Life before weight loss/calorie obsession

Options
13»

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It's quite easy for it to feel like an obsession and a couple of times in the last year and half I did feel like it was getting me down a bit. Giving youself the odd day or meal off is quite good therapy so long as you get straight back on the wagon afterwards.

But either we forget everything MFP teaches us and go back to old habits and size or we continue to be mindful of what we're doing to control our diet and stay at a weight that we're more comfortable is.

I no longer log my food or exercise in a diary but am constantly mindful of what I put in my mouth.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It was one of my close workmate's birthday... and I picked up a mudcake from a nice cake shop for her birthday the night before....

which I quickly took home, weighed, worked out how many portions I would cut it into, worked out the calories per portion then put it into the snacks section of my food diary...then worked out my daily meals for the next day around that portion...

nah...I'm not obsessed at alllllll...
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been called obsessed more than once, although on every occasion it's been from haters. Not gonna lie. DON'T PROJECT YOUR ISSUES ONTO ME RAAAAR RAGE.

Anyway, I digress. I was obsessed before I lost weight - with being fat, with how unhappy that made me feel, with how people would have perceived me, with how men wouldn't give me a second look, how those around me were so much more attractive, with how much my thighs hurt from chubrub (which has been replaced by "snackcident" as my favourite slang, thanks OP!), how I was going to die early, how I wasn't prepared to do anything to stop it.

THAT! That right there. That's what every single day was like before I started this. Still living with it (haven't dropped enough to show up anywhere but the scale) but I know it's gonna be gone soon.

It's a bit consuming, but a better feeling than being consumed by how ugly you feel, how ugly other people make you feel, too.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Two sides of the same coin.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always obsess about things I am interested in, so this is no new phenomena to me.

As long as I don't feel bad about food or my body, all is fine for me. I do have an eye on it though. I can have an occasional treat and not freak out, so that's fine. And yes, I try to find out how much calories it is and log it, but I don't mind that.

I am even more obsessed with my workouts. If I can't workout for two days in a row I get cranky. So far that has not been a problem either. My friends think I am a bit crazy and they make jokes sometimes, but all in all they accept it and support me, even if it means going to the gym with me on a Saturday morning. And I prefer to be obsessed with sports than anything else.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Um. My doctor sent me here to gain, but instead I became obsessed with calories and stuff and that hasn't been fun. But anyways. The best way to do it is to just create a healthy habit, and then stop logging. Just resolve not to log, but don't let yourself eat more than you already do. If you're obsessed now, then you doubtlessly know how many cals are in some of the staple foods you consume; you have a grasp of how much you're putting into your system when you grab that super creamy milkshake or other special desert. So know that but don't live by it. Just be cautious.

And what I've also found works really well is that you monitor the way you look. Not too closely. But I'd often just notice how much I had around my stomach. Make sure you never go up a size in your clothes. If you find yourself pushing a bit or notice a change, it's time to eat a bit less.

There's no reason to become completely dependant on MFP. It's just a tool. It's addicting and creates a rather miserable fear, but it's just a tool after all. The good thing is it creates awareness. Try to focus on that. Keep the good habits, never revert to the old!

But the most important thing in getting over calorie obsessions is actually wanting to. See, I don't really quite yet. I really *need* to, but it's hard for me. I'm an awful example, please don't be like me, it's miserable. Take your motivation and run!!

Goodness. I do sound a bit like an addict, don't I.
    I need to stop. *facedesks*

I agree - great post and outlook!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If I don't think about calories and food then I fall off the wagon, although I prefer to think of it as ' plan to fail if I fail to plan' rather than obsessing
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When i turn it off i turn into a food hog and i got a week non stop eating :( its awful.

That's me lol!