Low Carb vs Low Fat?

Options
So I have been doing a low carb/high protein diet and have gotten some pretty awesome results from it. Recently, I've had a lot of people mention that low fat is "healthier" due to the amount of fats in many meats... Thoughts?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Question... If what you are doing is working, why do you want to change it?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out right! Do what works for you ... but I'm going to keep an eye on this post it's gonna get crazy
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I guess I am impatient and want faster results.. even though that wouldn't be healthy because I'm already losing what's recommended.. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm a nerd and need to stop being impatient.. haha but I am just curious. Also, I love love love fruits, but they tend to be high in carbs..
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out right! Do what works for you ... but I'm going to keep an eye on this post it's gonna get crazy

Sorry, it is not as simple as calories in, calories out. If it were, I would have never gained weight in the first place.

OP: unless you are eating a lot of canola oil and other vegetable / seed oils the fat is not unhealthy.

Saturated and Monosaturated fats are natural occurring and do NOT contribute to heart disease or high cholesterol. The whole low fat myth was an outright lie and the data was cherry picked to support their theory to lead up to what we see today. Major health issues and obesity. This didn't happen on accident with our society.
  • jeninabilan
    Options

Sorry, it is not as simple as calories in, calories out. If it were, I would have never gained weight in the first place.

OP: unless you are eating a lot of canola oil and other vegetable / seed oils the fat is not unhealthy.

Saturated and Monosaturated fats are natural occurring and do NOT contribute to heart disease or high cholesterol. The whole low fat myth was an outright lie and the data was cherry picked to support their theory to lead up to what we see today. Major health issues and obesity. This didn't happen on accident with our society.

Very helpful!!! Thanks :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of 'low' anything or restrictive diets. I'd rather eat foods I like in moderation, throw in some fruits and veggies, make sure I'm getting enough protein and exercise. Simple and sustainable for me.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing a low carb/high protein diet and have gotten some pretty awesome results from it. Recently, I've had a lot of people mention that low fat is "healthier" due to the amount of fats in many meats... Thoughts?

Yup, been there and done that. Diets like those are not sustainable and I found they hurt me in the long run, delayed my success.

These were the diets I tried and failed and did the diet yo-yo with for 15 years:

Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician

I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point.

Eat what you want, eat what you like, mostly healthy. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love unless there is a serious health risk. Depriving yourself of food you love and creating extensive good food and bad food lists at some point borders on a mental disorder. It will drive you insane.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    fat is an essential nutrient
    carbohydrate is not
    people lose weight an all sorts of diets, just by eating less calories.
    take that fwiw
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

Seriously couldn't have said it better myself. :bigsmile:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of 'low' anything or restrictive diets. I'd rather eat foods I like in moderation, throw in some fruits and veggies, make sure I'm getting enough protein and exercise. Simple and sustainable for me.

I am the same
  • jeninabilan
    Options

Unfortunately, this just does not work for me.. It's the reason I've stayed the same weight FOREVER... I wish it worked for me! lol Maybe it's because I still have a large amount left to lose..
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hmm..why must you do either? How about a Nice 40/40/20 split..or 40/30/30?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I am the same

Ditto!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So the laws of thermodynamics do not apply to you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am the same

Ditto!

I ditto the ditto!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I guess I am impatient and want faster results.. even though that wouldn't be healthy because I'm already losing what's recommended.. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm a nerd and need to stop being impatient.. haha but I am just curious. Also, I love love love fruits, but they tend to be high in carbs..

Just a thought for you OP... the quicker it comes off, the quicker it comes back on when you start eating "normally" again. A small deficit, without really restricting much of anything, would be best. It will get you there slower, but it will be sustainable and the results will stick. Patience is so important in this journey.

And start strength training too!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Just a thought for you OP... the quicker it comes off, the quicker it comes back on when you start eating "normally" again. A small deficit, without really restricting much of anything, would be best. It will get you there slower, but it will be sustainable and the results will stick. Patience is so important in this journey.

YES!!!!!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

Again...this doesn't work for all of us. A "cookie cutter" approach isn't always going to work for everyone.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Again...this doesn't work for all of us. A "cookie cutter" approach isn't always going to work for everyone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/715411-you-are-not-different?hl=special+snowflake

you are not different.
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    the MFP app has changed the way I look at food and what goes into my mouth (stomach).

It is SOO easy to pack your pie hole with crappy food to make up your daily calories, but much more thought and awareness goes into eating what you need to eat with healthy food.

mk