Intimidated in the weights side of the gym

Options

Replies

• emandlukeplusone
    emandlukeplusone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyo one for the advice! hopefully I can remember everything you said and be proud of myself for being there next time. I DID pay for that side of the gym too and I don't want to go shell out more money for my own weights. SO "that side" of the gym it is. I figure one of two things will happen. I'll bulk up and slim down and people will be scared of me and leave me alone OR they will get used to me being there and have to get over it. haha...
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The only way you will get comfortable is to keep going to the "dark side". Most of the people on the weight side are extremely helpful. If you aren't sure about something - ask them. Pretty soon you will be the bada$$ throwing the weights around.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day on "that" side of the gym. I was really nervous for some reason. I guess I just didn't want to embarrass myself. So I just went for it. I started w/ the dumbbells and just moved on from there to the squat rack and so on. I am using the jefit app on my phone, its nice because it will show you how to do each move and it sets up a routine for you, which you can also customize. Good luck to you! I think it will get easier the more you dive into it.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I had the exact same problem. What I wound up doing was having one of my friends go with me and we spotted each other. We each took ten rep turns on the weightlifting equipment until we each had 50 reps on each machine. Then we moved on to plank training and dumbbell exercises. There were guys in and out of the room the whole time, but we were okay because we had each other there for support.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    As a general rule, I'd avoid any fitness advice or routine that is sex specific.

Heavy for you can't be 10lbs (e.g. for squat or deadllift). One of the main mistakes I see people make is that they decide to use one weight for all exercises. There's no way your tiny tricep muscle is as strong as both of your legs for example.

Why don't you and your husband work out a routine you both like, and do it together. One rests while the other one lifts, then you swap the weights and person each time?

Luckily, in the sexist world we live in, if a woman is in a weights area of the gym with a man, anyone shallow/stupid enough to be judgemental, will assume you're being taught, and there is absolutely no pressure on you.

This!

When I first started weight training, I was intimidated too. You could count the number of women in the weight room with one hand! It really helped having my boyfriend show me the ropes and now I can work out alone in the weight room comfortably, when we're doing different routines. Of the few women I see in the weight room, most of them are training with their boyfriends or husbands, so its nothing out of the ordinary, if you and your husband are doing the same work outs.

Also, if you find the weight room too crowdy and people watching/waiting too close for a machine, you could try coming in at night or early morning. I like going late night for that reason. For some exercises, like squats, I need a longer rest period and I don't like having someone just hovering around waiting for the squat rack. lol
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I understand this totally! But don't be afraid. Get your butt in there. Lift hard (for you) and consistently.

The first couple of times will be scary, but as you get familiar with set-up and your routine you'll feel better.

Over a couple of weeks you'll notice the "regulars" and as you show up consistently and working hard you'll find you feel more accepted there. Also if you are scared, turn that focus inward. How is your form? How hard are you pushing? Consume yourself with those thoughts and you'll forget about the other people.

I also found LOUD music in my ears helped the first few weeks ;)
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym. I'm a runner, with plenty of miles under my belt and a few long races to my name, but I know I *should* be doing some resistance work to. So I bit the bullet and joined a gym... While I was spending money, I decided I might as well talk to personal trainer too. So I did the free "Fitness Evaluation" that every gym in the world offers to try to sell you PT time. I was thinking to go in and have some meat head show me how to do squats.

Instead I got an athletic looking guy (the district manager apparently, he was giving the main fitness manager a lunch break and took my appointment) whose build was exactly what I'd like to see on myself. He took me through bunch of "full body exercises" that made use of the weights, the dumbbells, and the cable lift, but all in ways I've never seen before. I loved it. My whole body is pleasantly sore today, and I'm a bit poorer, because they sold me on the PT sessions.

All this to say, if you've got a little cash in the bank and you're willing to spend it on fitness, at least talk to the PT people at your gym. Like any guy who spent any time in the military, I know the basics of resistance training, but what these guys are doing with me is both a lot more fun and seems like it will be perfect for the kind of results I want.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us women have been there. Here are a few tricks I used in order to feel comfortable.

