This might sound like a dumb question but..

Options
2»

Replies

• topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/benefits-of-drinking-water-daily.html

10 Benefits of Drinking Water Daily

1.Provides energy. Water is the main source of energy in the body, primarily because it generates electrical and magnetic energy within every cell. In fact, without water, nothing lives. Drinking water regularly and throughout the day can significantly reduce fatigue.

2.Aids in digestion and nutrient absorption. Water is the main solvent in the body. It is necessary for breaking down food into smaller particles for digestion, assimilation and metabolism. In fact, water energizes the food and increases the rate of nutrient absorption. Water is also the solvent for the materials that dissolve in the blood and other fluids in the body.

3.Transports substances and aids detoxification. Water is the main vehicle for the transport of substances throughout the body, including the circulation of blood, the digestion of food, and the elimination of toxins through the liver, kidneys, bladder, bowels, skin and lungs—just to name a few of the organs. Water brings oxygen, the most essential nutrient, to the cells and takes toxins and metabolic waste away.

4.Enhances immunity and disease prevention. Water improves the health of the colon, the blood and the bone marrow, which are critical to the efficiency of the immune system. Improved immunity is one of the most noticeable benefits of drinking water daily. In my experience, people who stay hydrated experience fewer colds and flu. But more importantly, experts agree adequate hydration can help prevent premature aging and disease.

5.Lubricates joints. Water is the main lubricant in the joints and spine. Drinking enough water daily can help remove the accumulation of acid waste in the joints, such as uric acid, which can cause inflammation and pain. Water also provides the necessary cushioning in the spinal discs. Keeping the body well hydrated on a daily basis can help prevent back pain and joint pain, including various forms of arthritis.

6.Water and brain function. The human brain is about 85 percent water. Water gives the brain the electrical energy for all brain functions, including thought and memory processes. It is also needed for the production of the neurotransmitters and hormones produced by the brain. Daily hydration will not only help with better thinking, it can help prevent attention deficit disorder in children and adults. Dehydration is also a known factor in dementia and may help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Lou Gehrig’s disease.

7.Improves circulation and heart health. The blood is approximately 85 to 95 percent water—or at least it should be. When a person is chronically dehydrated, the blood gets thick and sticky, making it more prone to blood clots and poor circulation. Water also helps remove toxins and fatty deposits from the arteries, which reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

8.Keeps skin and eyes healthy. Human skin cells need water constantly to perform its vital functions. Having soft, smooth skin and looking younger is one of the most visible benefits of drinking water daily. Water is also the main lubricant for the eyes and proper hydration can help prevent glaucoma and other eye diseases.

9.Helps normalize hormones. Water regulates the production of all hormones in the body. Keeping the body hydrated can help prevent many of the uncomfortable hormonal imbalances many women experience before, during and after menstruation, pregnancy and menopause. Water also helps both men and women prevent impotence and the loss of libido.

10.Improves sleep and reduces stress. Drinking enough water daily can help improve sleep patterns and provide numerous mood enhancing benefits. Even slight dehydration can affect our nerves and emotions in subtle ways. For example, I’ve noticed through careful self-observation that one of my first signs of slight dehydration is irritability. Research has proven that drinking water can help reduce stress in the body, as well as feelings of anxiety and depression.
  • aprilakajoy
    aprilakajoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I feel much better the more I drink! I drink more than I actually eat! LOL
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    how good is water actually for you?

I know we should aim to drink 8 glasses a day but I know people that drink around 2-3 litres per day!

Does drinking a lot of water really make a difference health wise? I barely reach the minimum 8 glasses !!

It might sound like a dumb question, but it isn't. I myself am brand new to exercising and counting calories, and buying certain "diet" stuff, ie, fat free Italian dressing, Diet Lipton green tea.

