Sports

Options
Is anyone is trying to get fitter to succeed in the sport they play and if yes tell me the workouts you are doing specifically to get better at that sport. Im trying to get fitter for rugby and track and field.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i used to play rugby but i'm much too old for that now :laugh:

i'm getting in shape so i can start competing in powerlifting and eventually i want to do sprint distance triathlons

my main workouts are weight lifting with heavy weight, olympic lifting with light weights until i get used to doing the movements again, working on my endurance via cardio
  • sexybeast1998
    sexybeast1998 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i used to play rugby but i'm much too old for that now :laugh:

i'm getting in shape so i can start competing in powerlifting and eventually i want to do sprint distance triathlons

my main workouts are weight lifting with heavy weight, olympic lifting with light weights until i get used to doing the movements again, working on my endurance via cardio
    thats great i do HIIT cardio, plyometrics, lots of body weight exercises, resistance training and interval training
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! I play Australian rules football, I'm female just in case you were wondering. This is my motivation to get fitter. It's the off season for us and I have about 5 months until the next season starts so I guess I'm persuing more general fitness goals at the moment but still with football in the back of my mind. I'm not sure what your knowledge of Aussie Rules is like but it's a fairly fast-paced game that involves a comination of speed, endurence, strength and skill. I play in the midfield and need to be in tip top condition to run out a game.

At the moment I'm lifting heavy 3-4 times a week. Focusing on strength at the moment but considering putting in some work to focus on explosive power in a couple months. This lifting thing is fairly new to me and my body is still adjusting. Hopefully this will help with my tackling, bumps and bodystrength generally.

For cardio I do a mixture of HIIT, sprint work, steady state cardio (usually not too long 5-8km) and boxing. I'm also playing Gaelic football in the off season because it's fun and not as serious but keeps me kicking a ball, albeit round not oval. I find that this has been a good comination for me to get into peak shape in the past and should hopefully see me at my peak to start the season. Mixing it up is the best thing and I'm a massive fan of HIIT and sprint workout for sports fitness.

I also try to get out and do some work on my skills from time to time, and will do more so as the season gets closer.

What position do you play in rugby? This will probably affect the training you want to do. Backs - need more cardio fitness than forwards. Either way I'd say a solid weights routine would be beneficial. If you also do track and field I'm guessing you're a back.
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    hook and sometimes winger
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is a good start: http://www.rugby.org/articles/rugtrain.htm
    Just Google 'Rugby fitness training' to find more. (That article above is a bit old.)
    My son went to a summer rugby camp at Cal Berkeley last year, and he said they did not put a high premium on excessive weight training, which kinda surprised me. He said they told him rugby players should do squats, and they should bench press, and it doesn't hurt to maybe do some other weight training exercises. But, really, if a rugby player wants to work out, it is just as well to go for a long jog and to run sprints. Then, do some push-ups and chin-ups.
    My son's high school coach loves to have the team run stairs; they go over to the local stadium.
    Good luck.
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    This is a good start: http://www.rugby.org/articles/rugtrain.htm
    Just Google 'Rugby fitness training' to find more. (That article above is a bit old.)
    My son went to a summer rugby camp at Cal Berkeley last year, and he said they did not put a high premium on excessive weight training, which kinda surprised me. He said they told him rugby players should do squats, and they should bench press, and it doesn't hurt to maybe do some other weight training exercises. But, really, if a rugby player wants to work out, it is just as well to go for a long jog and to run sprints. Then, do some push-ups and chin-ups.
    My son's high school coach loves to have the team run stairs; they go over to the local stadium.
    Good luck.
    thanks for the advice and body weight exercises are the best
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get better at powerlifting, I do squats bench, deadlift.
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    u takin any roids?
  • Plates559
    Options
    I wish, it would be so much easier!
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    but dont do roids. Stay clean the disadvantages outweigh the benefits if u know what im sayin
  • Plates559
    Options
    Does food count as roids?

If so then yes :drinker:
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    creatine helps with strength gains
  • Plates559
    Options
    In your opinion, sure.
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    u dont take it or u tried it and it didnt work?
  • brennsie
    Options
    I do track, indoor starts on the 26th!!
    To get in shape I am running everyday (mixing it up though, long runs, fartleks, tempo runs, recovery days/easy run, repeat 800s, ect). Then for post run conditioning I'll do abs (planks, crunches, bicycles) and legs (boxes, plyometrics).
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    what events do u do?
  • brennsie
    Options
    during indoor i do 600, 1000, or mile and outdoor i do 800, mile, and the occasional 4x4 :)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am getting fitter to be a better runner.. but that's not my main motivation.... the workouts I do to improve my running (and my fitness) include running, running, running and more running.

I would like to eventually start playing ice hockey.
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    during indoor i do 600, 1000, or mile and outdoor i do 800, mile, and the occasional 4x4 :)
    im more of a sprinter
  • sexybeast1998
    Options
    I am getting fitter to be a better runner.. but that's not my main motivation.... the workouts I do to improve my running (and my fitness) include running, running, running and more running.

I would like to eventually start playing ice hockey.
    thats an awesome sport takes good hand to eye coordination