What to do about sugars?

I've noticed that on a day to day basis I have no real problem coming in at my calorie goal, and I rarely exceed the goals listed for fat, carbs, protein, or sodium.

However, on a pretty regular basis I blow the sugar daily goal. I don't generally eat a lot of sweets, only on an occasional basis. This seems to happen from just eating regular healthy foods. I am finding it nearly impossible to stay within the set target for sugar. Today, for instance, I more than doubled it through the flavored creamer I put in one cup of coffee (3 T - I don't like the sugar-free kind and this is my one guilty treat that I use about once a week, the rest of the time unsweetened almond milk), a nonfat yogurt, a banana, carrots and snap peas, and applesauce. I accidentally bought the kind of applesauce that does have added sugar, but even without that it would have been way over.

So, I guess my question is ... is this happening to anyone else? Have you had any success bringing it down? If I'm staying within target on everything else, am losing weight pretty consistently, and am otherwise healthy/have no relevant medical conditions, maybe I don't need to worry about this so hard?

Thanks!

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    If you don't have any health related issues to sugar just eat it and enjoy.
  • PursuingPerfect
    PursuingPerfect Posts: 16 Member
    I am having the same issue, although I am trying to maintain rather than lose. I was actually going to post this question but saw you already had:P I also don't have any health issues with sugar but ALL the woman on my moms side end up with diabetes later in life (my grandmother recently passed due to complications) and I am determined to be the first to remain diabetes free. I am having a difficult time though because I don't eat sweets and generally don't drink soda, my sugar comes from yogurt mostly!!
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    I frequently go over on my sugars too. I think for me it's mostly about fruit. Also, I now choose a bit more wisely with my breakfast cereal as a lot of them are full of sugar. I frequently go over by a lot on vitamin A and C, which is why I think it's fruit.

As I tend to have fruit for a snack most days, I have just accepted that it puts my sugar over but the nutritional benefits of the fruit are hopefully worth it!
  • NoisyAstronomer
    NoisyAstronomer Posts: 9 Member
    Same here! All the fructose in the fruit. And the fruit in the yogurt. And the lactose in the milk. And the lactose in the yogurt. All those sugars add up. I find that if I try to avoid the sugar I go to something salty or fatty... so really I just gave up worrying. But I also don't have any sugar-related illness in my family history.