NEW AS OF THREE DAYS AGO

Options
This looks like a great supportive community. Glad to be on MFP. It has gotten me completely focused in three days and I have already lost 3pounds!! BONUS..
I have 3 Questions..

I workout 45-60 minutes 5-6 times a week doing weights focusing on a different body part each day and then do 30-60 minute cardio..

The program suggested I eat only 1200 calories a day..
I push myself quite hard each time I workout . Today ( my easy cardio only day) I burned 500 caories in 54 minutes..

#1-Do I add 500 plus 1200 and eat 1700 calories?
#2- how important is it to eat 1700 calories?
today I am off still by 105 calories.. Is that too many?
#3 When I input my exercise I have had between 600 and 800 extra calories to burn each day
How accurate are the charts with regards to exercise?

Thanks for any advice you can share

tova

Replies

• augustbells
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I joined last month and I love it here.
    As to your questions...Yes you are supposed to eat your exercise calories (although a lot of the time I don't). You are supposed to eat them so that you don't lose the weight too fast and to refuel your body after burning off calories. And the charts for exercise on here are NOT accurate. I would suggest a HRM or other device (I use Nike+).

Hope this helps.
  • saram21
    saram21 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi! I hope you have a great time with us on MFP! When you exercise you will notice that your calorie allowance will go up. I dont know if you are supposed to eat them up though. It wouldn't hurt if you did, but it might make you lose weight a little faster than you need too if you dont. You should really only be aiming to lose 1 - 1.5lbs a week. I rarely eat up my extra calories because I stop when I am full and I feel like a pig if I dont. I dont know how accurate the exercise charts will be for you, but mine are pretty accurate. If you feel like it is wrong you should get a heart rate monitor.
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    If your suggested goal is 1200kcal/d, then you definitely should be eating away all your exercise. You won't be losing (fat) weight any faster if you don't - quite the opposite. Also, MFP calculates the entered exercise towards your daily allowance, so if you have "100 Calories remaining", you have (almost) eaten your exercise.
  • ttova
    ttova Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks everyone..
    I am definitely going to get a Heart rate monitor..are there good ones you suggest?
    should I be concerned that I have lost 4 pounds in 5 days?
    I hate the idea of slowing down