Amputee on a mission.

Options
So I need motivation. I am a bilateral bellow knee amputee (iraq 2005). I am a former Marine Staff Sergeant, who knows how to get into peoples butt for not moving fast enough, but when it comes to myself, I am slacking. When I went through Rehab for my amputation, I was so Motivated to do ore there was nothing that was gong to stop me. I would walk as far as I could, I would Mountain bike in the hills 3x a week.
Now. I am a dad with a 2yo son. He is a big reason for me to stay in shape and not get lazy. He can wear me out mentally more than physically, but either way I am worn out. Again I need a self motivator to get back in shape.
My goal is to get back to running. I want to be able to do a 5k under 30 minutes. In the Marine Corps you do a 3 mile run for your physical fitness test every year. I hated running, but when you have a really hard time doing something or wanting some that seems so hard to have you want it more. I have run a few times on my running legs, but need more practice, and maybe a better fit. Just like running shoes the need to fit right.
So any words of encouragement are appreciated. Good luck to us all.

Replies

• kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have the utmost respect for you and what you are doing. It makes me feel guilty for whining about the small stuff. For encouragement, I would watch or do the P90X Plyo video, the guy in there in an amputee also. He is such an encouragement to me. Good luck in everything you do. And Thank you for your service.:flowerforyou:
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Rock. Freaking. Star.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    I need to motivate this head cold out. Thanks for your support.
  • welshwoofer
    welshwoofer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are a superstar!
    I'm sure your boy is sooo proud of you!
    Good luck with the running . xxx
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    I Need to get better this week. Better choices, better on working out again, Better everything.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I lived in DC for a long time and there were plenty of amputees around, at the gym, etc. Any way you could get hooked into a support network for motivation? This guy I knew was a quadruple amputee and I used to see him swimming backstroke at the pool at our gym! Good for you for looking for something to get back into.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I would live to be your friend, feel free to add me. Rock on brother!
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Bump
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Idaho Amputee
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Running in the cold sucks.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    :tongue:
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    So, still slow go on getting back on track. I got to get in the pool again for major laps.

Good Luck everyone.:happy:
  • Louder4
    Louder4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Clearly my foot surgeries are nothing compared to how tough and brave you are! You Rock!!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt you will get there and achieve your goals.
    Start slow and build up, and you will soon be running your 3 miles again.
  • ladywendolyn
    ladywendolyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You said you have a two year old son... Can you put him in a jogging buggy and take him on some of your runs?
    He is the biggest motivation you will find...
    And although I am a Canadian I still want to thank you for giving part of your life and your body for your country...
    Honour to you!
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You rock sir! I'm sure you'll be able to achieve whatever goal you set out for yourself. I'd wish you good luck but I don't think you need it. :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Much respect!
  • billr42
    billr42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get back to running. ... I hated running, but when you have a really hard time doing something or wanting some that seems so hard to have you want it more.

I have always hated running, and that's what drives me to do it. If I can manage to run then a lot of other things feel easier.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Now no matter what I do for the rest of my life I can never be as bad@$$ as you are!

I don't usually have good words to motivate people but feel free to add me if you like.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    you are amazing sir, truly.