From what I've been told, the more water you drink the faster you metabolise, so you burn more calories faster, and heavy amounts of water help clean the "crap" out of you. I drink about a gallon of water Mon-Fri. I have been counting calories and exercising too, but I think it's all helping hand in hand. I don't exercise "hard", just light weight lifting, and just a few reps. I do ride a bike around, and at the gym. And I do stay under my calorie count, most of the time. It all adds up to 11 lbs lost in 25 days, something I've never came close to doing!

I loved the question, even if I don't have the best answer, thanks for asking. Maybe I can ask a beginner question now.....

What are "good" carb calories?

Anyone please...............................
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As to water, I started drinking more becausewhen I started donating blood every 2 months. My blood used to go so slowly it was in danger of not getting enough for a viable donation in the alloted time. I always drank a lot at restaurants, so I finally figured out that I like it very cold with lots of ice. I bought an insulated 24-oz Tupperware tumbler, fill it up with water and ice, and it stays cold for the 2 or 3 hours it sometimes takes to drink it.

As for "good" carbs, my nutritionist (I'm a controlled diabetic) told me not to count vegetables when I was tracking my calories and carbs. Veggies are all carbs & water, but so low on carbs that they don't affect your diet negatively. And the fiber is great for you. It's the sauces, butter, and fixings you put on your veggies - or the salt in canned ones - that can ruin your diet! I ate a lot of raw zucchini from my garden this summer - it really helped curb my desire for sweets.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink ANY water as is. It's in whatever I drink, but I am not a fan of drinking it straight up...unless it's ice cold and drunk on a very hot day after doing something strenuous that makes me sweat..

I know, I'm weird. :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Not really. I generally can't stand it unless I'm hot. If I'm cold, it's not something I can stand to drink. I am getting about 4 cups a day in now, which is better than what I used to do, but just sipping it through the day, I can't.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It actually affect a lot of different things in your body. Do a little research on the subject, you'll find out some surprising things. It helps keep the skin healthy and aids with digestion, as well.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is no minimum of 8 glasses, and it doesn't have to be plain water. It doesn't even have to be liquid, if you do it right you could technically get all the water you need from food, though you'd probably get bored of that very quickly.

Drink when you're thirsty, drink whatever you like (just make sure you log the calories you drink, if you're logging food) and if you want to make sure you're drinking enough, check the colour of your urine.

The amount you need to drink will depend on your height, weight, body composition, activity level and the types and quantities of foods that you eat. When you consider all of those factors, can you really still believe that there is one amount of water that everyone should drink?
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    First, 8 glasses is about 2 liters.

Second, the 8 glass recommendation has been debunked ( http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day ).

Third, a lot of people (myself included) snack when they are actually thirsty and eat well past the point that their appetites are sated. Drinking water likely slows down eating, so the signal "stomach full" may have a chance to get through on a more timely basis.

Fourth, drinking water is a lot cheaper and healthier than drinking many other things. It's naturally sugar free, keeps the skin healthy, gives the intestines and kidneys something to work with, and won't hurt you unless you try to chug a gallon or so in, say, under an hour.
    I drank 2 gallons in a few hrs once and I'm sure I've drank one gallon in an hr in the past. Lol. I'm okay still. I love water!
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    As to water, I started drinking more becausewhen I started donating blood every 2 months. My blood used to go so slowly it was in danger of not getting enough for a viable donation in the alloted time. I always drank a lot at restaurants, so I finally figured out that I like it very cold with lots of ice. I bought an insulated 24-oz Tupperware tumbler, fill it up with water and ice, and it stays cold for the 2 or 3 hours it sometimes takes to drink it.

As for "good" carbs, my nutritionist (I'm a controlled diabetic) told me not to count vegetables when I was tracking my calories and carbs. Veggies are all carbs & water, but so low on carbs that they don't affect your diet negatively. And the fiber is great for you. It's the sauces, butter, and fixings you put on your veggies - or the salt in canned ones - that can ruin your diet! I ate a lot of raw zucchini from my garden this summer - it really helped curb my desire for sweets.

Thanks for the reply! :)