Healthy Eating for Two

Options
I went to see the doctor yesterday only to discover that I am gaining weight too fast for my pregnancy. I've been trying to be healthy about increasing my calorie intake but it seems I've made bad choices, gaining about 15 pounds in six weeks. Is that even possible?!! Now I have a real challenge, eating healthy, doing pregnancy-safe exercises, and slowing down my weigh gain. I'm 12 weeks pregnant so I have 24 more weeks to go, I could use some healthly-minded friends!

Replies

• diligentjosh
    Options
    I don't know much about all that pregnancy hooplah, but I do know you need to be careful and do not cut yourself short, because you would be cutting your baby short. I would reccomend you talk to your prenatal pediatrician and make sure you get what you need to get for the baby, even if it can be counterproductive for you. The baby will only weight about 5-10 lbs, but you will probably gain 40, and it may stick with you for about 3 months after, because of heavy water retention and (lactation?).

My basic reccomendation: go 100% by what your pediatrician or whatever-you-call-em doctor says, as they are schooled in this stuff.
  • hajir7
    hajir7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My advice is be very careful, gaining wait during pregnancy is not necesary at all and you will have hard time losing it later:) you don't need to worry about losing it now, just eat healthy all the healthy options, take your doctor advices about exercise.
    My younget child is 9years old, I gain 30 pound during and after the pregnancy, I spend long time strugling to lose all of them.
    good luck
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    you really don't need extra cals until third trimester or late in your 2nd. I gained 20 lbs on vacation in October, but it's all water weight (I dropped 10 within a week of getting home just by getting back to my regularly scheduled eating routine). Focus on eating whole, unprocessed foods that are nourishing to your body & your baby. Follow your hunger cues, but try to choose foods that give you more caloric bang for your buck.