes needed replacing.....
that and a few other things apparently got this going.

Replies

• porterbaby38
    porterbaby38 Posts: 1,401
    Options
    yes i've had it for along time and it hurts like crazy, but i still workout, everyday.
  • iamalexa
    Options
    I have had it in both hips during basketball seasons, I took about a month rest and iced it as much as possible.My doctor said it came from the floors and also that I have weak ankle did not help..? I would recommend taking it slow becasue it comes back easily, at least mine did. Also if you are eager to get back to the gym and simply cannot wait, try using icy hot or some sort of pain reliver while working out so it is a little less painful.

Good Luck! I hope it gets better soon!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis in all of my joints and have had it for 15 years. That is one of my "excuses" as to why I gained so much weight! Most of my joints are fused so I have limited mobility in them. Unfortunately, rest and ice is your best bet. Also, have you tried any OTC anti-inflammatories such as Aleve or ibuprofen? Don't take them together though, as they can damage your liver. You could also see your physician for prescription anti-inflammatories such as sulfasalazine, Imuran, Mobic, or nabumentone. Those are safe to take with acetaminophen aka Tylenol.

Not sure if you are a water person, but water aerobics is a great way to get your heart rate up while being easy on your hips. You don't have to do all of the jumping around, but pushing and pulling against the water will help stretch your joints gently.
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    Are you getting a variety of different kinds of exercise? I found that when I was only doing the elliptical my left hip hurt really bad. Then I started adding in things like weight training, step aerobics, etc and started feeling better. Try to avoid doing the same thing too many days in a row...just a thought :).
  • iamalexa
    Options
    I can relate. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis in all of my joints and have had it for 15 years. That is one of my "excuses" as to why I gained so much weight! Most of my joints are fused so I have limited mobility in them. Unfortunately, rest and ice is your best bet. Also, have you tried any OTC anti-inflammatories such as Aleve or ibuprofen? Don't take them together though, as they can damage your liver. You could also see your physician for prescription anti-inflammatories such as sulfasalazine, Imuran, Mobic, or nabumentone. Those are safe to take with acetaminophen aka Tylenol.

Not sure if you are a water person, but water aerobics is a great way to get your heart rate up while being easy on your hips. You don't have to do all of the jumping around, but pushing and pulling against the water will help stretch your joints gently.

Oh yes major part I forgot....Alive works wonders I was actually told to take this verses a perscription anti-inflammatories. Would deff reccommend it!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • lkuhbander
    lkuhbander Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting some outpatient PT to help with the acute management of bursitis? The PT's would have access to some modalities to help provide relief and can also look at your muscles to see where you may be out of balance. HTH.