I HATE American sizes

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I've been 5'10" tall since I hit puberty at 12. I was a size 12 and very slender until I finished college when I went up to a 14 and a still thin 150 pounds. I have a big bust and hourglass figure.

In the last 30 years I very slowly gained 35 pounds - 15 in the last 10 years. I've taken 25 pounds of that off since May.

Here's why I am annoyed.

I was a size 14 the whole time I gained that weight. I have been wearing a 14 coming down off that weight loss, even though my clothes seemed to be hanging on me and I could easily slip my pants off my hips without unzipping them. I have refused to buy smaller clothes until I hit a stable goal weight. After reading a bunch of threads talking about people my height talking about their sizes, I gave in to curiousity and took a trip to Goodwill.

I easily slipped into size 10 pants. Size 12 pants fit fine, although they were a tiny bit lose.

I haven't fit into a 10 size I was in grade school! This isn't because I'm so thin now, it's because the people who make my clothes have been sizing them bigger and bigger, lulling me into a false sense of complaisance. And, of course, I lied to myself.

I am definitely not buying any more clothes until I finish losing.

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Sizes also vary based on brand as well. I can fit into a 16 in some jeans but others I need an 18 (and I don't buy those, lol!). It's all in the pattern. :)
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    http://risingfeenix.com/sizing
    http://www.vintageswank.com/sizing.html
    http://www.justsaywhen.com/Vintage-101-Sizing.htm

Shows how sizes have changed since you and I were young.

Keep in mid if you do shop at second hand and vintage stores, the era of the clothing will dictate the fit. Don't go by the labeled size, always try them on.
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I feel the same way
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I wore sizes 12-16W before baby depending on the cut and brand. I really wish women's clothing sizes were more standardized than they are.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    An article on vanity/faith based sizing. OMG I thought zero was the smallest, but there is a sub-zero size!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2006/10/17/faith-based-sizing.html
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've bought a size bigger than my current trousers, from the same shop, same brand, and not been able to get them on. Sometimes they change. I'm both a medium and an XL t-shirt in the same shop, same brand, depending on the design.

Just try stuff on.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am in a size 0 or 2, depending on the brand. This makes me LOL my head off because 15 years ago when I weighed the same as I do now, I was fitting into 6's and 8's.

It's also becoming harder to find clothes that fit (not that I'm complaining). If you walk into TJ Maxx, they only carry a very small selection of smalls and xsmall clothing, while you can find L and XL all day long...
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I don't get why this bothers so many people.. I could wear a size 27 and be happy as long as I look the way I want to look.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Insomniaaddict - I get what you're saying. It's just the fashion industry cateris to women's insecurities so they'll buy more clothes - it's pretty transparent, and somewhat annoying.
  • aunty_gaga
    aunty_gaga Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    An article on vanity/faith based sizing. OMG I thought zero was the smallest, but there is a sub-zero size!

should be called "bone size"
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You think you hate american sizes? Try Australian. I am a size 12 pants, and 10 top (AUS) and sometimes have to get size 16 tops and size 18 pants. Seriously don't stress about sizes. It varies, I usually find that when I buy designer, they are a better size. (true to size) Whereas Target and cheaper stores are crazy sizes.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    LOL at that article. And no, American women (and men) are definitely not getting any smaller. Go to the state fair some - it's a fat fest...
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Insomniaaddict - I get what you're saying. It's just the fashion industry cateris to women's insecurities so they'll buy more clothes - it's pretty transparent, and somewhat annoying.

No kidding. I'm only annoyed at the fact that I have to try on 8,000 pairs of jeans in a billion different sizes and every pair fits me differently because of vanity sizing. Extremely annoying.. only YOU know the size of your jeans so who cares what it is?
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill and find out what day they get their shipments. Go in the day before that. At the Goodwill I go to everything is half off the day before their shipments. I got a pair of Michael Kors jeans and a pair of Gap jeans for $7.42 (including tax). I won't buy new clothes until I'm at my goal and steady but I was getting close to embarrassing myself with my old jeans. Goodwill is a good way to fill in the gap between the size I was then and the size I'm going to be.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Goodwill is an awesome way to go - I ransacked that place while I went from a size 16 to whatever the hell I am now.
  • LindaLou252
    Options
    Sizes also vary based on brand as well. I can fit into a 16 in some jeans but others I need an 18 (and I don't buy those, lol!). It's all in the pattern. :)

^^This^^ I wear a size 16 in Old Navy and Gap, but... muffin top isn't the word when I try on a pair of size 16 q-baby wranglers! Ha! I can't wait to get into some of the new women's low rise Wranglers. They're so cute and the largest size is a 14... That will be the best NSV ever! :D
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't get why this bothers so many people.. I could wear a size 27 and be happy as long as I look the way I want to look.

Agree!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The sizes in my closet that fit me are:
    3-9
    25-29

The size 5's are the loosest. The size 9s are the tightest. Go figure.

Why can't they just be sensible and make everything by a unit of measurement so I know if my hips or waist are size x then i take size x...Good lord...it's hard enough trying to figure it out since there's a 12 inch difference between those 2 measurements :P
  • tanias001
    tanias001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wow i love the US sizings lol. never in my life have i fitted into a size 6 and that's where i am headed now in the US sizes.lol.
    Aussie sizes i am in a size 8-10 so a 6 sounds much better hehe.
    I know it's mind over matter but it feels so good.
  • malystrasza
    Options

should be called "bone size"

:noway: You aware that petite women can wear this size?