Knee pain

Options
10 years ago when I was 12 I got ran over by a car and I've had pains in my bones since, also my bones crack and ache.
I tried telling the doctor what checked me over back then but he didn't listen and just looked for a concussion :grumble:

Anyway now I'm exercising my knees (especially my left) are absolutely hurting me! Is this normal for starting out with regular exercise? I've been at it little over a month.
All I do is walk everywhere and do 30ds, aerobics, lunges, squats etc.
Do you think its worth bothering the doctors with or could it be I'm doing exercises such as squats and lunges wrong?

Replies

• GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i would go get them checked early on, before you do any real damage, they may well tell you to watch your form and your knees are fine but better to find out now.

I, unfortunately, did not do that and have lifted, run, biked for several years always encountering pain but just kind of toughed through it. About a year ago my knees got bad enough that i went to a physical therapist and they told me to stop jogging, so i did. but kept everything else at the same speed/intensity.

just the other day I blew my knee out - ouch. During the xrays the guy kept asking me which knee I was actually in for because they BOTH look so bad.

I'll be fine, but it sucks for now. Do yourself a favor and be a little over cautious this time
  • erinashley91
    Options
    Seeing as you have said you have had a major accident in the past then I think that it would be worth you going to the doctors and getting checked out for any underlying problems.

Also think about taking glucosamine tablets. They are good for your joints and help with arthritic pain. I used to get really bad aches in my knees and they would crack really bad, I couldn't crouch down and my knees would feel really hot and the skin would even go hot around them. I started taking glucosamine and it helped clear it right up. So now it is way easier for me to walk and even jog.

Maybe ask your doctor if it could help you by taking glucosamine if you find out there isn't any pre existing problems from your accident.

Good luck!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I agree that a doctor's visit is in order. I have osteoarthritis in my knee joints and since I have always done a lot of walking I was really suffering with it this past summer. I had an x-ray to confirm the diagnosis and then had a physiotherapist design an exercise program for me. I have had to replace some of my walking with cycling and I do a whole series of exercises designed to strengthen the muscles around my gimpy joint. I am feeling much better. I hope that soon you will be too.:smile:
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies :) I think I am going to have to pay a visit to the doctors! Also look into taking something to help my joints and/or pain