The amazing shrinking nerdgirl!

Hi!

I'm not exactly new to the site, as I've been using it for a while now, but I am new to the 'community' area. When I first started using the site I wasn't quite ready to jump in and talk to other people except for the handful of folks I knew in real life.

Now that I'm comfortable here, and feeling pretty good about how I'm handling all of this, I thought I'd say hello.

I'm 36 and I've been heavy for quite a while. I was chubby as a teen but nothing to worry too much about. Over the years, though, I just kept growing. Despite the fact that I enjoy things like hiking and the outdoors, at heart I am a huge dork who loves reading, zombie and sci-fi movies, comic books, Magic: The Gathering, and other highly sedentary activities. Most of which also creates prime snacking opportunities. :) My highest weight was 232, though I managed to keep it in the neighborhood of 200 for quite a while.

After several years of attending the giant nerdgasm that is Dragon*Con (an annual sci-fi/fantasy/comics/everything convention) and seeing all of the gorgeous geek-girls in amazing costumes, I realized that I can still be a big ol' nerd and just be less of one.

So here I am. I'm down to 172 and feeling so much better. Enjoying more outdoors, getting sweatier, and determined to see this through. I feel like it's already become a part of who I am, so I think that's a good sign. Besides getting healthy and rocking a sexy costume next year at Dragon*Con, two things I'm striving for right now are: hiking as much of the Appalachian Trail as possible (hopefully I'll have time to do the whole thing in one go someday!) and getting back to regular running so I can run a 5K zombie marathon next September!!!

Looking forward to making new friends, nerds and non-nerds alike. :) Live long and prosper.

Replies