1) met with a trainer twice in order to get familiar
    2) I will look up and write down exercises before I go in so I'm not lost or walking around
    3) get a workout buddy.

I highly recommend a trainer for a time or two to get over your fear.

Good luck and once you get in there few times it will get easier!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I felt intimidated at first but I decided to just put my brave face on and walk over like I owned it/knew what the hell I was doing. Or if I don't know how to do something or need help adjusting a bench I just put on my girl face and ask a man. Sometimes I need help and usually everyone is very nice and will help/offer help. Now when I workout I'm completely fine. When I started, "heavy" for me was like 30 lbs for lunges or 10 lbs for any type of arm work or I'd squat the bar (45 lbs). If by chest press you mean bench press (not sure?) and you can bench 45 lbs that's really good! Now that I've been lifting heavy for a while I squat 125 and bench 65 and overhead press 55 and deadlift 110 (for 5sets/5reps). Trying to keep improving! As long as you're working hard and doing what's hard for you then don't worry about what everyone else thinks! Most people are too focused on their own workout to care what you're doing anyways! DEFINITELY keep lifting and don't be embarrassed!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I like going over to the free weights section and lifting more than half the guys over there. :bigsmile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the weight side of the gym...but I hate it how some don't go there because they are afraid to go there. It makes me want to go over to the biggest set of dead weights and heave-ho at it on the floor with my **** face on to make them feel more confident.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My gym had some free training options. See if your gym does and get them to take you over there and show you how to use stuff. I know exactly what you mean though. I've been over there twice and I feel silly as some machine require no weight and are heavy enough for me.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    We don't bite all that hard over here! LMAO.

If you don't know ask, in our gym everyone is friendly, just real focused is all.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I think confidence and a plan are your best solutions. Watch videos online from reputable sites to learn good form and lifts you can do. I just completed New Rules of Lifting for Women. Its a great read and it has a full program that you can follow. I got great results and I am WAY stronger, and more confident in "that side" of the gym now. :wink:
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most folks at the gym don't even notice you. There's really no real "minimum" to not be sneered at because we're all at different points in our journeys :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I was intimidated too, it wasn't the weights it was all the young buff boys in there, I felt like not only was I the only woman in there, but also the only person over 30.

Last night was the first time that I went for a lift that I wasn't sure I could make. Up until now (5 or 6mths) I've only ever lifted weights that I knew I could lift, and saved the 1RM or PB's for the days I was with my trainer. I didn't make the lift, but I was proud of myself for trying. Even though I felt abit stupid taking one set of weights off the bar and putting on a smaller set. No one yelled at me or laughed. Huzzah!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You belong there as much as anyone else. Besides, most people are focussing on their own workout, and not looking at you, even though it doesn't feel that way.

Take a deep breath, and act like you own it. Then actually own it. You can do it! Lifting is fun!

This.
    I was lucky though. I had my 50 year old mother (that was what I considered old back then) showing me the way. She confided in me that she was intimidated but decided this. While with her I never saw anyone look at her the way I was worried people would look at me. More than that, the people on "that side" loved her. It's never been an issue since.

She was right - most people are so focused on what they are doing they don't notice you.

Go for it.
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That is one of the reasons i go to a womens only gym. I still feel intimidated but thats cause it's still new and I had no idea what I was doing. My gym had a special when you joined for a personal trainer for a session. So thats what I did.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    All the machines should have instructions on how to sit. Adjust them to your body and pick a starting weight. If you can't do 15 reps it's too hard. You want to do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

Free weights are better. I was so scared in the beginning. Finally I just ask some people and boy were they flattered and helpful that I even wanted advice from them. Now I have buddies there. Take the chance. It pays off.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I feel that way. There is only one woman who ventures over there on a regular basis and she wears a hot pink sports bra and hot pink pants. I think that may be my solution, because she is in amazing shape.